Great location for visiting Berkeley but also a substantially less expensive alternative to staying in downtown San Francisco, which was my case. The downtown Berkeley BART station is 15-20 minutes walk or 5 minutes on a frequent bus. Door to door from hotel to SF building is a 40-50 minute commute.
Location adjacent to campus, Telegraph St. and not far from central Berkeley. Very lively area.
Bad noise insulation from adjoining rooms and floor above - seems like quite an old building.
Can be noisy outside too sometimes.
Service is not too good:
- I was not notified of packages delivered.
- You are charged for printing a page on the computer in the lobby. Seriously. You are also charged for using the computer for more than 15 minutes per day.
Note: being green, the rooms have no air conditioning . They have a ceiling fan and a floor fan. This is no problem given the climate (I was there in summer) but might be a problem on exceptionally hot days.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- WELCOME BACK TO THE GLORY DAYS OF COLLEGE LIFE, WITH A FEW OF THE NEW COMFORTS YOU PROBABLY DIDN’T HAVE THE FIRST TIME AROUND. Graduate Berkeley—where your intellectual curiosity meets your favorite place to stay. Located one block from the nations' top-ranked public university, UC Berkeley, the Graduate Berkeley, is a full-service, 144 room boutique hotel. Graduate Berkeley is a one block walk to campus at the corner of the city stir and game day buzz. Steps from Telegraph Avenue shops and stops. A quick five-minute walk to entertainment at Cal Memorial Stadium, Cal Performances or the Greek Theater. The hotel is a virtual post card from its counterculture past, Graduate Berkeley now resides in the historically renovated Hotel Durant, making it the most storied place around. The lobby invites nods to the arts and academia, the well-traveled local and Berkeley’s Bohemian roots. Collegiate plaids mix with a faraway but familiar feel, like a home away from home. Thousands of “Nat Geo” magazines journey across the front desk walls, dressing them in California gold. Curl up with a book amidst Ikat patterned easy chairs and printed velvet sofas in deep blues and burgundy with a vintage vibe. Sweeping wood floors are layered with hand-woven rugs from India, while graphic street art mixes with chinoiserie accessories offset by original millwork and moldings. Gather some Golden Bears for a post-game bite at the restaurant Henry’s or convene at a communal wood table; it’s the perfect hub for conversation, camaraderie and robust exchange of ideas and intellect. So whether you’re in town for a meeting or meet up, cheering along with Oski on The Hill or enjoying a show at the Greek, the Graduate Berkeley is here to make it memorable. You will feel like a local, at home again even if it’s your first time in town. Graduate Berkeley rooms are ready for a night like you’ve never had before, where little moments of surprise and discovery will meet you down every corridor and around each corner. This is Graduate—be ready to be inspired. Rooms amenities include complimentary wireless hi-speed internet access, flat screen TV, refrigerator, in-room laptop safe, triple-sheeted linens and designer bath products. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Graduate Berkeley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Durant Hotel Berkeley