“An unexpected and welcome retreat in the heart of Berkeley”

Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 20, 2010

I stayed at this hotel to attend a wedding. The hotel is small, but clean, modern, visually beautiful and the staff is super-friendly. The hotel was really busy the whole weekend, but the staff I spoke with always made me feel like I was their only guest. The wedding itself was offsite, but we came back for the reception. I stay at hotels alot, and I rarely receive such uniform friendliness throughout all departments. Everyone from the front desk to the banquet servers to the bellman and the housekeepers I met in the hall were all genuinely warm and friendly. The food was incredible and I already want to go back!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,401)

Reviewed September 18, 2010

I stayed in a room that adjoined my 88 and 89 year old parents -- we were in Berkeley for my youngest son's graduation from Cal. They set up the adjoining rooms without us even having to ask, which was great, as we had booked separately. Even though our rooms faced Berkeley's busiest surface street, the noise was not noticeable. The restaurant was excellent, if a little spendy, and the location to the Cal campus is superb -- my parents could pretty much walk to everything. Lots of other great places to eat close by also, and room service was good and reasonably priced for breakfast. Best -- it was close enough to BART that we never had to take a taxi, and got in and out of Oakland airport via bus and BART pretty easily.
Even my parents liked the peace symbol on the front foyer floor!
Internet was smooth and fast enough, after calling the front desk for an updated password.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2010

During a recent trip to San Francisco we ended up having to spend one night elsewhere because of a mix up at our downtown hotel. Luckily we found a good deal on the Hotel Shattuck Plaza on Hotwire for the one night.

First off the trip from SF to Berkeley was easy, about 20 minutes on the BART, and the Hotel Shattuck Plaza is literally right next to the downtown Berkeley stop on the BART.

The hotel has a very modern feel to it, and the reminders that you were in Berkeley were everywhere - everything is green or recycled or conserving energy - which is cool. In fact to run the power and lights in your room your room card needs to be inserted in a slot by the door - I guess this is to ensure that you don't waste energy while you're away. Makes sense.

The room and bed were very comfortable - a nice HDTV complimented things. The bathroom was very clean and modern although if I have one minor complaint it's about the bathroom door. First off - it's a sliding glass door that even when fully "closed" doesn't totally seal you off from the rest of the room. On top of that, our door kept sliding back open on its own - which could make things a tad awkward if you're not very comfortable with your travel mate.

Otherwise a very clean, comfortable and modern hotel in an ideal spot for visiting Berkeley or even San Francisco.

1  Thank MaxRussell
Reviewed September 15, 2010

I recently stayed at the Shattuck Plaza and spent a lot of time in the hotel, as I was attending a conference held within the hotel itself. This hotel is ideal for hosting such an event. Other groups of up to 50 or so should consider the Shattuck Plaza for their conferences. The range of food options within walking distance provides something for everyone.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2010

This is my 1st time ever writing a review but was so impressed with this hotel and restaurant that felt I owed it to the staff for their hard work. We come to Berkeley four times a year and have stayed at every hotel and B&B over the past 10 years. The new Hotel is far and away the nicest hotel in the area. Great location and easy access to Cal, downtown and Bart. The asst. front desk mgr, Josh, knows what a difference great customer service makes and makes sure his guests are well taken care of. Earlier in the day we also met Banks, the exec chef of Five, and he told us what finds were on that day's menu from the Farmer's Market. I like the fact he uses fresh,local and sustainable ingredients. We canceled our other dinner reservations and ate there and we and our guests and were very pleased and impressed with our dinners.
You will not be disappointed by the hotel or restaurant.

Reviewed September 6, 2010

Going to Hotel Shattuck Plaza is always like visiting friends and family. The staff there is genuinely caring and concerned about their guests. We have always had an over-the-top guest experience here. Anything from sitting in the lounge with a friend and ordering tea to having a whole post-wedding lunch there. They always throw in a little something extra or have wonderful suggestions about what might truly make your experience the best that it can be.

My husband and I were recent residents of Berkeley and had our post-wedding lunch at the HSP. They threw together a fantastic lunch for us, made wonderful meal suggestions, and gave us a discounted rate on our wedding night room with a complimentary breakfast. They amazingly threw it all together in just three weeks. The food couldn't have been more amazing and our guests were really impressed! How can you go wrong with local, organic ingredients? The event coordinator a few months later asked us for our wedding photos from our event and we happily supplied them.

So this year, after we moved away a few months ago, we went to stay there for our first anniversary and it was like coming home again. We were so surprised to see our wedding-day photo in the lobby! We told them that was us and how excited we were to be back and they threw in tons of little goodies for us.

As always the room was amazing with tons of amenities that make you feel at home. And I have never slept in any other hotel where the bed was THAT comfortable.

Like I mentioned before, what makes this a great experience is not just the updated and cool decor, but the wonderful service in every corner of the hotel. From the door man to the cleanliness of the rooms, this hotel shows it's all about the guests.

1  Thank AMWooton
Reviewed September 3, 2010

I recently stayed at the Shattuck Plaza Hotel for the first time, and I’d like to say that I loved this place and plan on coming back. When I first walked in, there was an amazing peace sign at the threshold — I thought “This is my kind of place.” The views of San Francisco Bay are spectacular. My room was spacious and comfortable. I travel a lot around the world, so I see a lot of hotel rooms. This is really one of the best I’ve been in. The location is convenient to the University of California campus, the new Brower Center, and a BART station (that connects with the San Francisco and Oakland Airports). And the local scene is very much in keeping with the spirit of Berkeley, including a wide variety of ethnic food available at reasonable prices. Thanks to to the staff of the hotel — they were accommodating and helpful throughout my stay.

-- Richard O’Barry, Marine Mammal Specialist for Earth Island Institute of Berkeley and star of the Academy Award-winning documentary, The Cove.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business