“not my favorite”

Cuisines: Pizza
california
“not my favorite”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

i've wanted to like gioia, which has a large following. it's not terrible by any means, but i only enjoy their plain. the vegetarian toppings never seem to harmonize, and meat toppings are quite salty. the crust is slightly thicker than i prefer.

Visited November 2012

Oakland, California, United States
“Good pizza in the neighborhood.”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Gioia Pizzeria offers tasty fairly thin crusted pizza. You can buy by the slice or get a full pie. They offer a wide range of toppings. It's always busy in there, but they keep things moving efficiently.

Visited January 2012
San Francisco, California
“Tied for first as Berkeley's best pizza”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Gioia Pizza and The Cheeseboard make the best thin crust pizza in Berkeley. Of course that's a subjective opinion but you won't go wrong at either location.

• Visited September 2012
Gainesville, Florida
“Outstanding and May Leave You Standing Outside”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Rightly honored as among the very best pizzerias in the East Bay, or perhaps the West Coast, this small and pleasingly fragrant place is a magnet for any innocent passersby. My vacation landlord had recommended the Coffee and Cheese Market nearby, and after shopping there my nose led me right into Gioia. Although they prepare and serve a variety of pizzas topped by meats, my preference is for vegetarian pizzas. Happily, as I arrived a zucchini and mozzeralla pizza was just leaving the oven and making its way to the counter. I ordered a slice and a local sarsaparilla beverage to go with it. Standing room only inside, I occupied a bench on the sidewalk--attracting envious stares from people walking by who seemed to have urgent business elsewhere. The thin crust, the good quality cheese put on the pie in plenty, and the lowly zucchini were a formidible combination. Refreshed and strengthened, I continued my shopping, only now with a slightly oily smile glistening on my very happy face.

• Visited July 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
“For thin crust fans”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I was visiting a local and we had been shopping at the Monterrey Market and she suggested stopping off for a slice of pizza before driving back up in to the Berkeley Hills. Her parking karma had gotten us a space right in front of the place so after depositing the groceries in the car we joined the line. There was a 10 minute wait for her favorite - mushroom - so we both decided to go for the special of the day - a prosciutto with red onions, parsley and provolone. It had just come out of the oven so after it was placed on a paper plate and we added a bit of salt and cheese, we retreated to the bench outside to enjoy. And that we did. I have only recently been converted to thin crust - I'm originally from Chicago - and this was THIN. My slice was a bit oily but, again, I like it that way. I had a sasparilla for my drink - they have three or four other "standard" fountain drinks and a homemade lemonade. There are only five or six counter places to eat so this is NOT a place to take a date. The business is almost 100% slices and whole pies. This being Berkeley there is a strong emphasis or ogranicness if that's a word.

• Visited June 2012