“If you want old school.....”

Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Memphis, Tennessee
“If you want old school.....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night on business 10/28. First impression, I'm not going to lie, was this looks like the overlook hotel in that movie "the Shinning". The main enterance is a bit understated. I wasn't sure I was going in the main enterance, or a side door. Check in was a breeze and the staff was friendly and welcoming. As I walked down the wide, never ending hallway to my first room floor, I was sure I would find 2 creepy little girls at the end somewhere. My keey didn't work, but a housekeeper saw me struggling and quickly stepped in to help. The room was small, but nice. The bathroom looked to be newly remodeled. The bed is quite firm, but I prefer a firm bed. I ordered roomservice and was greeted by name as I placed my order, which arrived in under 30 mintues. The waiter was again very friendly, and checked back roughly 2 hours later to see if everything was satisfactory, and if he could pick up the tray. I do prefer a more modern hotel, but as this hotel is close to my business needs, I'm sure I'll be back. However, if you like old school hotels with plenty of history and friendly staff, this is your place!

Room Tip: For breakfast, try the "grab and go" option.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your stay at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa. Our hotel certainly has a rich history with furnishings and architecture that pay tribute to an earlier time. Located just minutes from so many of the Berkeley area's corporate centers, our hotel provides the perfect accommodations when visiting the area for business. Impeccable hospitality is of utmost importance to all of us and we will be sure to share your kind words with our associates. We would be happy to welcome you back again for your next visit, business or pleasure.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We thought we got a great price through Priceline for this establishment for a Friday night stay. Little did we know that we were going to be charged an additional $25 for parking AND another additional $25 for the privilege of staying at the resort. REALLY??? Shame on Priceline for hidden additional costs and shame on Claremont Hotel. Now that I have vented, the stay itself was fine. The woman checking us in couldn't have been nicer. We got a corner room on the second floor. There was a funny smell in our room when we got there so we just opened both windows for a nice cross breeze which was great. The bedding was great quality. One last little thing.......the fancy looking pen on the desk still had its little sticker on it that said "made in China".

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We also believe it is the little things that count and while we are so glad to know you enjoyed your accommodations, we couldn't be more disappointed to learn that you felt mislead in any way by our fees. While we can't speak for any third-party booking sites, our website is the best resource for information about our offerings but we must apologize if anything was not clear for you. Our resort fee enables guests to enjoy a wide range of incredible amenities and activities such as complimentary Internet, 3-hours of childcare, access to our pools, tennis courts and countless health club and spa choices and more. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, it is our hope to welcome you back again and fully impress you with all we have to offer.
Aspen, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We just spent one night at the Claremont on the suggestion of friends from the area. Because one of them works at Pixar, we were able to get an embarrassingly great rate, so my comments about and rating of the value are heavily influenced by that context. However, it gave us a chance to stay in a place which normally would be out of our budget range.

We wish we could have stayed longer, considering what the place has to offer and how reasonable a rate we had. The hotel reminds me of the Coronado (San Diego) and some of the great old resorts in the eastern states. It's wonderful that these places maintain their quality and charm after some 100 or so years. One reviewer pointed out that the decor is old fashioned, but don't think the bathrooms aren't gorgeous and modern. I'm not sure what is meant by "sophisticated" but a modern redo in the rooms would be anachronistic. I'm all in favor of modernized bathrooms and refurbished rooms when rugs, drapes, beds and furniture are shabby, but I felt I was in a place of high quality.

What drew my attention outside the room were things like the beautiful polished brass elevators and other design and architectural details that have been lovingly cared for. Then there's the spa and pool...the pool is gorgeous and lap-swimmers will be happy; several lanes are separated by ropes to facilitate lap swimming.
We played ping-pong for a while near the pool, and went into the spa to investigate. The club is not just for the hotel; it's a health spa and club available to be joined by people living in the area. In addition to the usual spa treatments, facilities (eg steam room, sauna and jacuzzi), tennis courts and pool, there are fitness classes every day (eg yoga, pilates and more). The offerings are numerous and are included in the daily $25 facilities charge. If one avails oneself of even just one class, it pays for itself. But if one were not to use the facilities at all, it's a significant add-on to the price of the room. Another charge is the $25 parking fee, which is also steep. Here's where we lucked out. Our rate included both of those extra charges.

The beds and linens were very comfortable. Our room had a partial view of the bay from its one window. The rooms can vary a lot because of the architecture of the building. While we had only one window, the room was sunny and cheerful. It was nice to be able to open the window (unlike in too many modern hotels) and enjoy the fresh air.

We asked to move from the first room we were given because it overlooked part of the mechanical system, probably the ventilation system, which was noisy. When we went downstairs to change it the receptionist apologized profusely, saying he knew about this and should have remembered. He then gave us a room on a high floor in a different area and we were happy campers.

The staff was entirely helpful and courteous. We did not eat at the hotel, but can recommend a restaurant a block away called Rick and Ann's cafe. Our friends recommended it and we went for breakfast. If you like pancakes, try the multigrain ones. They were light and fluffy, which is unusual for multigrain.

We also walked to College Ave., which takes about 10 min., where there are a few blocks of boutiques, coffee shops and restaurants. The Beanery was good for coffee.

Room Tip: Be sure you're not near the roof generator or ventilator or whatever it was that made our room n...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tiggerflute
The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa dates back to the early days of the Gold Rush and spans nearly 100 years of service. It always such a pleasure when a guest share their appreciation for our historic property. Indeed, no two guestrooms are exactly alike with something for every taste and preference. Thank you so much for letting us know about your stay, from your experience at our spa and numerous resort activities to strolling the Berkeley area and relaxing in your beautifully appointed guestroom. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back for another stay.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

It was a difficult time for the receptionists to register 150+ delegates almost all of whom arrived together and it took a very long time. I was disappointed that a) the girl registering me managed to key in the wrong details on my card several times which then "froze". I then spent half an hour ringing the UK sorting this out and on getting to my room (which I had reserved well in advance of the conference) a huge disappointment, it over-looked the rear of the hotel over the flat roofs staright at air-con units. I did manage to change my room but as a block booking for the conference I discovered that many delegates also had the grim view. My new room was large with a great view but the ornate drapes were deep in dust. The bathroom was very small but adequate. I found some of the conference rooms were deadly but the awards evening meal was extremely good which couldn't be said about all the meals sampled. The terrace leading from the bar and many rooms had stunning views of the bay. I found the Claremont rather faded, old-fashioned, huge with long long corridors to reach the rooms and expensive. Didn't have time to sample the pool or the spa.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view when you book and also one that is relatively close to the lifts. The hi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
While we are certainly pleased to know you enjoyed some aspects of your stay, we couldn't be more disappointed that your entire experience was not as positive. When a great number of guests are checking in for a large event at the same time, things can certainly become hectic but it is certainly regrettable if it was cause for any inconvenience or if there was any confusion while processing your card. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the issues you experienced during your recent conference visit to our hotel, as what you described does not reflect our high standard of service and we appreciate that you have brought this to our attention. We apologize if your accommodations were not as you hoped they would be and will be sure to share your comments with our associates. It is our hope that we can have another opportunity to fully impress you with all we have to offer. Thank you for your feedback.
Champaign, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

This is one of those old style hotels which tries ( and for the most part ) to be classy. You can expect a very classy crowd here and consequently, the staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms aren't very sophisticated primarily because the decor is kinda old. But it's definitely a place where you can spend a few days. The location is really good and you get some pretty spectacular views of the city. A good place to hold business conferences, weddings etc. I definitely liked the experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank thegurubase
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa is nearly a century old with all of the historic charm guests can expect while visiting. Our associates love to know that each and every guest is enjoying a memorable experience and will be thrilled to learn that you found them to be so friendly and helpful. Thank you for sharing your appreciation for location and amazing San Francisco bay views. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again.
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

I had the opportunity to stay at the Claremont Hotel and Spa, two times this past year for business. The attention to detail begins when you arrive at the front door of this beautiful hotel. Your luggage is graciously taken, which allows you to wander as you make your way to the front desk. Check-in was easy. The meeting rooms met our group's needs and allowed for breakfast and lunch to be served in a different room. Service was consistent, with attention to detail (remembered what I had ordered, did not have to ask for drink refills.) Rooms were very comfortable. Nice touch with the large, comfortable chairs. I had ordered room service both times, and each time was delivered timely, and hot. Salmon was delicious. Did not have an opportunity to use their Spa facilities, but plan to in the future.

Room Tip: Corner rooms seem to be a bit larger.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AliciaLosAngeles_CA
We sincerely appreciate your recommendation and review of The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa. It is always our pleasure to help create a memorable experience for our guests and we are particularly thrilled your business meeting was such a success. Our team loves what they do and we will be sure to share your kind comments with everyone. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again and you definitely must try the spa next time!
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We especially enjoyed our stay here, few miles from the University, to visit our elder son student. The hotel is comfortable, clean and quite, with many choices of facilities to practice sport. The garden is nice and pleasant. The food is good, the restaurant has a good choice of California wines. The hotel decoration seems to be a bit oldies but anyway, a week, here far from home was nice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa has a unique history, dating back to the early days of the Gold Rush! Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay as well as your appreciation for our location, so convenient when visiting students at UC Berkeley. We offer a wide variety of activities for guests to enjoy from swimming and tennis to our full fitness facility and spa. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again for another great time.