“Best Eggs Benedict, Ever!”

Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 1, 2009

The hotel was recently rennovated. It is modern, chic, simple and nice. Had a king room, not the largest, but fine. Fantastic staff.

AND, they served the best eggs benedict I have ever had! Really, it was that good.
I'd go out of my way to have it again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed June 29, 2009

The staff were most attentive to my every need. A requested room change was accomplished graciously, promptly and efficiently. Because the hotel had only recently opened room service was not fully available. However it only took a minute or two for a morning coffee request to be delivered to my door with a smile. My room was quiet, the bed very comfortable. The hotel location is convenient for the BART station, taxis are available close by and there is a parking garage across the street. The towels were large and fluffy and there was also a nice terry robe. I wish my stay had been longer so I could have tried some of the new restaurant's dishes - which from the menu looked delicious. It was very pleasant accommodation for the four nights I was there. I loved the decor.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 24, 2009

they are 80% complete with a nice rehab of the rooms and common areas. very nice staff. funky decor and colors. restaurant and bar still under construction.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2009

We were the 2nd customer to check in. Lots of happy staff, ready to help with anything you need.
The room was beautiful. Everything is new and clean. The bathrobes were wonderful. We received a free upgrade(on top of the preview rate special) since only the 5th floor rooms were complete.
Parking is on your own, but the garage is right across the street. The Bart is right there.
Easy walking to a multitude of fabulous dining establishments.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2009

Having traveled all over the U.S.A for business, when I stay at a hotel that deems a shout out, I am going to tell you how it is….and this hotel I AM YELLING! It was absolutely stunning, and so well put together!

From the moment you walk over the peace sign in the lobby with the RED crystal chandler above to the sunny relaxing guest room, I just couldn’t stop staring. I did tell them that if I could check in for ever - I would. The service is outstanding. The rooms inspire me to want to go home and redecorate each room in my house. They brought wallpaper back - I love it!

Looking forward to my return to Berkeley. Well done Hotel Shattuck, well done! Bravo!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank JustMeMPH
Reviewed August 10, 2007

We checked in. The lobby was pretty old and not very well maintained, but we thought it would be worthwhile to see the rooms before we made any judgements. So we took the one elevator that worked up to the fifth floor. When we arrived at our room we found somebody else's stuff sitting in the corner... apparently the maids missed that when they cleaned the room. I also noticed that this room had no curtains... hope you don't need a dark room to fall asleep. We called down and got moved to a different room, and that one didn't have anyone else's stuff in it, but it was smaller and dirtier than the first. The wallpaper was peeling off in layers. The carpet was multicolored (and not intentionally that way). The bed looked like it was probably older than we are. The bathroom had yellow tiles, and that was just kind of funny. They had used tub paint to resurface the bottom of the shower, but that was peeling off.

It's really a shame because this hotel has character and an excellent location. With proper management and renovation this could easily be one of the nicest hotels in the area.

On the bright side, the girl at the front desk was really nice and didn't even make a fuss when I told her that it was too dirty and we couldn't stay there. :-)

I would have paid $30, not the $90 that we booked the room for.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank alwayssummer82
HSP2009, Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2009

After being closed for months, the Hotel Shattuck Plaza recently completed a major renovation. The new ownership and management teams are committed to providing an exceptional hospitality experience within a "newly historic" boutique hotel. We hope that you may consider visiting the new Hotel Shattuck Plaza. Thank you.

Reviewed June 27, 2007

Jose, Hotel manager and front desk. thank you very much for your honesty and assistance in retriveing my watch from room 301. The watch cost nothing but was family gift and treasured by me. Old hotel but very friendly service. I have been coming here from 1988. See you guys after renovation.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)