Graduate Berkeley
Rose Garden Inn(Berkeley)
Nash Hotel(Berkeley)
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewshotel durantquirky hoteltelegraph avenuecorner roomfront desk staffrooms are smallvalet parkingself parkfootball gametwo blocksstreet parkingmodern amenitiesyogurtsan franciscobongcampuslobby
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We were visiting friends in Berkeley and this was the best of the bunch. I didn't expect too much. But we were pleasantly surprised by the comfortable accommodations. The room was smallish, but the interesting decor made up for that: A shower curtain with vocabulary words to study while you get clean, a poster of the Graduate, lamps that look like beakers in a chem lab. trhe lobby is a library of sorts. The only downside was the extremely overpriced breakfast.
Eat somewhere else. Stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. We could hear the garbage collectors in the morning.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights on a business trip. The room rates were pretty good and I really enjoyed being in the heart of the Berkeley campus scene. The room had some updates, the bathroom was nice and clean with new sinks and vanities. The bed was comfortable and the sheets were nice. They have good new TV's and a work desk. The fridge has a key, but they don't mind if you take stuff out of the fridge and fill it with your own snacks, which was great. The rooms are very small but managable.
There were a few issues I had with this hotel.
1st - There is not air control. there was a ceiling fan. You are in the East Bay so it doesn't get too hot, however if you open a window expect to get no sleep. You are staying on the edge of the University, it is loud. That was not my biggest issue however.
2nd - The walls are thin. I could hear everyone around me. I could hear the guy sleeping in the room next to me and the couple upstairs having fun. Thin walls.
3rd - The biggest issue I had with this place was the power continually went out in my room. Multiple times a night. The breaker would blow and everything would turn off. It makes it very hard to get caught up on work with the power conintually going out. I was not over loading my power connections, I had the TV on, my phone plugged in and my laptop on. I had the small lamp by my bed turned on, that is it. The power kicked in the middle of the night while I was sleeping and caused my phone to die, thus me being late to a meeting.
They have some potential here but desperately need to update their electrical boxes.

Room Tip: If you get a room that faces Durant Ave, it can be very loud if you are visiting durning the warmer season and need to have the windows open.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank BaronMIke
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was on a business trip and needed to be close to Campus -- the Durant is perfect for this. The rooms are very nice, the hotel has been renovated and is very pleasant. The noise levels were much lower than the Shattuck, so this is the hotel I will prefer in my future visits to Berkeley (a good nights sleep is important for me). The only regret I have is the lack of a gym, but there is an option to get into the Campus gym which I did not try.

The staff were very helpful and nice and the bar was very pleasant as well.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank RivieraGuy
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Although there was a lot of noise form various carousers outside this only has to be expected if you want to stay in the heart of a college town. Loved Henry's bar, proper beer, a knowledgeable bar tender and great snacks. Room was functional, clean and well appointed if a little small. Breakfast (not included) was very good. Will retunr

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lafineart
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Totally revamped 100+ year old hotel. Modern and clean with a helpful staff. If you are not a college student, this hotel will remind you of the good old days. References to the Berkeley past is prevalent throughout the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012