“Beautiful Resort!”

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beautiful Resort!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed there for a weekend with a friend and it was a great overall experience. They have sports, an amazing spa, and a to-die-for view at the bar of the bay. There is not a lot around the property so a rental car is a must unless you want to spend $70-$80 one way into San Francisco for dinner. I imagine this would also be a great space for a wedding party.
Their grab and go breakfast in the morning was more than enough with bagels, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, lattes and coffee, and fresh fruit containers. Also, the hotel was very quiet with a very comfortable bed, which after a long flight from the east coast is a must.
The only reason this did not get 5 stars (or bubbles?) is because they were having serious trouble with the parking system at the time and even though we had a parking pass that was supposed to allow us in and out it didn't work for us or others and was a bit frustrating. Overall, I will stay here again next time I'm in the area.
Only other con was our room only had a shower, so that might be something to ask for if you are looking to soak in a tub.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Each and every guest that walks through our doors is very much a special guest at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa! We are thrilled you enjoyed your weekend stay with us and that you found your accommodations to be so comfortable. Having access to a quick, satisfying breakfast can be so important and we are glad you enjoyed the grab and go options we offer. We must apologize for any inconvenience you experienced while with regard to parking but it seems as it if did not impact your overall stay too greatly and for that we are grateful. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again, thank you for your lovely review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
south lake tahoe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Every employee was so incredibly friendly ... and it seemed genuine. It made you want to stay on the property. Then the food, tennis clinic, massage ... all matched the service. I wish every hotel had this level of service.

Room Tip: Windows are small, but from my side of the bed I could see the Golden Gate Bridge. Would definitely...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tahoelocal10
It truly warms are hearts to read your feedback and know that our associates have provided you with such a memorable experience at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa. We take special care to create a truly welcoming and hospitable environment so that all of our guests find their ultimate retreat when staying here. Thank you for sharing your review, we hope to see you again soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

yes it is a very nice place but don't stay in room 312 unless you are alone and under 5 feet tall. The shower is meant for someone very small and there is only one chair so only one person can sit down at a time. And if you use the toilet, check to see if the toilet seat fits the toilet, otherwise you are in for a very cold surprise every time you sit down. Every room is different so just check out the room first. Don't bring a guest to the pool - that is $25.00, don't use the coffee in the room - yes you got it - more $$$. For the price of the room, it should include 1 or 2 guests at the pool, a shower you can use, two chairs, and free coffee in the room. And a toilet seat that fits. But don't forget they charge you a $25 resort fee - not sure what that is for - so you can use the pool.... Alone. Very nice but watch for the extra charges and check out the room first.

Room Tip: ask to see the room first. Look at the number of chairs, the shower head and make sure you check to...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for your viewpoint. It is disappointing to learn that you were troubled by any of our fees however we do have several packages that include facility and parking charges to provide a reasonable alternative for all of our guests. As part of the resort amenities open to guests of the hotel, we offer 3 pools, tennis courts, Mind & Body Center, fitness center, yoga studio, Spa and a Kid's Club day camp. It can be disappointing when a stay does not turn out exactly as planned. Each and every one of our guests is highly valued and your feedback is appreciated. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night on business 10/28. First impression, I'm not going to lie, was this looks like the overlook hotel in that movie "the Shinning". The main enterance is a bit understated. I wasn't sure I was going in the main enterance, or a side door. Check in was a breeze and the staff was friendly and welcoming. As I walked down the wide, never ending hallway to my first room floor, I was sure I would find 2 creepy little girls at the end somewhere. My keey didn't work, but a housekeeper saw me struggling and quickly stepped in to help. The room was small, but nice. The bathroom looked to be newly remodeled. The bed is quite firm, but I prefer a firm bed. I ordered roomservice and was greeted by name as I placed my order, which arrived in under 30 mintues. The waiter was again very friendly, and checked back roughly 2 hours later to see if everything was satisfactory, and if he could pick up the tray. I do prefer a more modern hotel, but as this hotel is close to my business needs, I'm sure I'll be back. However, if you like old school hotels with plenty of history and friendly staff, this is your place!

Room Tip: For breakfast, try the "grab and go" option.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your stay at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa. Our hotel certainly has a rich history with furnishings and architecture that pay tribute to an earlier time. Located just minutes from so many of the Berkeley area's corporate centers, our hotel provides the perfect accommodations when visiting the area for business. Impeccable hospitality is of utmost importance to all of us and we will be sure to share your kind words with our associates. We would be happy to welcome you back again for your next visit, business or pleasure.
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We thought we got a great price through Priceline for this establishment for a Friday night stay. Little did we know that we were going to be charged an additional $25 for parking AND another additional $25 for the privilege of staying at the resort. REALLY??? Shame on Priceline for hidden additional costs and shame on Claremont Hotel. Now that I have vented, the stay itself was fine. The woman checking us in couldn't have been nicer. We got a corner room on the second floor. There was a funny smell in our room when we got there so we just opened both windows for a nice cross breeze which was great. The bedding was great quality. One last little thing.......the fancy looking pen on the desk still had its little sticker on it that said "made in China".

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We also believe it is the little things that count and while we are so glad to know you enjoyed your accommodations, we couldn't be more disappointed to learn that you felt mislead in any way by our fees. While we can't speak for any third-party booking sites, our website is the best resource for information about our offerings but we must apologize if anything was not clear for you. Our resort fee enables guests to enjoy a wide range of incredible amenities and activities such as complimentary Internet, 3-hours of childcare, access to our pools, tennis courts and countless health club and spa choices and more. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, it is our hope to welcome you back again and fully impress you with all we have to offer.
Aspen, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We just spent one night at the Claremont on the suggestion of friends from the area. Because one of them works at Pixar, we were able to get an embarrassingly great rate, so my comments about and rating of the value are heavily influenced by that context. However, it gave us a chance to stay in a place which normally would be out of our budget range.

We wish we could have stayed longer, considering what the place has to offer and how reasonable a rate we had. The hotel reminds me of the Coronado (San Diego) and some of the great old resorts in the eastern states. It's wonderful that these places maintain their quality and charm after some 100 or so years. One reviewer pointed out that the decor is old fashioned, but don't think the bathrooms aren't gorgeous and modern. I'm not sure what is meant by "sophisticated" but a modern redo in the rooms would be anachronistic. I'm all in favor of modernized bathrooms and refurbished rooms when rugs, drapes, beds and furniture are shabby, but I felt I was in a place of high quality.

What drew my attention outside the room were things like the beautiful polished brass elevators and other design and architectural details that have been lovingly cared for. Then there's the spa and pool...the pool is gorgeous and lap-swimmers will be happy; several lanes are separated by ropes to facilitate lap swimming.
We played ping-pong for a while near the pool, and went into the spa to investigate. The club is not just for the hotel; it's a health spa and club available to be joined by people living in the area. In addition to the usual spa treatments, facilities (eg steam room, sauna and jacuzzi), tennis courts and pool, there are fitness classes every day (eg yoga, pilates and more). The offerings are numerous and are included in the daily $25 facilities charge. If one avails oneself of even just one class, it pays for itself. But if one were not to use the facilities at all, it's a significant add-on to the price of the room. Another charge is the $25 parking fee, which is also steep. Here's where we lucked out. Our rate included both of those extra charges.

The beds and linens were very comfortable. Our room had a partial view of the bay from its one window. The rooms can vary a lot because of the architecture of the building. While we had only one window, the room was sunny and cheerful. It was nice to be able to open the window (unlike in too many modern hotels) and enjoy the fresh air.

We asked to move from the first room we were given because it overlooked part of the mechanical system, probably the ventilation system, which was noisy. When we went downstairs to change it the receptionist apologized profusely, saying he knew about this and should have remembered. He then gave us a room on a high floor in a different area and we were happy campers.

The staff was entirely helpful and courteous. We did not eat at the hotel, but can recommend a restaurant a block away called Rick and Ann's cafe. Our friends recommended it and we went for breakfast. If you like pancakes, try the multigrain ones. They were light and fluffy, which is unusual for multigrain.

We also walked to College Ave., which takes about 10 min., where there are a few blocks of boutiques, coffee shops and restaurants. The Beanery was good for coffee.

Room Tip: Be sure you're not near the roof generator or ventilator or whatever it was that made our room n...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tiggerflute
The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa dates back to the early days of the Gold Rush and spans nearly 100 years of service. It always such a pleasure when a guest share their appreciation for our historic property. Indeed, no two guestrooms are exactly alike with something for every taste and preference. Thank you so much for letting us know about your stay, from your experience at our spa and numerous resort activities to strolling the Berkeley area and relaxing in your beautifully appointed guestroom. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back for another stay.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

It was a difficult time for the receptionists to register 150+ delegates almost all of whom arrived together and it took a very long time. I was disappointed that a) the girl registering me managed to key in the wrong details on my card several times which then "froze". I then spent half an hour ringing the UK sorting this out and on getting to my room (which I had reserved well in advance of the conference) a huge disappointment, it over-looked the rear of the hotel over the flat roofs staright at air-con units. I did manage to change my room but as a block booking for the conference I discovered that many delegates also had the grim view. My new room was large with a great view but the ornate drapes were deep in dust. The bathroom was very small but adequate. I found some of the conference rooms were deadly but the awards evening meal was extremely good which couldn't be said about all the meals sampled. The terrace leading from the bar and many rooms had stunning views of the bay. I found the Claremont rather faded, old-fashioned, huge with long long corridors to reach the rooms and expensive. Didn't have time to sample the pool or the spa.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view when you book and also one that is relatively close to the lifts. The hi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
While we are certainly pleased to know you enjoyed some aspects of your stay, we couldn't be more disappointed that your entire experience was not as positive. When a great number of guests are checking in for a large event at the same time, things can certainly become hectic but it is certainly regrettable if it was cause for any inconvenience or if there was any confusion while processing your card. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the issues you experienced during your recent conference visit to our hotel, as what you described does not reflect our high standard of service and we appreciate that you have brought this to our attention. We apologize if your accommodations were not as you hoped they would be and will be sure to share your comments with our associates. It is our hope that we can have another opportunity to fully impress you with all we have to offer. Thank you for your feedback.