“Good vegan food!”

Herbivore
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Takeout
Reviewed July 19, 2014

I love the variety of vegan food here. They have great soup, and the pancakes are awesome. A standout is the blueberry cornbread!

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Heading home through the Bay Area after a weekend road trip we decided to have Mother’s Day lunch at Herbivore in Berkeley. As a vegan mom, I was really excited, and my twin vegetarian boys cheerily agreed to try it along with a few other moms-friends and family. I phoned a few weeks ahead of time to make a reservation and was told that they normally take reservations for a party of 6 or more but they no longer will on Mother’s Day because of no-shows. That was frustrating news but when Sunday arrived one of our party traveled to Berkeley ahead of time to reserve a table for everyone and that helped, although her first impression of Herbivore wasn’t so great. When she arrived she was greeted by an unfriendly wait person and when she asked for a table for 7, he offered to give us 2 tables near each other and we could divide ourselves up. (what??) When she said that wouldn’t work for us (who would even consider doing that, especially for a special occasion?) he rudely told her she must wait and went off to see about pushing two tables together (now was that really so hard?). When the rest of our party finally arrived at the restaurant, our table was ready, and we were happy but our waiter was still unhappy and laid down our menus in a huff, never smiled, was impatient with our questions, and disappeared for a long time. Hmm. I was very excited to look at the menu, since, as a vegan I knew I wouldn’t have to ask the waiter (whom I was now scared of!) a slew of questions about what animal products might be hidden in what foods, I was free to order anything on the menu that sounded good! A field day for a vegan! I was the only vegan in our party, along with my 2 kids who are vegetarian and 4 other meat eaters. We started with drinks first and I ordered a homemade ginger ale that sounded yummy but turned out to be watery and tasteless. My kids ordered smoothies as they always do whenever possible and they were both disappointed with their choices and didn’t finish them. We had high hopes for our meal though and I ordered the Lentil Loaf, which came with mashed potatoes and greens and sounded like real comfort food. When the plate arrived I saw the Lentil Loaf was more like a lentil mound or patty and didn’t really stick together. It was disappointingly bland but tasted better if I ate it with some mashed potatoes, which were tasty. The greens were very bland, just steamed without flavor and were in desperate need of some olive oil and garlic to save it from being a boring side. It did come with a Beet Sauce, which I was looking forward to trying, but didn’t like it in the end either as the sweet taste did not work well with the savory meal in my opinion. One of my sons ordered pasta and said it was fine but wouldn’t order it again. My other son, who is vegetarian, ordered cheese pizza, but did not like the fake cheese and didn’t eat it. I am used to fake cheeses but if you are not, it may not be the right thing to order. The meat eaters in our group ordered pasta dishes and ate most of their meals but didn’t comment much. After our meal we all decided to try some dessert and I wanted to try the cheesecake but my son really wanted to share a piece of pie a la mode so we shared a slice of blueberry pie which was good. I had a bite of the carrot cake too and that seemed really good. On a more positive note a super helpful and enthusiastic busboy checked in with us several times during our meal, and was very kind and helpful making suggestions to the meat-eaters at our table as to what to order and explained some things on the menu. He came around and took care of us a lot more than our waiter/manager did, which I think was a blessing.

So why did I give this place 3 stars when it sounds like I had a 1 star experience? Well, because I really want to like Herbivore and I really can’t give any vegan restaurant a rating of less than 3 stars because I’m just so happy they exist. I’m hoping this time I just ordered the wrong thing, and the waiter/manager just had a bad day. I will be back to try more items, like the veggie burger, which is homemade, and the ramen soups which sound yummy. I don’t think I could find anyone in our group that will go back to Herbivore with me, but I will definitely give it another try. It has stiff competition from my other 2 favorite vegan restaurants, Millennium in San Francisco, and Real Food Daily in Los Angeles. So, this time, Herbivore wasn’t what I had hoped, but I will be back for a second try.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

We stopped in here after the lunch rush on a Tuesday. Service was surprisingly slow. We both ordered the Indonesian Noodle Salad. Flavors were nice, but we both commented that the dish was surprisingly unsatisfying. They really skimped on the tofu, greens, etc. The dish was mostly noodles! As we were traveling through, we didn't have the opportunity for a return visit to determine if this was just an "off" day/dish, or a pattern. Menu has a nice selection, so if the other dishes are as described, there are some great options.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We had a party of four for dinner. Several of us had diet restrictions and the staff was very patient, knowledgeable and accommodating. Aly was our waitress and she was great. I had a plate of grilled veggies that were fresh, flavorful and grilled perfectly. One of us had the ravioli that were cooked proper (not over-cooked) and had fresh flavors (and had the kick of some peppers). One of us had the house-made root beer which he thoroughly enjoyed. We weren't sure which salad dressings we wanted so Aly brought us several to sample and enjoy. It was a very nice dining experience. We had to rush out but next time I'll save room for the extensive desert menu.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

First, the wait staff is hilarious. And the food is amazing. You won't be disappointed, unless they're out of something!