“Boutique hotel in the heart of Berkeley. Needs a little updateing”
Review of Graduate Berkeley

Graduate Berkeley
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights on a business trip. The room rates were pretty good and I really enjoyed being in the heart of the Berkeley campus scene. The room had some updates, the bathroom was nice and clean with new sinks and vanities. The bed was comfortable and the sheets were nice. They have good new TV's and a work desk. The fridge has a key, but they don't mind if you take stuff out of the fridge and fill it with your own snacks, which was great. The rooms are very small but managable.
There were a few issues I had with this hotel.
1st - There is not air control. there was a ceiling fan. You are in the East Bay so it doesn't get too hot, however if you open a window expect to get no sleep. You are staying on the edge of the University, it is loud. That was not my biggest issue however.
2nd - The walls are thin. I could hear everyone around me. I could hear the guy sleeping in the room next to me and the couple upstairs having fun. Thin walls.
3rd - The biggest issue I had with this place was the power continually went out in my room. Multiple times a night. The breaker would blow and everything would turn off. It makes it very hard to get caught up on work with the power conintually going out. I was not over loading my power connections, I had the TV on, my phone plugged in and my laptop on. I had the small lamp by my bed turned on, that is it. The power kicked in the middle of the night while I was sleeping and caused my phone to die, thus me being late to a meeting.
They have some potential here but desperately need to update their electrical boxes.

Room Tip: If you get a room that faces Durant Ave, it can be very loud if you are visiting durning the warmer...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank BaronMIke

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was on a business trip and needed to be close to Campus -- the Durant is perfect for this. The rooms are very nice, the hotel has been renovated and is very pleasant. The noise levels were much lower than the Shattuck, so this is the hotel I will prefer in my future visits to Berkeley (a good nights sleep is important for me). The only regret I have is the lack of a gym, but there is an option to get into the Campus gym which I did not try.

The staff were very helpful and nice and the bar was very pleasant as well.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank RivieraGuy
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Although there was a lot of noise form various carousers outside this only has to be expected if you want to stay in the heart of a college town. Loved Henry's bar, proper beer, a knowledgeable bar tender and great snacks. Room was functional, clean and well appointed if a little small. Breakfast (not included) was very good. Will retunr

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lafineart
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Totally revamped 100+ year old hotel. Modern and clean with a helpful staff. If you are not a college student, this hotel will remind you of the good old days. References to the Berkeley past is prevalent throughout the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank simmonsgottlieb
Reviewed August 28, 2012

great location, friendly service and really cute hip atmosphere. i don't have any problem with wifi here. Really really like the deco. Haven't tried the food here but look yummy.I will definitely coming back!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cranehere
Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

First things first - Hotel Durant has excellent staff who really understand service. It is also extremely conveniently located if you have to do anything with the University. Finally, it has a great theme (University Dorm), and is charmingly decorated.

Now the downsides: I was assured by the staff that this is an issue in late summer, and not other times of the year, but the rooms get hot. Because there is no aircon you open the window, so then you get the street noise. And because you are I'm the middle of the students, that can mean guys shouting on the street after a night of drinking at 3am (this may not be an issue at other times of the year).

So, that's my first night, so I ask for a change of room (they change me rom 405 to 120). This time no street noise and no late afternoon sun - great. The room is smaller and ponied, but hey, I'm only sleeping here. Then it's 6am and the phone goes. I think, "Hang on, that's not my ring tone!". Turns out it's the guy in the room next door, but he may as well be sitting at the desk in my room, because I hear the entire conversation, word for word. Then a French-speaking guy on the other side, and finally room service down the hallway.

I also found the beds (in both rooms) a little hard compared to the major chains, but that may be personal.

Now, these are things more related to the construction of the building than the look and feel, and attitude of the staff (which are all top-notch), but if you need your sleep, or value your privacy, I suggest you stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank TroncoNZ
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The location of the hotel if you want a place close to UC Berkeley. However I wouldn't recommend it for prospective students because of the lack of wifi. I was there for three days and there was no wifi all three days which made planning orientation/signing up online for retreats and checking teleBEARS enrolment nearly impossible which sadly was what I had planned to during my stay.

They did let me check in early which was lovely and also allowed us to keep our bags at the hotel after check out until our move in time which was very helpful. But otherwise the staff weren't very helpful at all. I left an item in the room which I returned quickly to pick up from lost property but I was given alot of excuses and told they'd be in contact with me with they'd sourced it from lost property. No one did for the following week so obviously nothing had been done about it. When I went in the week later I was told to wait while they tried to get a hold of the lost property supervisor just so he could tell me in person the item apparently had never existed on their records. They'd obviously thrown it out but didn't want to take responsibility for it. Very frustrating when all it would've taken was a staff member to check the room the following day after my initial inquiry during cleaning hours.

The hotel itself is nice but not without faults. The elevator takes a minimum of two minutes to come so I used the staff stairs the whole stay. The shower struggled to maintain a consistent hot water temperature and the light fitting made clicking noises while it was on that were a bit irritating (did really bother me). The bed was very comfy and the rooms were quite pleasant.

Overall it was an alright stay but if you are a student I'd recommend finding somewhere else and if you were on business I'd guess you could find better value for money elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends