Traveled to San Francisco from LA during Fathers Day weekend. Usually, a trip to San Francisco meant staying at a hotel by the Embarcadero, but after our last unfortunate hotel experience there, we decided to expand our search and looked at staying East of the city, as driving was not going to be an issue. I found a deal on Groupon and was very pleased to find a resort hotel for half the price of stay at a Holiday Inn or Best Western in the city itself. I always worry when hotels advertise themselves as "resorts"-- that all they have may just be a pool, and now they have an excuse to tack on a "Resort Fee". We didn't have much of an itinerary, so majority of the weekend was really just going to be spent lounging around the hotel (and therefore it had to be good). So fingers crossed, I went and booked our stay. We upgraded the room to a Spa Room.
My husband arrived at the hotel a day before, I and our baby flew in the next day. He calls me at work to rave "the place is awesome!" as he is on his way to spin class. The place indeed was awesome. The Spa Room was very spacious, came with a king bed and had a sitting area with a couch that converts to a bed too. The bathrooms were clean and spacious. Because we had a baby with us, I noticed that areas under tables and by appliances were dusty (the things you see when you have to get down on the floor). I guess either they are not very meticulous with cleaning, or their big vacuum cleaners just cant squeeze into those spaces. Overall the room was clean, sheets looked and smelled fresh.
Our rooms were right on the Spa floor, so we got in our bathrobes and walked a few steps to the spa to get our hydrotherapy sessions. I have to say the hydrotherapy area is gorgeous-- think jacuzzis and jet tubs with views of the Golden Gate Bridge, and showers of every kind. The Spa floor also had convenient access to the back parking lot, the tennis courts, the swimming pool and the Club. As Hotel guests, we had access to their members-only health club and pools. My husband was ecstatic over the spin classes, he made me bring his bike shorts and shoes in (see, I told his there were spin classes, but he didnt think he'd go). I went to the Pilates classes-- the instructors were so good, I felt taller and leaner after each class. As for the pool area, all I can speak of is the kiddie pool :)
We had drinks at the Paragon two nights in a row. Their bar food is yummy. There was a jazz band playing on Saturday night. We tried the Sunday brunch at the Meritage, and that was exceptional. It was mildly irritating that we asked at the front desk about it, and they totally gave us incorrect information about the price, then called the restaurant and was told it was fully booked for the 11AM slot, recommended we go to a different hotel brunch. After calling other hotels, I called the restaurant again and asked "Do you have openings for any other time in the day?" and that's when they said "you can come in at 2PM!". Sigh, I wish they had just offered that when I called in the first place... save me the stress and the runaround (hence the low grade for service). There was a carving stations, loads and loads of crab legs, overflowing champagne, ample hot and cold food selection, an awesome dessert bar. We met up with friends and their daughter said "Can we stay here too?!"
So what else can I say? It was a very relaxing and refreshing weekend at a beautiful hotel/resort. The Club & Spa really made the difference. Without the Groupon, I would not have thought to check this place out, too intimidated by the cost. I am so glad I did (giving myself pats on the back for a great find). Still giving them 5 stars because overall loved the place, the good outweighed the bad. Would definitely come back, even if I had to pay full price :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opening its doors in 1915, Claremont Club & Spa has been revered as one of America's iconic luxury hotels. As it celebrates its 100th anniversary, Fairmont Hotels and Resorts is proud to unveil our newest member of the Fairmont collection, ushering in a new era of luxury for the next 100 years! Overlooking the San Francisco Bay, Claremont Club & Spa in Berkeley sets new heights in service, amenities, and accommodations. For the past 100 years, Claremont has been recognized as an icon in the Bay Area. Conveniently located in the heart of Berkeley, the hotel is only a 20-minute drive from downtown San Francisco. Private parking is available. Its 276 beautifully appointed rooms offer a mix of old world charm and California comfort, many boasting breathtaking views of San Francisco. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hotwire, Fairmont Hotels, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Odigeo, getaroom.com and Travelocity so you can book your Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Claremont Hotel Club And Spa
- Claremont Hotel Club Berkeley
- Claremont Resort Berkeley
- Claremont Hotel Berkeley