“My Kind of ‘Tofu and Salsa’ Place”
Review of Herbivore - CLOSED

Herbivore
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Takeout
SACRAMENTO
“My Kind of ‘Tofu and Salsa’ Place”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

The Herbivore in Berkeley is one of our favorite vegan restaurants in the Bay Area. We try to stop by every time we visit San Francisco or the East Bay. The food has always been good, not overly priced, large portions and a great place to entertain friends for an introduction to a large vegan menu. A big plus for me is that many of the items are or can be gluten free. I look upon the restaurant as a good “tofu and salsa” kind of place; nothing too fancy but fresh and well presented.
The one drawback is the service can be slow. My partner loves to go there, especially when we have some time to spare and not in a rush: “Hey, we have an hour or so; why don’t be stop by Herbivore’s?”

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank ValleyPrimrose

Cathedral City, California
“Herbivore creates great vegetarian cuisine”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My wife (a vegetarian) and I (a carnivore) thoroughly enjoyed the food here. My mexican dish had grilled Gardein brand "chicken" pieces that actually tasted like grilled chicken! That's a first for me at a vegetarian restaurant. My wife had an excellent lentil loaf. Absolutely worth a visit.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank gklipfel
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The tastiest ever”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We went to to that restaurant and everyone of us tried a different meal and they all, without an exception, were so tasty. You wouldn't think it's a vegan restaurant. And also the prices aren't high at all. No doubt that it's one of the best vegan restaurants in the World.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Bennyburi
Plano, Texas
“Disappointed - Subway is better!”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stopped by for a late lunch with high hopes but everything was mediocre. The food was okay; the service was poor.

I ordered a cheesesteak sandwich. Honestly, the same sandwich at Subway is better. I also ordered fresh squeezed lemonade. What I received was watered down and lacking in flavor.

When I was ready to pay my bill, I have to wait 10-15 minutes for the waiter. He was either busy wrapping silverware into napkins, talking to the cook, or just disappearing. It reached the point that I decided not to way him down - I wanted to see if he would ever give a glance my way - he never did. Finally, another wait staff saw my look and she took my payment.

• Visited July 2012
Vallejo, California
“Great Place - Bad Pad Thai”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

This was my first visit to one of this chain' s locations. Impressive decor and menu - had a difficult time deciding with everything on the menu being vegan and sounding delicious. Selected the Pad Thai and a Thai Ice Tea. Tea came, and was weak on the spicy, sweet zing that I know should be there. It was palatable. When noodles came it looked nothing like the Pad Thai I have known, and have eaten throughout the USA. Some mung bean sprouts emerged from a puddle of beige, punctuated by some fresh red pepper slices and cilantro. Puddle of beige ended up being the "peanut sauce" - and barley tasted of peanuts. Thick, bland starch goo with a vinegary taste (?were they aiming for a lemongrass effect?). There were some short noodles in the goo, but it just tasted like starch covered in starch. I'm easy to please, but I almost sent this back.

I am looking forward to dining at Herbivore again and trying something different. They do have an exciting variety on the menu, and good dining environment. A good vegan restaurant can be hard to find!

• Visited March 2012