“Good food, great atmosphere”
Review of Smart Alec's Intelligent Food - CLOSED

Smart Alec's Intelligent Food
Cuisines: American, Fast Food
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is a popular place just off the campus of Cal, Berkeley. It was crowded for lunch and had been recommended to us by more than one person. Varied menu with fresh ingredients, large portions. I had the chinese chicken salad, it was fresh and big enough to split with another person. The place has a family owned, college town feel, the kind of place you want to see do well in a college town and clearly there are many repeat customers.

Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Went with 8 others and they loved their choices. Garden delight salad was huge and very tasty. Chicken Caesar salad was also really good. Husband liked his turkey sandwich. They have a vegetarian burger. I had the basic beef burger, but I wouldn't pick it again. Wasn't terrible, but was kind of dry and had a funny taste to it. Probably because it was some kind of special grass-fed beef, I think. If you like that sort of thing, then this would probably be fine for you. The "fries" are baked so they're healthier. But if I'm out and eating fries, I want the real thing. Healthy I can do at home. Salad comes with a big chunk of cornbread, but no butter.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Last time I was there I ordered my usual soup ad sandwich combo, which is not only healthy but tasty. I dropped my tray and everything fell on the floor. I was feeling really bad, and suddenly I got the same combo for free courtesy of the restaurant. Ever since I go back at least one a week.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Ate hear looking for good vegan options in Berkeley for lunch. The food was okay, nothing special, but there was a decent variety of vegan choices. The garlic fries (air "fried") were very garlicy, but a little limp.

The staff was very helpful, cost was reasonable.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Not fancy, and way better than fast food. This is healthy fast food, if you wish - soups, salads, corn bread, sandwiches. They are now offering a special sandwich and soup of the week. This is our go to place near the Cal campus, when we need a quick bite before or after a sports event. Helpings are generous, service (place your order & pick up when called) is speedy. Since its essentially self serve bussing, only minus, is occasional messiness around the tables since there's a lots of turn over of the tables. Soups also tend to be thick to the point of being mush, not soup.