WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel

Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
berkeley
“Best reservation assistance EVER!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

My name is Paul Eldridge and I am from Berkeley. To make a very long story short, I've had some very dear friends from a fairytale village in Austria (Losenstein) visit America for the first time. Their plans were fluid and I did my best to make lodging plans on their behalf even though their plans seemed to change often due to changing circumstances.

I'd like to first say that meeting my Austrian family (whom I initially met on Christmas Eve in 1977 when I arrived upon their front doorsteps as a complete stranger) was a life-changing event for me. They took this complete stranger (me) into their home only a couple hours before their family was to begin celebrating Christmas and showered me with kindness, thoughfulness, generosity and love -- even a four foot deep bubble bath!
What an incredibly charitable family!

I have kept in touch with my Austrian family at Christmas time for all these years (I never forgot the special feeling I had when I was in their company) and I have just now been richly blessed by their very first trip to America since first meeting them on that magical Christmas Eve 34 years ago. I have sincerely hoped to make their first visit to California and America a very special and memorable one and three wonderful people at your front desk (sweet and kind and genuinely caring and concerned for my Austrian family) have TWICE gone out of their way to help provide perfect accommodations that will greatly add to my Austrian family's fond memories of their stay in America.

Agnes, Lori and James have been patient as saints in their treatment of me as I tried to work out accommodations at your fine hotel for my favorite family in the world and each has gone way beyond the extra mile to help me. And they expended all of this effort with smiles on their faces and smiles in their eyes and I was awestruck by how important my Austrian family became to each of them (Agnes, Lori and James) as well.

A hotel of your excellent quality, I'm sure, looks for top-notch people to interact with its guests. Understandable. But I hope you treasure Agnes, Lori and James as much as I do and treat them in the same fashion that my Austrian family first treated me 34 years ago because you can't replace such super high caliber folks as Agnes, Lori and James. They are all rare finds and I hope you value them as highly as they valued both my Austrian family and myself as they ever-so professionally helped to select just the right room accommodations and package.

Kind, professional, concerned, thoughtful. Agnes, Lori and James are the best. I've stayed at countless hotels over the last 30 years but I have never experienced anywhere close to the absolutely perfect service and professionalism that I received from the three of them. I will tell others about them (rave to others about them, actually!) and I am grateful to them for all they did for me. THANK YOU, Agnes, Lori and James. You have added much happiness to my Austrian family and certainly to me, too. I appreciate all your time and effort on my behalf. You three are truly AMAZING!!!

Sincerely and respectfully,

Paul Eldridge

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TFelsen, General Manager at Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
What a lovely story and we’re honored that you chose to share it with us. We strive to accommodate our guests at every turn and your kind and thoughtful acknowledgment will let them know what an impact they made. It was a pleasure to be a part of such a wonderful event and we hope your Austrian family enjoyed their time here in the states. Thank you for putting your trust in us and we hope to have an opportunity to welcome them back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
Ventura County, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

Lovely grand old hotel with style. Great food at the Meritage restaurant. We looked out over the back of the hotel (HVAC units, etc) but that did not bother us, especially at the rate we paid. Something that is totally my fault because I am sure it was in the notes before I booked but I almost choked on upon check in was the $24/night parking fee AND the $24/night resort fee (and they charge tax on top of the resort fee.) Moved my SUPER AWESOME rate to just a GOOD rate. We would go back but I would calculate in the extra $50/night into the rate.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank dognponyshow
TFelsen, General Manager at Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2011
We can appreciate the surprise you must have had when unexpected charges appeared. All fees and the details of what they include are available on our website, but we still regret any difficulties this may have caused for you. In the end, it sounds like you enjoyed your stay at the Claremont Hotel Club & Spa. Please visit us again soon!
Palos Verdes Estates, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

Ms. Shabnam Vakil, the Front Office Supervisor went above and beyond the call of duty when we had to modify our room arrangements at check in. A situation made a bit complicated by our schedule being in flux as we moved our Berkeley student in was smoothed over by Ms. Vakil. Pray that she's on duty when you arrive!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ckg49er
TFelsen, General Manager at Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
We’re just happy that we were able to accommodate you during this eventful time. We will be sure to pass along your thoughtful, kind words and appreciate that you’ve shared them here. We hope to welcome you back again soon to the Claremont Hotel Club & Spa.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

Stayed here with a group of friends, and while it was decent stay, overall it was overpriced. The amenities are top notch. After all, it is a resort. However, the rooms were very mediocre. We just got the basic rooms, which were still around $200. It was very small and for a "resort", I thought it was nothing special. Plus, they charge $24 for a "resort fee" and another $24 for parking. Way too overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We’re pleased that you enjoyed your stay and all the amenities available, but it’s disappointing we didn’t meet your expectations in terms of overall price and value. Should you consider a future stay, we would be happy to help you find something that best suits your needs and budget. We hope to welcome you back in the future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

My room was right by the elevator. All night - and all morning, starting at about 5:30 am - I could clearly hear the "PING" of the elevator coming and going. It was very disturbing. I will not return -- might as well stay at a Motel 6 by the freeway. It would be about as loud.

Room Tip: NOT by the elevator,
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
TFelsen, General Manager at Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
We are truly disappointed that we did not have the opportunity to address your concerns during the time of your stay. We hope you’ll give us another try in the future and please don’t hesitate to let us help you have the best possible stay at our resort.
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2011

I've visited the Claremont Spa on several occasions over the years - the best in the Bay Area. When our family was moving to an international destination, we were provided 5 nights in a local hotel while our house was being packed up for the move. Without hesitation, I booked the Claremont - over any San Francisco Bay Area hotel. This place is a destination resort with full on luxury spa, gym, restaurant and pool. If you want to be pampered, this is the place! They even have a FREE kids club for a set number of hours each day. The rooms are small - but this is an old school resort with modern amenities. The views are amazing. If they had the right staff, they would be 5 star all the way!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
It’s flattering that we inspired you from your visits to choose the Claremont Hotel Club & Spa during your transition. We value your feedback and will share it with our management teams to re-emphasis with our staff the importance of the excellent customer service that is expected of us. We wish you much luck with your move and hope to welcome you and your family when you return to the States for a visit. Thank you for the kind review.
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

We live in Berkeley and as a gift to my husband for his Birthday and Father's Day, I gave him a night stay at the Claremont. We had a WONDERFUL stay! The staff was super nice and the food was delicious (we stayed in and ordered room service). Don't go by the room pictures on their internet sight (they have not updated their pictures yet), they have renovated their rooms and they are beautiful and spacious and some of their rooms have beautiful views of the San Francisco Bay! The rooms here are very affordable! We got the Breakfast Package, which we loved, because you can either go down to their restaurant to get breakfast or have your breakfast delivered to your room, which we did, and it's not a continental breakfast where they choose what kind of breakfast you get, you order off of their menu. Try the Lemon Souffle' Pancakes, their unbelievably delicious! We loved it so much that we decided to stay 2 more nights!

Room Tip: Go to their website to get packages at a great $
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TFelsen, General Manager at Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2011
We always enjoy hearing from guests that are from the local area. We hope to live up to their expectations, knowing how unique it is that they choose to stay at the Claremont Hotel Club & Spa right in their own neighborhood. Thank you for your kind words and please visit us again soon!