“For the price, just an average hotel”

Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed here for a wedding weekend because it was the hotel selected by the bride and groom with a "special rate." Even with our special discount, we felt the price was out of line with what we received. The room - while nicely decorated - was incredibly small (and we're from NYC, so we know small). Can't complain at all about cleanliness, and at least WiFi was free. But no breakfast? Not even tea and coffee in the lobby in the morning? What a disappointment. The largest disappointment, though, was room service. I'm still not sure how a $12 egg breakfast and an order of french toast with coffee, somehow came out to $49. I'm still scratching my head over this one. To boot, it arrived cold, and they forgot the English Muffin that came with the eggs. When I mentioned this upon checkout at the front desk, I got a half-hearted "I'm sorry" and that was the end of that. This is Holiday Inn level treatment, not nearly $300 a night "top" hotel treatment. A great disappointment.

Bottom line - the hotel is conveniently located to BART, food and other amenities, and the hotel sure looks nice and upscale. It's also clean. But it is certainly not a great value. Previously we stayed at the Hotel Durant, which has a lot more charm, more space, and overall we felt was a better value for the money.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Shattuck Plaza

Reviewed July 23, 2014

My husband and I stayed here separately on two occasions. On my stay, I had room 524. Although I know it is probably the best hotel in Berkeley I was disappointed by a number of things, mostly related to the room and its cleaning. Although the room was large enough to have one (this must be one of the larger rooms--king bed and both tub and shower in bath), there was no minibar or fridge. And although the bathroom was large there really was not enough shelf/counter space for toiletries. The fabric headboard showed soiling from previous occupants' heads. The rug was worn. In addition, used glasses were sometimes not removed by housekeeping and clean glasses were not always provided.
My room was located on the 5th floor facing Shattuck Street but I did not have the noise issues mentioned by others since there was an inner window (but doesn't open).
My experience in the restaurant, however, was excellent. Staff was extremely friendly and very knowledgable.
If there were a better hotel in Berkeley I might stay there but there is not. If they could attend to these issues it would be a really great hotel. Sorry...just being honest.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Dear xymom,

We are grateful that you have shared about your experiences with the Hotel Shattuck Plaza and FIVE. I apologize for the inconsistencies you experienced with your room and know that our team is working to address them.

We are delighted that you enjoyed our restaurant FIVE and found our team to be friendly and knowledgeable. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly before your next visit.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed July 21, 2014

I am giving the Hotel Shattuck Plaza five stars because TEN is not an option!

I teared up saying goodbye to the general manager, as I tried to express my heartfelt appreciation for the warmth, responsiveness, friendliness and attention that the staff provided to me and my family during our week in residence. My favorite hotel stay---ever.

We booked more than 30 rooms for an extended wedding weekend and we really put the staff through their paces, especially by starting our visit with a car crash at their front door. The hotel is beautifully kept, and the housekeeping staff brought towels & toiletries, took laundry, tidied up after the bridal party, etc. The front desk staff managed endless requests--changing rooms, calling cabs, providing BART tutorials, advising about activities & attractions, etc. The dining room/bar staff kept up with a constant stream of guests, some landing mid-meal, and many with the same last name but 30 different room numbers. [Let me recommend the entire menu, but especially the bacon & eggs and French fries, my favorite comfort foods.]

HSF is ideal for a wedding party. The lobby, bar and dining room all flow into one another so you can sit anywhere (the lobby has several seating areas) and see friends coming in the door or off the elevator. So, for example, someone could order coffee, and be joined by a couple who wanted breakfast, and wave goodbye to others heading off to sightsee in the city. Personally I enjoyed sitting at the bar where everyone could stop for a drink and make dinner plans.

As the mother-of-the-bride, I was concerned about the comfort and happiness of many people, some of whom had travelled overseas to be with us. The hotel staff made this a delightful task. They actively contributed to the success of the entire weekend. And, the bed was fabulous :-)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Donna S,

Thank you so much for your raving review. We were so delighted to be part of your weeklong stay and your Daughter's wedding. You had a chance to experience our team at their best and we thank you for sharing as the team was ecstatic to see how they played such a positive role in your experience.

We hope to welcome you back and wish you all the best in your travels.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

This is a really pice and convenient place to stay in Berkeley. It is directly close to the BART and the Unicersity. I stood there for four days and really enjoyed it. The major disadvantage is that the bar closes at 10:30.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

lerche35,

Thank you for your comments on your four night stay. We appreciate your feedback and are thrilled that you had such a great experience. We hope to welcome you back soon

Reviewed July 17, 2014

The number one priority of a hotel is to provide the conditions for a good sleep.
Unfortunately, this is not the case with room 212 at Shattuck Plaza. The room shares a wall with the fitness center having 3 treadmills exactly at the other side of the wall behind your pillow. The typical treadmill noise wave made the whole walls vibrate and obviously no sleep was possible after 5:30a. It is so intense that you can pretty much guess how many people are running as well as their approximate weight.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank talos2007

Dear talos2007,

We regret that you were disappointed with your stay due to the proximity to the fitness room and apologize for this. We have corrected this by altering the time it opens and are researching other ways to provide both a restful sleep and an available fitness center. We have also noted your profile that you do not want to be in room 212. We also encourage guest to use the YMCA with is complimentary to hotel guests with a pass.

Best, regards,

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Lovely lobby (love the peace sign at the door) with a hip, trendy vibe and a very cool bar and restaurant off to one side. Rooms were a little small on the small side but nothing unexpected or unmanageable for a family of 4. Very nice, clean, nice amenities (including a Kcup coffee machine, which I always appreciate). Very firm mattress (a little firm for my preference) but otherwise comfy furniture. Excellent service.
The location has a bit more of an urban-gritty feel than you might expect in Berkeley, where the bucolic Cal campus is just a block or two away. While I was a bit taken aback by the proliferation of panhandlers in the area, I never felt threatened. The area is very walkable with plenty of food choices around, and not too far from the "gourmet ghetto."

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Missgrl,

Thank you for your lovely review of our unique decor, convenient location, and commitment to guest service.

We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Like a Kimpton: cool, hip, clean, nice amenities, and a bargain. I have spent less per night here than the dumpy motels and motor inns down on University Ave. Would highly recommend. Very close to the Berkeley subway stop and gourmet gulch on upper Shattuck.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Dear craig f,

Thank you for sharing about your experience while a guest at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza. We love feedback and it is great to know when we exceeded expectations. We are also delighted to know that our central location to Berkeley and all the SF Bay area was convenient for you during your visit.

All the best in your travels. We look forward to seeing you again!