“Second stay even better!”
Review of Rose Garden Inn

Rose Garden Inn
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 22, 2011

This was my second stay at the Rose Garden in two years. I cannot say enough about the charm, the huge breakfast layout, and the wonderfully helpful staff, most of all the manager who, although I never actually saw him do it, must be able to walk on water. He coordinated educational rates for a class I was in, and was most attentive to the requests of our group. But all of the staff goes out of their way to answer questions and supply assistance. And they know everything about the area: locations, closing times, recommendations for what kinds of food, etc. Not to slight the accommodations, totally unique and lovely. A thoroughly satisfying and delightful return.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 21, 2011

Fabulous B&B. Within walking distance, 5 minutes, of the Telegraph Hill shops and restaurants. Very cozy, nice seating area/lobby with fireplace, beautiful garden, great breakfast. Staff very helpful and friendly. Our appreciation to manager Alan Delgado for his kindness and efficiency. When in Berkeley we'll either stay with friends or at the Rose Garden Inn.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Dear Kevin, Alan, Jamie and James,
On behalf of our entire Tel Aviv - Berkeley group, I would like to thank you for being so considerate and helpful during our stay at the Rose Garden Inn this past month. From the beautiful gardens of the hotel, the cozy and homey rooms, the best breakfast in town (!) and the friendliest personnel, we really enjoyed our stay at the Rose Garden Inn in particular :), and at Berkeley in general.
I hope to come back to the lovely Bay Area again and stop by your inn.
Thanks again for everything!

Respectfully,

Ester Dediashvili
Tel Aviv - UC Berkeley Executive Program in Commercial Law

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 11, 2011

I stayed in this B&B after reading mixed reviews, with much hesitancy. My experience was a good one. The establishment is old and quaint but well taken care of. The staff is pleasant and most helpful. The best part of staying here is definitely the breakfast!!!! The down side of staying here was that my room was directly over the kitchen. The kitchen staff comes in every morning @ 6:30am and they are quite loud. Overall, I would recommend the Rose Garden Inn.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank mellymomma
Reviewed April 24, 2011

We wanted to find a nice place to stay while visiting family in Berkeley. I found the Rose Garden Inn on the internet. The site explains the history of the property (an old Victorian Estate) which interested me. The location is good. It offers 2 parking lots (free parking) The walkways to the main desk are manicured flowering landscape...including rose bushes. The staff at the check in are friendly and helpful. One of the main buildings is an original victorian estate. Our room was in the building next door. It included victorian decor, a fireplace, tv, mini refrigerator & more. In the morning guests are offered complimentary coffee, tea, pastries, eggs, bacon, cereal, toast & fruit in their dining room. We were pleasantly surprised with the accommmodations, the location AND the room rate was reasonable for all that you get. Did I mention complimentary cookies and a beverage in the late afternoon?

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2011

I don't know where to begin. The smell is horrendous and the rooms are filthy. It was hard to convince myself to go to sleep. - The sheets felt grimy and the smell kept me up all night. Unfortunately, it was too last minute to change hotels, so I was stuck. The least I can give them is that they had a decent breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Corbs79
InnkeeperBerkeleyCA, Manager at Rose Garden Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2011

I am sorry we dissapointed this guest. I also don't know what smell they are alluding too.

I wish they had contacted the Front Desk regarding their concerns. We are always willing to try to find a room that better suits and individuals needs. With 5 buildings and 13 different styles of rooms I am sure we could have found a room to satisfy them.

I do want to assure potential guests, however, that our rooms meet a high standard of cleanliness - and if for any reason you are dissappointed with your room - please give us the opportunity to make you happy.

Kevin Allen
Innkeeper

Reviewed January 16, 2011

I enjoyed my one-night stay very much. My room was very small and the entire hotel feels old and generally not upscale, though well maintained. These things didn't bother me but travelers should be aware.

The neighborhood is not bad for Berkeley and a locked gate surrounds the grounds, so it feels very safe. There's a very nice patio garden area on the grounds. Staff was very pleasant and accommodating. It feels a bit like a large bed and breakfast, like a converted home. I had the smallest room available, which was fine for me. My bed was comfortable and my room was quiet. The bathroom was more modern than the rest of the room, with a marble tiled bathtub-shower. Tube TV with average station selection.

Cookies were available at evening check-in. A fire was lit in the lobby at breakfast--very cozy. Complimentary buffet breakfast included scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, cereals, pastries, coffee & juice. Free internet and free parking are included, though the parking lot is small--I arrived late and had to park on the street, which was not problematic for me. I booked directly with the inn and saved $13 over the hotel.com & orbitz price.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo