“Go somewhere else.”

Graduate Berkeley
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Aweful experience. My wife and I booked over 40 rooms for our special event á few weeks ago. Horrible customer service, constant errors in the booking process (for even the most simple requests and reservations), and many friends and family dissatisfied with their stay (thin walls, power outages, no hot water at times).

Make reservations somewhere else in Berkeley. My recommendation is Hotel Shattuck, Bancroft Hotel, or the Claremont.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Tom C

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Four nights at the Hotel Durant were very pleasant and entirely satisfactory. Proximity to campus was ideal for me. My room (a double double) was as pictured on the website background; cheerful contemporary decor that works well in a 1928 structure. The bathroom was a bit cramped but manageable (again, they are working with 1928 dimensions). Fixtures were entirely modern, and maintenance was fastidious. The staff is polite and pleasant. The bed was extremely comfortable, lighting was good, and I appreciated the upgraded amenities that seem to be sadly lacking in the bigger hotel chains: free wifi, real ceramic coffee mugs (with a GOOD coffee maker and good-quality coffee!), real glasses, cozy bathrobes, upgraded toiletries. I subsequently stayed in a Hilton which was a whole lot more pretense and far less substance...the Hotel Durant does a nice job. No air conditioning, but in the chilliest summer I've experienced in Berkeley in years, I did not need it. (The room had both a ceiling fan and a portable floor fan available, as well as screened windows that opened,) Henry's restaurant was convenient, cozy, and the food was delicious, up to par with my expectations for NorCal. The bar was undergoing renovation, but I have visited there before - it is lively, classy, and they mix some interesting cocktails. A well-recommended stay in every respect.

Room Tip: Double-glazed windows keep things quiet, but ask for a room off Durant if you are light sleeper.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Nikki C
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I had not stepped foot in this hotel for 25 years and was pleasantly surprised. The lobby was chicly decorated. The staff was pleasant. Rooms clean. Bed comfy. Hotel is one block from campus, so very convenient.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank PismoLulu
Reviewed July 30, 2013

In May I received an invitation to a July wedding with rooms "reserved at a special rate" at the Durant. I called immediately but was told those rooms were sold out. They described a specific "Premier" corner room on the Executive floor at a higher price which I reserved. I was unsure if I would have a car and was told I could add valet parking anytime later for $30/day. They were unable to send a confirmation that actually showed this room as reserved for me. I called several weeks ahead to add the valet parking and was told that that was not possible, I needed a different "package".which i had to do to get parking. They could not manage to send a confirmation showing valet parking was now included. A few days before they sent me an e-mail stating that I could not have the promised room. A further e-mail included the first mention that they do not have A/C. With each complication there was an e-mail exchange and multiple phone calls. The staff was very ornery, unfriendly, and unhelpful. I cancelled and stayed at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza instead. We enjoyed it very much.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Can't say more than we loved our stay at this lovely hotel. Rooms were charming, staff friendly and helpful and location perfect. We were on our way back home and thought it would be nice to stop and visit Berkeley. ( I went to school there more years ago than I care to remember. While the hotel was clearly renovated, it nonetheless kept its old charm. I was taken by the friendiness of all staff who went out of their ways to make sure our stay was pleasant. I would definitely reccomend to friends and return for a stay even though I live only an hour away.

Room Tip: Website is not wildly descriptive so a call to the hotel for a description migh help.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bernie H
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This was my second 4-day stay. The hotel is conveniently located right near Berkeley university within a 15 to 20 min walk from a BART station (metro) which takes you to San Francisco.
Nice safe neighborhood.
The hotel has an easy going atmosphere, informal yet helpful. Rooms are nice and clean. No A/C - which is fine except we had a room in the back and as we kept the window open during the night for ventilation we were awoken really early by the loud garbage trucks. Not a plus if you like to sleep in.
Otherwise nice hotel.
You can skip Henry's - the bar and restaurant on the ground floor. The ambience is not inviting, the beautiful bay windows dirty and the prices high. There are plenty of coffee shops etc. on Bancroft and Durant Ave. The BART station is on Shattock Ave, an easy walk, and you'll pass a bookstore and plenty of coffee shops. Generous family policy. Pets allowed. Because of its great location and friendly atmosphere I'll stay there again when I'm in the Bay Area.

Room Tip: If you have a choice, ask not to be put in the back because the garbage pick up is really early and...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank poldi2
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Great location across the street from UC Berkeley and right near restaurants and local shopping. Super easy access to campus. The front desk staff went out of their way to explain the neighborhood and how to get around, and one of them actually gave me his own BART (subway) card out of this own pocket to get me started. My room was very comfortable with a stocked mini-bar and snacks, internet, and tv, etc...

Room Tip: I imagine some rooms on the the lower floors could be noisy as the hotel sits right on a busy street...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business