“Hotel was very well appointed”
Review of Graduate Berkeley

Graduate Berkeley
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Overall I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Durant. I didn't care for having to wait at the front desk for ice. It seemed inconvenient waiting for others to check in to get ice. The attached restaurant seemed expensive for the type of food served so I went down the street & ate at the college spots for less money and better food. Overall good place to stay, nice location and terrific room.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank GuinnessLover22
LWilson2600, Manager at Graduate Berkeley, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2011

We do apologies for the wait for your ice. Please feel free to call us from your room on your next visit and we will have ice sent straight up with no wait.

Reviewed August 29, 2011

We stayed at the Durant both before and after a trip down to Santa Cruz for the weekend. The Durant is well-maintained, the staff is helpful and friendly, Lots of nice touches like 60's student id's for room keys, lab tables for room desks, fantastic photos in the halls. Only one quibble - I know everyone in Berkeley says the weather is so good you don't need air conditioning. But my wife and I disagreed on this trip - AC would have been a plus and taken our rating up to 5.

Room Tip: The front rooms facing Durant have the Campanile view
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank The-Penguini
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We stayed at the durant a couple of nights this summer on a visit to Cal and it was a really good choice. We wanted a few nights in Berkeley rather than SF and this was just what we had in mind. Allowed lots of walking along Telegraph and in the campus area. Hotel was fun place - parking is a huge pain but where is that not the case? We woudl go again and stay at the Durant!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank okatty
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Our group of three friends recently stayed at the Hotel Durant while we were in town to see Adele perform at the U.C. Berkeley Greek Theater. It was the closest hotel to the venue and it looked nice online. We arrived almost an hour before check in time and were pleasantly surprised to hear from the super nice and friendly lady behind the desk, that our room was ready and would we prefer an upper or lower level room. That type of service set the tone for the rest of our one night stay. Everyone was very nice and helpful from check in to check out.
The hotel is an older building that has been updated with modern amenities, but manages to keep it's charm. Our double bed room was spacious and well equipped.
The floors did creak in certain spots and there is no A/C, but the fans in the room made it more then comfortable. The bed was comfortable as well. I like having a coffee maker in the room, just wish they would put more coffee out for us coffee drinkers. Not a big deal though.
The location was superb for our trip. Less then a mile walk to the Greek, along tree lined streets with beautiful homes. Parking can be stressful if you chose to park on the street. We chose to do self parking for $16. They also have valet.
We even tried the restaurant Henry's located in the lobby for drinks and appetizers before the show and night cap afterwards. The service was good with pretty good food too. Pretty typical prices, not for people on a very tight budget. There is a taqueria down the street and a Hot dog place that stay open to almost midnight. And that was on a sunday night.
I will now be looking for more performances to attend at the Greek Theater, because I know there is a great place to stay near-by. The Hotel Durant!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank KPARKS559
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We are advocates of Joie de Vivre properties, therefore this was our first choice when we stayed in Berkeley for Adele's concert this past weekend. It's a small, quaint and "green" hotel located perfectly for anything associated with Berkeley. A short walk to campus or Telegraph. Even Shadduck is only a short walk.
The rooms are all named after graduates from Berkeley. It's a fun trip through history. Uniquely decorated was my first thought, but I liked it! As a club member I was immediately upgraded when I first arrived and as at any other Joie de Vivre the staff was pleasant and welcoming.The lobby is quaint and feels a bit out of acedamia in the sixties. It works.
The rooms are a bit small but very functionable. Comfortable bedding, good sized flat screen, desk and free internet. My complimentary bottle of wine arrived and that did create a problem. It arrived while I was out and without an ice bucket. White wine warm is not too inviting when you get back in.
The hotel prides itself on its green rating so it not only recycles it does not have a/c. Also partly due the historic building. The lobby, halls and Henry's restaurant all seemed cool on this mildd August evening. Unfortunately, even with the window open, and two fans going our room was very stuffy and warm and would not cool off. Perhaps I should have shut the curtains prior to aiming to the concert thus keeping the sun out?
I did hear a lot of people complaining about the room size, but personally it seemed to possess everything I needed and had a bit of charm. It is in the perfect location and I would stay there again.
Henry's restaurant is a nice little place with friendly atmosphere. I do wish it stayed open a little later as I would have loved one of their desserts after the concert!

Room Tip: Perhaps ask which rooms might be cooler and always take the upgrades!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ccinchico
Reviewed August 14, 2011

After checking out of room 115, which was a king bed with the smallest bathroom i had ever been in, we moved to room 304 and what a world of difference! This room was over the parking lot and was much quieter than room 115. The problem with 115 was that it was next to the supply closet/room and near the top of the steps so it was extremely noisy in the morning. Room 304 was spacious and the bathroom actually had a small counter so we could actually store our toothbrushes in the bathroom. I still found an issue with wine glasses not being stocked consistently in the rooms. The other problem with room 115 is that the housekeepers were always knocking on our door in the morning to clean the room. I also thought it odd that we had 4 standard size pillows on the queen bed but when we had the king bed we had 3 king pillows instead of 4. There werent any extra pillows in the closet either.
I think the highlights of this property are the location and front desk staff.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank CaliforniaNancy
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I was charmed by the hotel, in spite of the small room and the location just above Telegraph and across from frats. And then things started to go wrong. I was here for a conference for six nights. The second night, I set out my breakfast order -- well before 2 a.m. It was never collected. By the third day, the bathroom was no longer being carefully reset. The towel which I was happy to reuse was still stuffed in the rod. The coffee was not restocked. One night there was a horrible fight right outside and no one from the hotel knew about it -- or cared. On the fifth day, the breakfast order had not been collected -- again -- in spite of my letting them know it had been an issue before. Also the coffee cup from the morning was just left on the nightstand, and the coffee was still in the coffee maker. When a place is your home for a week, it should be comfortable and comforting, not a reminder that you are subject to the whims of negligent or absent-minded staff.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business