“Blast from the past”

Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
“Blast from the past”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Oldstyle Berkeley with charm. Small rooms but well appointed. Parking is reasonable for Berkeley.Staff is exceptional. Only thing to improve: wine list and menu.
I will stay at this hotel again, but take my own wine with me.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Excellent service. self park is a lot just outside the back door. Reserve your parking spot in advance. The lobby is elegantly ornate. Our room had a desk from the Anthropology department and a black & white of a couple of streakers in the bathroom. Plenty of pillows, comfortable bed, ceiling fan and floor fans were nice.So close our high school student was on campus meeting CAL friends in moments to attend classes et al. I would stay again in a heart beat. Cheap & tasty eats close by.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
West Hollywood, California
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I have stayed at The Durant four times and it has always been a pleasant experience. It's a quick 7 block walk from the Berkeley BART station, making it easy to get to from SFO. The decor of the rooms humorously recall dorm rooms and the lobby also has some whimsical academic touches that refer to its very close proximity to the University of California. It's in the heart of the colorful neighborhood that is Berkeley and also adjacent to Oakland. The staff has always been very welcoming and attentive. My requests on the website for down free rooms are always remembered. There is parking available as well.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have bathtubs. Some only have showers. If you really want one, just specify that you d...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2013

As an individual studying Hospitality Management, I can get a bit picky when it comes to service.

Unfortunately we had to wait about 8-10 at the front desk before any one came to help us out, after continuous ringing of the front desk bell. When a girl about my age (early 20's) finally came up to talk to us, she was giggling and completely unprofessional, without apologizing for the wait. Minor details of course, but this is something I catch as an individual in the industry. The only other issue we had during our entire stay was the cleaning staff every morning around 7:30-8ish that were very loud and boisterous and had no restraints on their voice level. For me it was no major issue as I wake up around that time, but my boyfriend for example likes to sleep in until 9-10 which isn't too much to ask for when staying at a hotel.

With that being said, this hotel was great. The decor is a spin on dorm life which of course fits perfectly into the whole atmosphere of Berkeley itself. The rooms were small but had great witty details that were fun to look for when we first arrived in our room. Our room on the top floor also allowed us access to a special lounge that included breakfast which was a nice treat and something great to take advantage of. Unfortunately with our room being on the top floor we could hear the elevator at all hours and again had problems with housekeeping and their noise levels.
I loved the details to this hotel; from the "bong" lamp to the boutique shampoo and conditioner; the entire atmosphere is fun and quirky. What we loved most though was the location; it is absolutely perfect! You are literally a block away from UC Berkeley Campus and just a couple of footsteps away from great food, pubs and funky clothing stores. My boyfriend and I came to California to experience the foodie culture and do "cool" and "different" shopping and unfortunately we were not able to find this in San Francisco, but Berkeley more than made up for this. I would definitely recommend this hotel for its location, but don't expect anything special when it comes to service; which for most people is just fine.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor- you get access to the lounge! Also; ask for a room AWAY from the elevat...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emmynominated
california
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This hotel is ideally situated within walking distance to the campus and smack in the middle of the cute, little town. My friend and I stayed two nights while visiting a Berkeley student and never used our car. Parking is $16/day, but you may be lucky enough to find nearby parking on the street.

Check-in was great. The night manager, Eric, was super friendly and helpful. Our room was a smallish corner room with two beds, but still roomy enough. It had nice decor and was clean. The bathroom was teeny, tiny but because I had read this on previous reviews, I brought a hanging cosmetic bag so my things were accessible.

Yes, this is an old hotel- the floors creaked, the carpet was raised in areas, and the walls were paper-thin, but it had so much charm. The lobby was welcoming and hip, and Henry's is a great place to have drinks and food. I would definitely stay here again when returning to Berkeley!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank nan831
Sacramento
Reviewed April 10, 2013

If you are visiting the UC Berkeley campus, this is an ideal place to stay. I knew that I'd like this place as soon as I walked into the lobby. A busy and hip bar sits on one end of the college-themed lobby. When you check in, a bowl full of colorful hard candy always is present on the counter. The rooms are small, but cozy and well appointed. They have quirky touches such as a lamp shaped like a water pipe and a "Do Not Disturb" sign that's shaped like a sock :). We stay here when we see shows at UC Berkeley's Greek Theater (my favorite outdoor music venue I the Bay Area). All points on campus are within a short walk. The hotel has free parking and great restaurants are near.

• Stayed September 2012
Allen, Texas
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Nice room, comfy bed, great shower and a tub, microscopic sink and no place for any toiletries. Amusing shower curtain. You just have to see for yourself.
I was visiting during the Spring break, so the streets were quiet, and I could sleep with opened windows. If my stay was during the school semester, it would not be possible to get a good night sleep, even if you are a sound sleeper. My room was facing the street, but I am not sure if the back would be any quieter or if there are dorms or frat houses on the back. I think I stayed at 411.

The hotel is in a perfect location relative to school and nice places to eat. Hotel does not have a restaurant, but the bar seems to be very popular.

Overall, the place and management felt warm and homey.

Room Tip: I think I stayed at 411.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business