Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel
  • Restaurant
$131
$120
  • Pool
Berkeley Rodeway Inn(Berkeley)(Great Value!)
$130
Marina Inn(Berkeley)
$99
Agoda.com
1,586 results
All reviewstennis courtssteam roommeritage restaurantgrand old hotelbay viewbeautiful hotelsan franciscohotel guestsold schoolold worldberkeley hillsthe east baygolden gatefitness centervalet parkingold styleparagon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Our stay at the Claremont was lovely! It is a beautiful hotel with superb customer service! We enjoyed a great meal at their restaurant, The Paragon. The food was very good and the view from the balcony was breathtaking. The weather during our stay couldn't have been better. Enjoyed every minute of our stay.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a view...looking out over the San Francisco Bay at night was amazing.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dlb_skb
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

From the moment you arrive at The Claremont Hotel, Club & Spa until the time you leave, we want everyone to be relaxed, comfortable and well taken care of. We are so glad that you enjoyed the amazing views as well as your dining experience at Paragon. With perfect weather and the best of accommodations, what more could you ask for a getaway? Thank you for your review, we look forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have visited the Hotel many times in the past and have always had fond recollections of my time there, particularly at the Spa. This time when visiting, I was particularly disappointed though. In addition to the "public gym" feel of the Spa- too many people, too few services representatives, an ambiance of agitation, the obvious lack of amenities (the majority of showers were out of service) was very unsatisfying. The peeling paint and chipping grout just added to the displeasing feel of a once upon a time wonderful spa. The hot tub now surrounded by multiple metal rails has an aged physical rehabilitation feel rather than a relaxing, fun, girl's getaway feel. The Spa treatments were uninspiring, lacking the professional care and attention of prior times. Overall, I am sad to see a once rejuvenating Spa destination transform into a dismal and disappointing experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank funtriptaker_10

While we are certainly glad you enjoyed parts your stay, it is disappointing to learn that we did not impress you at every turn. We will take this an opportunity to share your comments with our maintenance and spa associates as well as our management team to ensure that the room is in its best condition. It is disheartening to know that you did not have better experience while you were here and while we never like to read that one of our guests was not fully satisfied, we are always grateful for the feedback. Thank you for sharing your opinions and thoughts.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We have stayed at the Claremont a couple of times while visiting family in Berkeley. What an amazing property! The rooms are not your typical cookie cutter big chain boxes. Each room is a unique and lovingly updated gem. The staff are attentive, professional and friendly. We feel like we have stepped back in time when we visit to a genteel era when customer service was valued. We love the Claremont and will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Upper floors give you a magnificent bay view
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

The Claremont Hotel Cub & Spa truly is unique, thank you for sharing your review of the time you spent with us! Built in the early days of the Gold Rush as a private home, every guestroom in our grand, historic hotel is completely different from the next. We couldn’t be happier that you and your family enjoyed your stay so much and we all look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

My son and I came to Berkeley to tour the University, so we only stayed one night. We arrived very tired and were immediately impressed by the front lobby. It is incredibly clean and gracious, not to mention HUGE. The check-in staff were very helpful and friendly. Since it looked so nice, and we were so tired, we decided to stay in for dinner. The man who checked us in recommended the Paragon and said we would not need a reservation. When we got downstairs at 6:00 pm, it was already crowded and I assumed we would have trouble getting seated. When they found out we didn't have reservations, they STILL offered us three different seating options and couldn't have been nicer about it. The food was absolutely delicious and, though we had been told by friends that we MUST go into town for dinner, we felt we couldn't have done any better than what we ate at the Paragon. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was quite large, if old fashioned. My only complaint was a slight mold smell that I think was coming from the air conditioning unit. We also ordered room service for breakfast, which was excellent. All in all, a wonderful (if short) stay. Be warned, however, it is not cheap. If you are looking for budget accommodation, this is not the place.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Hilstar211

An unexpected surprise certainly can be the best kind! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and appreciation of The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa! Knowing you found your guestroom accommodations to be so spacious and comfortable is wonderful to read. Paragon offers some of the best in casual dining in the Bay Area and it is always our desire to provide the very best in service to all of our guests who dine with us. We will be sure to share your comments with our maintenance team to ensure that all areas are at their best. Best wishes to you and your son in your college search, we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Reservation & Front Desk staff- I checked out the website (www.claremontresort.com) and then called the 800 number to make reservations (800-551-7266). My wife and I desperately needed respite as we have been caretakers for our 21 year old daughter with Leukemia for the past year. We're exhausted. I explained to the reservations staff that I was looking for "a whirlpool bath in our room." The person that I spoke to didn't speak very good English and didn't understand what I was talking about. So, I hung up very frustrated. I called back a few days later and got someone who know what I was talking about (or SO I thought). When we arrived, I was having severe hip pain from a recent hip replacement. We got the key and went in the room...NO WHIRLPOOL! The room was T-I-N-Y and had a big screen TV 90 degrees from the foot of the bed. In order to watch the TV you would have to swing your head at a right angle (almost impossible to do from bed). I schlepped our luggage back to the front desk (I'm cheap and didn't want to give a bellboy a tip). The front desk person said that there was absolutely nothing available except a room with two double beds (but it did have a whirlpool). I asked for the General Manager and told him I wanted my money back...I was going home. I was steaming mad (but kept my voice and demeanor down). He went back to the computer and VIOLA! he found an adequate room. A king sized bed with a whirlpool. The guy was gaming me, he was WAY too slick. I hated our front desk experience. I didn't want to slip him a $20 or a $50 to get what I thought I'd already reserved. I don't like to be played! Staff- Put the customer needs first! They did NOT! There is a management problem here.
Oh, also, I asked the maid if we could have a later check-in. She was rather rude and said she has nothing to do with that but to call the front desk. I think she could have been nicer with her response.

Building- Beautiful on the outside & VERY tired on the inside. I rather liked the musty smell in the hallways as it reminded me of days gone by (but you might not). The hallways on the floors are stark and have exposed wiring that's painted over. Getting off the elevators you can see brass doorways that need immediate replacement...fix it! In our room, the card key worked sometimes and other times didn't. The view was excellent looking over the bay! The in-room spa wouldn't hold water. In order to use it my wife layed down while I stood up over her and plugged the whirlpool hole with my foot. Then she was able to do the same for me. We had MANY laughs at the Claremont's expense.

Spa- My hip was hurting quite a bit and I needed help. I didn't sleep much because of it. I went to the spa and found it very relaxing. It wasn't quite as nice as others I'd been to but it was very good. I'd recommend it. The staff was very, very nice and very kind. They asked a few questions about me and I appreciated the personal touch. They were awesome! Perhaps the Spa managers should switch with the front desk/reservation managers. I'm serious with my suggestion. I went away relaxed and able to function for a full day! Hats off to the Spa folks!

All in all, I wouldn't recommend the hotel but would recommend the Spa.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple