“Charming Victorian Style Historical Property”
Review of Rose Garden Inn

Rose Garden Inn
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersSilver level
Malibu, California
“Charming Victorian Style Historical Property”
Reviewed April 24, 2011

We wanted to find a nice place to stay while visiting family in Berkeley. I found the Rose Garden Inn on the internet. The site explains the history of the property (an old Victorian Estate) which interested me. The location is good. It offers 2 parking lots (free parking) The walkways to the main desk are manicured flowering landscape...including rose bushes. The staff at the check in are friendly and helpful. One of the main buildings is an original victorian estate. Our room was in the building next door. It included victorian decor, a fireplace, tv, mini refrigerator & more. In the morning guests are offered complimentary coffee, tea, pastries, eggs, bacon, cereal, toast & fruit in their dining room. We were pleasantly surprised with the accommmodations, the location AND the room rate was reasonable for all that you get. Did I mention complimentary cookies and a beverage in the late afternoon?

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Austin, TX
Reviewed January 29, 2011

I don't know where to begin. The smell is horrendous and the rooms are filthy. It was hard to convince myself to go to sleep. - The sheets felt grimy and the smell kept me up all night. Unfortunately, it was too last minute to change hotels, so I was stuck. The least I can give them is that they had a decent breakfast.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Corbs79
InnkeeperBerkeleyCA, Manager at Rose Garden Inn, responded to this review, February 17, 2011
I am sorry we dissapointed this guest. I also don't know what smell they are alluding too.

I wish they had contacted the Front Desk regarding their concerns. We are always willing to try to find a room that better suits and individuals needs. With 5 buildings and 13 different styles of rooms I am sure we could have found a room to satisfy them.

I do want to assure potential guests, however, that our rooms meet a high standard of cleanliness - and if for any reason you are dissappointed with your room - please give us the opportunity to make you happy.

Kevin Allen
Innkeeper

Travelers are raving about these Berkeley hotels

Los Angeles
Reviewed January 16, 2011

I enjoyed my one-night stay very much. My room was very small and the entire hotel feels old and generally not upscale, though well maintained. These things didn't bother me but travelers should be aware.

The neighborhood is not bad for Berkeley and a locked gate surrounds the grounds, so it feels very safe. There's a very nice patio garden area on the grounds. Staff was very pleasant and accommodating. It feels a bit like a large bed and breakfast, like a converted home. I had the smallest room available, which was fine for me. My bed was comfortable and my room was quiet. The bathroom was more modern than the rest of the room, with a marble tiled bathtub-shower. Tube TV with average station selection.

Cookies were available at evening check-in. A fire was lit in the lobby at breakfast--very cozy. Complimentary buffet breakfast included scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, cereals, pastries, coffee & juice. Free internet and free parking are included, though the parking lot is small--I arrived late and had to park on the street, which was not problematic for me. I booked directly with the inn and saved $13 over the hotel.com & orbitz price.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Berkeley, California
Reviewed January 13, 2011

When my parents-in-law and my parents come to Berkeley to visit my husband and I they have always stayed at the Rose Garden Inn. In fact, my husband and I got married there and all our guests stayed here. We have never been happy with the mediocre and rude service they have given us but we found the location very covenient because it is very closed to our house.

I would say that the Rose Garden Inn has the worst service I have ever had in a hotel. The service is extremely inefficient and the people that work there is very, very rude. First of all Kevin Allen the Innkeeper is a very emotional and rude person. I went personally to the Rose Garden Inn some weeks ago to ask for the rates because my parents were planning to stay for 34 nights! Today I called him and he changed the rates. He told me that he was following the rules. So, if he was following rules I wanted to talk with his boss to ask for a solution and an explanation of why he was changing the rates. I called again and a very rude man answered the phone at the hotel and told me that Kevin was the manager and with only him I could speak about the rates. Twenty minutes later I received a called from this man Kevin Allen yelling at me like crazy and telling me that how could I dare to ask for someone above him, that he was the manager and that nobody was above him. He yelled at me till he got tired. His attitude was very immature and unprofessional. Before he hung up at me he told me ¨If you would have not called to ask for my manager I would have respected the rates¨
I am really shocked for this childish, emotional and unprofessional attitude of a ¨manager¨ of a hotel. And by the way, when I went to ask for the rates this man Kevin Allen offered us a house he owns and that he is renting in Berkeley. As my parents were going to stay for such a long time he offered us his house for rent. So my question is. Was he so mad because I told him that my parents didn´t want to rent his house?
Fortunately there are many other options in Berkeley and of course my parents won´t stay at the Rose Garden Inn.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank AOZ73
Goodness - where to start?

This guest did indeed have guests stay here during her wedding. Upon conclusion of their wedding weekend they seemed happy with the service and accomodations. I had also seen the couple around town on several occasions since - and nothing was mentioned. So I was quite surprised to see the comment that they "were never happy with the mediocre and rude service". I believe if you read some of our other reviews you will find the majority - while they may have specific issues with something about the hotel - praise the service provided. If we were really that bad - why would she have been trying to book her parents here anyway?

Our interaction did indeed go wrong when she was trying to book the room for her parents. In a conversation months earlier I had told them that sometimes we have a certain rate avaialble for guests staying for 30 nights. When she wanted to book her parents stay, I became aware that their stay was spit up into segments so would not qualify for that rate. I explained that and I quoted a rate just slightly higher than they expected - but still substantially lower than the regular nightly rates.

She refused the rate I offered, and instead of booking or looking elsewhere, kept telling me over and over how unprofessional I was etc. Yes, I did become upset and I should not have. I have over 30 years experience in hotels - and honestly can think of only a couple of other times I've lost my cool. I did not yell at her or raise my voice. I did however end the conversation after we went in the came circle over and over.

The comment regarding my rental house is just irrational. When we had spoken several months ealier we had discussed my rental house. They knew I had been looking for a house becasue we had bumped into eachother at several open houses. I told them it might be a good option for her parents because they were staying so long. However - when they were booking the parents stay - the rental house was not available for their stay anyway and we never discussed it.

The husband's parents stayed with us for 20 nights and paid a rate substantially higher than I had quoted for the wife's parents. They enjoyed their stay and intend to return. Also the wife's parents stopped a couple of times to join the hustband's parents for breakfast. On their way out of town her father stopped and informed us that the next visit they would be staying with us every visit from now on.

One issue with "open" reviews is that anyone can post a negative review when they are upset. Please keep in mind, though, that every story does indeed have two sides, and also when people are upset they tend to twist the story to suit their needs. This review is a prime example of that. It is always upsetting to dissappoint a guest - and for that I am truly sorry.

Kevin Allen
Innkeeper
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Inn is located in cluster of Victorian era houses in South Berkeley. To all outward appearances, my perfect hotel: interesting rooms with fireplaces and comfy beds, fast wifi internet, free on-site parking, hot breakfast, soap and shampoo in the bathroom, cookies and coffee in the afternoon. What more to ask for? Well, apparently, all the usable rooms seem to be on the first floor in the back buildings where it was cold and dark. When we asked for a room in the main house, we were given an attractive and light room, but it smelled distinctly of damp, and was that cat pee? The place seemed a little dusty and seedy. A hostile note ("Don't even think of touching this") was taped to the non-functional router in our room. Breakfast had all the right choices, but one had to compete for table space with the housekeepers, which felt a little strange. And their job did not include busing the tables, making fresh eggs, or even, apparently, turning on the toaster machine. What could have been a lovely intimate experience instead had a bit of an institutional feel -- one where you were an inmate. Hotel is under close price competition with the professional, but still institutional, Shattuck Hotel to the north. We canceled part of our stay at the Rose Garden to return there even though we had to pay for parking and breakfast. With a little more considered maintenance and management, the Rose Garden Inn could better protect its customer base.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barkelby
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed December 30, 2010

The best things about the Rose Garden Inn are its homey feeling, its welcoming and helpful staff--Kevin, Allen, Cornelius, and others, its sitting room with fireplace, its comfortable bedrooms (with private bath and some with balcony), gardens (including murals), its location, its afternoon fresh cookies, its reasonable prices and the fact that breakfast is included. In the past year I have stayed there several times, on my own as well as with my spouse. And every time I have felt safe and at home. As some reviewers have suggested, the Inn is not the Ritz. But it's the Inn's age and imperfections--and again, its staff--that make it charming.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
salt lake city, UT
Reviewed November 9, 2010

We stayed at the Rose Garden Inn while on our very first trip to Berkeley. The front desk staff were awesome, going above and beyond, our highest expectations. They gave a great recommendation for a delicious restaurant, even going so far as to print us out directions. Everyone was incredibly helpful and friendly, the grounds were beautiful,the room was large and comfortable with an outside seating area where we sat and shared a bottle of wine. Breakfast the next morning was very good, with a large selection of items including fresh pineapple, and delicious breakfast potatoes, as well as all the old stand by's. We had a great time and were very impressed by the value of this hotel, we would unwaveringly recommend this inn.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple