“Wonderful Historic Hotel, Close to Cal Campus for our visit”

Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Came up here to tour the UC Berkeley campus as our daughter was recently accepted. I wanted to stay in Berkeley to get a better "feel" for the surrounding area and found this hotel by using reviews on Trip Advisor.

It is a wonderful boutique style hotel with history. We utilized the parking garage across the street for parking but know they do not validate the parking. I spent about $40 for the weekend for parking there, which isn't bad, considering I also paid $40 for 4 HOURS of parking in San Francisco at Pier 39. As usual, parking is always at a premium in the San Fran area.

Check-in was wonderful, the girl who checked us in was also a Cal student and spent a good 10 minutes during check-in talking to my daughter and I about the school, etc. We received more information from her than the admissions people over the phone, which was appreciated. They gave us directions and a map as well.

The room was nice, albeit a bit smaller than I expected but it is a nicely renovated historic property, so I expected this. The rooms were beautifully decorated with modern decor, beautiful high ceilings with crown mouldings, etc. Bathroom was situated at far end of room, which was different, with a beautiful "bowl-style" sink situated on top of the counter, a regular shower and toilet as well. I liked the energy conserving nature of the hotel requiring your room key to be in a slot to operate the lights, heating, etc. Beds were extremely comfortable with quality linens. Entire room was lined by tall windows with wonderful sheer curtains and heavier silk drapes that could be pulled. It was just a very elegant type of room, indicative of the hotels past grandness. I personally enjoyed that.

All of the modern amenities you need in a hotel, plenty of outlets, plenty of lighting. I agree with a previous poster who mentioned the desk seems high--it is--not conducive for getting work done over the long haul but I have a feeling most people utilizing this hotel are not there on business.

Be prepared for quite a walk to your hotel, depending on where your room is located. Ours was about as far away from the elevator as you could be but it was okay. Halls are curiously decorated in different wall paper themes at every turn.

Others complained of noise and although on Friday night when we first turned in, there were sirens, loud cars, etc..I wondered if I would be able to even sleep, but after awhile it calmed down and I slept all night just fine without being woken up. I had to be up at 6am, and it was perfectly quiet outside until probably around 7am, so I wasn't woken up by any loud traffic or people noise either. I am a bit particular about sound too, so believe me when I say it was not that bad, at least on the rooms that face Shattuck and I would have actually expected those to be the more noisy rooms. Another poster mentioned they had a room directly next to the elevator and could hear a chain type noise every time it went up and down-- and Yes, I did notice that were was literally a room RIGHT next door to the elevator (door actually seemed to almost touch the elevator doors!) and just standing outside waiting for the elevator, I can hear the sound they were speaking about and I would definitely NOT want that room right next to the elevator shaft/doors.

They have a Keurig machine in the room with 4 different types of coffee and tea. This is wonderful, but my only complaint is they give you this wonderful coffee to enjoy in your room but ruin the experience by including only the basic generic powdered creamer and sugar packets you see at every lower end hotel. They should at least have liquid creamers of some type to use with the Keurigs, it defeats the purpose and wonderful touch of having the keurig in the room in the first place. Alternatively, we went a few doors down to the Starbucks located in the lower level of the building (but outside of the actual hotel) and enjoyed looking at all the old photographs of the Hotel Shattuck Plaza from back in the old days.

A wonderful, historic hotel that we will definitely be using again on our next trip up to Berkeley with our daughter.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms next to elevator. If noise is an issue, request a room on the "quietest" stre...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Tammy B
There are newer reviews for Hotel Shattuck Plaza

Reviewed April 6, 2014

My company booked a meeting at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza recently. Never heard of it but enjoyed the stay. Hotel was decorated much differently than most business oriented hotels. Wallpaper and carpet are loud but look good. Meeting rooms were spacious and the food was great.

Was a bit noisy in the meeting rooms as the hotel staff was constantly moving items past the meeting rooms and at times we could hear the staff talking and laughing in the rooms next to our meeting rooms.

The hotel rooms were small but comfortable. Try not to get a room on Shattuck street because it has a lot of street noise. I learned not to get a Phillips flat screen TV because I hate how long it takes for the TV to respond to the remote control commands (I know some of that goes to the hotel entertainment system then back to the TV, but it was abnormally slow and annoying).

Overall a good stay

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2014

This review is based on multiple stays in the Hotel Shattuck Plaza, most recently in March 2014, with comparisons to four hotels and 1 B&B in and around Berkeley. For my needs, the Shattuck was clearly the best of the bunch. Far better than the quaint but aging UC Berkeley faculty club, the dreary Durant, the pleasant but tired Bancroft, or the unpleasant and tired Rose Garden Inn B&B (Rose Garden's great breakfast notwithstanding). Location is more convenient to BART and Berkeley biz than the otherwise excellent Hyatt in Emeryville.

Rooms: This is an older hotel with variation in room features. In my experience, the rooms varied from good to excellent. The standard rooms were large and bright with a comfortable bed, up to date furnishings and recently renovated bathrooms. Some had tubs and some had showers. On my most recent visit, I lucked out with an upgrade to a very nice junior suite. The junior suite (448) was a corner room with couch and two easy chairs and huge bed. Some noise early in the morning from trash collection.
Advice: Do not hesitate to ask for features that you value. Bath tub or shower. High floor or low. Light or dark. Quiet or noisy. Near or far. It is a one block (literally) walk from the elevators to rooms at the southern end of the floors. If you prefer to do your hiking in the Berkeley hills request a room on the Allston Way side.

Staff: From front desk to maids, excellent service. Efficient, courteous and warm. Friendly without adopting the full California "hey I am your best friend for life." Very well trained.

Location: Great location right at the south exit from the Downtown Berkeley BART station. Surrounded by good eating, close to the UC campus . . ..
Advice: If you need transport from SFO to Berkeley, especially during rush hours, take the BART instead of taxi or super shuttle. The BART takes about an hour and costs $9.25 . A colleague went with Super Shuttle during PM rush hour. It took twice as long as the BART and cost much more. BART times are variable and you have to allow time for the shuttle from BART to terminals, so allow 90 minutes for transit.
Advice: For an outstanding selection of local craft beers, skip the hotel bar and head across Shattuck to the Jupiter.

Old Quibbles Corrected: In previous visits, the wifi was slow, desk chair was uncomfortable and desk was too high for comfortable computer use and outlets were too few. Desk was still a bit too high for computer use. Desk chair now fine. Ample number of outlets in base of lamps. The new two tiered wifi system worked well. Even the free service was functional.

Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank aversetospam
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I don't much like Berkeley and there aren't a whole lot of good hotel options, but I have had to stay there several times, and this is the best of the hotels I've been in. The rooms are nicely designed and comfortable but not large. Everything is clean and well taken care of. I think this is the best place to stay in downtown Berkeley, though the level of competition is not great. It would be nice if it had a better fitness center; there were no stationary bikes.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Buckaroo52
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I loved this hotel from the minute I checked in. I had come off a long flight and the staff saw how tired I was and made sure he got me a higher room on a quitter street. I guess some rooms can be noisy since Berkley is a lively place. The location was perfect. So may shops and restaurants and lively street atmosphere. There was a nearby bookstore that was perfect. An eclectic collection where I found many more items than I had room for. Also a very cool, toy, science, game store almost across the street from the hotel. Great gifts for the children.

Room Tip: High room on quiet street
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 20, 2014

With a few fixes, Berkeley's Shattuck Plaza Hotel might be a great place to spend the night. It's close to the gorgeous Cal campus and the gourmet's paradise inspired by Chez Panisse. The hotel looks great, bursting with color and unusual decorations while still looking like a great place to rest. But then there's the bad. The staff seemed indifferent at best and brusque at worst, and despite the lovely surface, this hotel missed on the big things. The mattress in our room was unforgivably defective, so used and dented in the center that it felt like sleeping on a hillside (which means, very little sleep took place). Who cares about nice sheets when the bed they cover should be burned! You get a better bed in your average Hampton Inn or Marriott Courtyard. Come on, Shattuck Plaza, pay attention to what is most important.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank pickynotsnooty
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Dear picknotsnooty,

I regret that you were not satisfied with your stay. It certainly not our intent to inconvenience our guests in anyway. Primarily, I am disappointed by the experience you had with our team. We are typically known for our engaging and attentive team. I welcome additional feedback so I can follow up further. As for the mattress, apologize and will work to replace it if it is not to standard. I can assure you that a lumpy mattress is not our standard.

We value your feedback and do hope that you will give us another try. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kindest regards,

Greg

Greg Mauldin | General Manager
Hotel Shattuck Plaza | FIVE, Restaurant & Bar

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Excellent location north of UC Berkeley. An area with lots of great shops and restaurants. I stayed here while my son did a Regent's Interview and overnight at Berkeley. I checked in and then we walked a block onto campus. As a mom over 50 I felt perfectly safe walking alone back to my hotel. The hotel was beautifully decorated and very clean. The staff was extremely courteous. I had dinner alone in the hotel's restaurant, The Five. The wait staff was very attentive and my dinner was very good. The room was small but very clean and very comfortable. Check out and check in was a breeze. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo