“our home away from home.”
Review of Rose Garden Inn

Rose Garden Inn
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersSilver level
Scottsboro, Alabama
“our home away from home.”
Reviewed June 15, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for our visit to see out daughter and her husband, What a great place to stay. The staff was incredible and the breakfast was a delight. No "deluxe hot breakfast" from the chains can compare. I have recommended this hotel to my friends and several have taken my word for it as great.

Will definately stay there again on our next trip.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed June 15, 2010

From the moment I stepped in to the quaint, lovely lobby of the Rose Garden Inn (originally a turn-of-the-century, Victorian mansion) and was greeted with a warm hello, I felt relaxed and welcome. The gentleman at the front desk was extremely friendly and helpful, checking me in quickly and carrying my bags all the way to my room, which was in an adjacent building. My little porch and window overlooked the most delightful courtyard and brightly blooming gardens. The room itself was cozy and charming, and I even had my own little fireplace!
I cannot say enough good things about this wonderful Bed and Breakfast. From it's great location near UC Berkeley, to it's great staff, (who seem genuinely happy to be there!) to the all you can eat, full complimentary breakfast, (!) I am pleased to say that my stay was one of the best I've ever had, and I will definitely return the next time I'm in town!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 15, 2010

I have stayed at the rose garden off and on for 8 years for pleasure and business. Staff is always friendly and accommodating. This place is uniquely Berkeley.Rooms are clean. Each room is different,some more spacious than others depending on what you request. some have great views of the bay and san francisco. choice of 4 different houses with a nice garden between buildings where one could sit and read, work or drink wine. walking distance to the university along telegraph street, where one can relieve the 60's. nice breakfast in the morning comes with the room. Its a very comfortable place. If you like to only stay at a Hilton or Raddison this is not for you. Most of the people I have meet here are experienced travelors who want to have a place that is different and homey and gives you the chance to interact with other guests. Dont expect it to be perfect. If it were it would lose some of its charm and wouldnt be Berkeley.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Oakland
Reviewed June 15, 2010

I came home one evening to find our condo was flooded with an inch of water! We were able to quickly find a room at the Rose Garden Inn in nearby Berkeley. Because of the very last minute reservation and uncertainty of the length of our stay, we did need to change rooms a few times. The staff was so friendly, they even moved our luggage for us, it also gave us a chance to experience the different rooms. Each one seems to have it's own charm and individuality.
We had to stay for several weeks and by the end, the staff at the Rose Garden Inn were our family. It's great to have breakfast waiting for you every morning!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Moorestown, New Jersey
Reviewed January 14, 2010

Stayed 5 nights in Jan 2010
Very enjoyable place and very helpful and responsive staff

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
InnkeeperBerkeleyCA, Manager at Rose Garden Inn, responded to this review, June 3, 2010
I'm glad that we exceeded your expectations. I look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to our area.
Kevin Allen
Innkeeper
California
Reviewed December 2, 2009

We loved the grounds, the rooms, all very quaint and charming, also clean and comfortable.
Having a fireplace was extra special. The buffet breakfast was plentiful and delicious. Fresh baked cookies were a treat in the afternoon. The staff members were exceptionally friendly and helpful. We are planning a return trip in the spring.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Poitiers
Reviewed November 6, 2009

Our room had a fireplace and since it was Christmas, it was nice to have a place to hang stockings. Everything else was quite disappointing from the lackadaisical cleaning to the splotchy pepto bismal pink paint job and the musty smell. Worst of all, I accidentally left a couple of my favorite tops in a dresser drawer and when I called to ask them to hold them for me about 1 hour later, no longer, I was told in a very rude fashion that the maid who cleaned the room said there was nothing left behind and that I was insinuating that the staff were dishonest and I was a racist!

Did I mention that it is waaaay overpriced?

• Stayed December 2007
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us here at the Rose Garden Inn. I'd like to address a some of your comments. With regard to the pink - not my favorite color either. However - we strive to use color palates appropriate to our vintage buildings - and to my dismay - pink is a very Victorian color. However - we did repaint the rooms in a more suttle pink in 2010.
Regarding your missing items - I my apologies for any inconsideration from my staff. There have been staffing changes since this time - and I am sure you would have nothing but enjoyable interations with the present staff. We are constantly getting compliments on the responsiveness and friendliness of our Front Desk Staff.
Fond Regards,
Kevin Allen, Innkeeper

Travelers are raving about these Berkeley hotels