“My search is over. Thanks Ari!”
Review of Herbivore - CLOSED

Herbivore
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Takeout
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My search is over. Thanks Ari!”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I'm just glad I didn't read some of these misleading reviews. After passing this place for years, we finally stopped in after our friend recommended it. The service (Ari!), the wonderful smells, the colors, the exquisite tastes, this food was beautiful. I needed something different, healthy, colorful, hearty, and fragrant with that beautiful char to it, and met with our version of food heaven at table 11. We ate each other's food! I'm truly sorry for the reviewers who had such a bad time here, leaving in anger and such as they've so painfully described. More room for me however, and for the scores of friends and clients that I'm now bringing who are collectively tired of eating crap, and love good food. Thank you Herbivore for a new, lovely eating experience for us. - David Sovereign, owner - Studio J by the Bay

1 Thank StudioJbytheBay

Berkeley, California, United States
“Unrecognizable as food”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I live in Berkeley, so am very accustomed to local tastes and trends. Never have I had a more bizarre, unsatisfying meal than here. When two of us tried to eat what was set before us at this place we went through several of the Kubler-Ross processes within just a few bites: denial, rage, the whole deal. This wasn't 'inventive'; this wasn't any new paradigm in mindful eating, yada yada ... there was a gibbon with a spatula loose in the kitchen, and no one knew how to stop it, is what. Kind of angry-making at the time, but hey, I've mellowed.

Berkeley, California
“Yummy gluten free/vegan restaurant”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

This place is awesome if you're vegan and gluten free. I recently was diagnosed with celiac disease and decided to start fresh with a whole new diet - vegan AND gluten free. Lots of places in the area advertise gluten free (and lots of places don't!) but I've experienced cross contamination at a few of these places but never at Herbivore! It's one of the few restaurants I can go to and know I'm not going to get a tummy ache after.

I even took my dad there, a meat loving man, and he didn't miss the meat at all! He couldn't believe everything was vegan but still tasted amazing (maybe someday he'll become gluten free if an Herbivore moves to his town).

Two of my favorite things there are the breakfast tofu pesto scramble and Yerba mate latte. Yum! They also have a pretty wide variety of other breakfasty food and plenty of lunch and dinner choices: salads, pastas, sandwiches, burritos, noodle dishes, curries, etc.

The prices aren't too bad - they give large portions so I always take some home to have later. It's having two meals for the price of one.

Herbivore also a bar with gluten-free alcohol like Rain Organics (vodka) and a variety of cocktails.

The only reason I'm not giving this place a 5 is because they don't have gluten free bread (at least on the menu-I haven't asked a waiter yet)! Otherwise it's an awesome place for vegan gluten free diners, take a taste for yourself!

• Visited December 2012
San Francisco
“My new favorite Berkeley brunch spot”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We had brunch at Herbivore today - and were impressed with the menu selections, the sparkling service, and the food! Best Portabella Mushroom on a Ciabatta roll Sandwich I've ever had (who raves about a sandwich?) The "side" green salad was delicious! Other happy diners had the Quesadilla (great guac.) the Breakfast Burrito, and the Pancakes with grilled bananas.While I am not vegan - I am already planning return visits because the food is so good.

• Visited November 2012
SACRAMENTO
“My Kind of ‘Tofu and Salsa’ Place”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

The Herbivore in Berkeley is one of our favorite vegan restaurants in the Bay Area. We try to stop by every time we visit San Francisco or the East Bay. The food has always been good, not overly priced, large portions and a great place to entertain friends for an introduction to a large vegan menu. A big plus for me is that many of the items are or can be gluten free. I look upon the restaurant as a good “tofu and salsa” kind of place; nothing too fancy but fresh and well presented.
The one drawback is the service can be slow. My partner loves to go there, especially when we have some time to spare and not in a rush: “Hey, we have an hour or so; why don’t be stop by Herbivore’s?”

• Visited November 2012