The Claremont reminds me of an old school hotel - the grand hotels of the past, because it is one of them. It is also an expensive private club that caters to the well-off in the area. I thought of the hotel in the movie The Shining when I first saw it, though without the scary bits.
Check in was fast and easy and handled by a friendly clerk. Off to the room in one of 3 tiny elevators and I was walking down a long hallway to my room. The decor is fancy, somewhat Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco style, and you can tell that the hotel's bones are old given the plaster walls and inherent issues with an old building. However, all seemed to be in great repair.
My room had no view, except of the HVAC exchanges and the hills, but I wasn't spending my time there for the view. The room was average in size, plaster walls with a few scuffs here and there but nothing to indicate poor upkeep or maintenance. A king size bed was centered in the room. A small alcove had a chair, tiny table, and a desk upon which the basket honor bar rested. A large flat screen TV sat atop a dresser to the side. My package included parking (the lots to the hotel are gated), internet (I think, can't recall for sure), and the recreation fee that would otherwise add another $25 to the daily room rate for access to the gym, pools, etc.
The bathroom had no windows but plenty of light streamed in via an opaque skylight. That was a nice touch. The shower stall was an enclosed one, and poor ventilation was apparent for there were mildew stains in the grout on the shower ceiling and in other parts of the stall, including black mildew at the door latch. The rest of the bathroom was nice with the exception of a commercial-looking toilet that was adjacent to the door (vs. being placed back away from the door). The toilet placement = easy noise intrusion into the bedroom when being used = awkward!
The hotel hosts many private events and no wonder, the feel and look of the place gives off an aura of a time past, which is not easily achieved unless you have the structure to go with it. The views from the balconies are beautiful and the resident restaurant serves modern California cuisine.
Overall the Claremont is wonderful property. Head over there to be pampered!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opening its doors in 1915, Claremont Club & Spa has been revered as one of America's iconic luxury hotels. As it celebrates its 100th anniversary, Fairmont Hotels and Resorts is proud to unveil our newest member of the Fairmont collection, ushering in a new era of luxury for the next 100 years! Overlooking the San Francisco Bay, Claremont Club & Spa in Berkeley sets new heights in service, amenities, and accommodations. For the past 100 years, Claremont has been recognized as an icon in the Bay Area. Conveniently located in the heart of Berkeley, the hotel is only a 20-minute drive from downtown San Francisco. Private parking is available. Its 276 beautifully appointed rooms offer a mix of old world charm and California comfort, many boasting breathtaking views of San Francisco. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Fairmont Hotels, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Cheap Tickets and Travelocity so you can book your Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Claremont Hotel Club Berkeley
- Claremont Hotel Club And Spa
- Claremont Resort Berkeley
- Claremont Hotel Berkeley