1,553 results
All reviews bart station peace sign downtown berkeley street noise homeless people counter space boutique hotel two blocks san francisco chez panisse bathroom door comfortable rooms fitness room location was perfect quiet room valet parking fitness center
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I first stayed at the Hotel Shattuck in 2001 and did not think too much of it. Slightly old and worn down back then. Now flash forward to 2013 to the newly renovated Hotel Shattuck, and it has been transformed into a very comfortable, clean and modern hotel. A night and day difference from the previous Hotel Shattuck! The new Hotel Shattuck is a gem and I will definitely plan to stay here again on my next business or pleasure trip to the east bay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Dear Pete S,

Thank you for the great review and we are thrilled to see your comparison to who we were and what we have become. We are always evolving and feedback such as yours helps us know that we are on the right track.

We look forward to your return!

Kindest regards.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Enjoyed my overnight here. Easy walk to nice restaurants. Near bart. Clean. Helpful staff. A to die for dessert. Fought the coffee maker and it won. Not real intuitive. Otherwise very nice stay. Would stay again and spend more time and try restaurant.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Shattuck Plaza for 2 weeks while doing an advanced management program at Haas/Berkeley.
The hotel is housed in a historic building dating back 100+ years, but has been lovingly restored. The location was great - within walking distance of UC Berkeley and just across the street from a BART station which gives easy access to SF and SFO.
There's a parking garage across the street ($22/day maximum charge) and free parking along the street at night - if you're lucky enough to find an empty spot. There's a Walgreens just across the street, and numerous restaurants, cafes and eateries in the vicinity, all within walking distance.
The staff at the front desk are friendly and helpful. No complaints, overall, except that by international standards, the hotel is pretty average. There's no fridge or safe in the rooms, which vary in size, so ask for a bigger room at check-in. (I've heard from friends who stayed at other hotels in Berkeley that theirs is much worse.)

Room Tip: Rooms vary in size - ask for a bigger room at check-in. Rooms on 2nd floor facing the main road may be noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Richard C
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza on Thursday and Friday nights and appreciated the convenient proximity to the BART station and UC Berkeley (a 20-minute walk to North Central campus). We parked in the garage across the street at a reasonable cost of $30 for 48 hours. Our room, like the hotel lobby, was thoughtfully-designed and immaculate. The king bed was very comfortable, and though we were on the third floor adjacent to the HVAC units, we experienced no issues with street or mechanical noise. The room's working/sitting area was on the small side, perfect for one person, but cramped for two people with laptops. The staff were neither super friendly nor particularly visible, but they were accomodating with our few requests (e.g. a late checkout). In summary, we slept well, worked adequately in somewhat tight quarters, and easily commuted to meetings in San Francisco and at UC Berkeley. We'd stay here again.

3  Thank Sara S
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Sara S.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback. We value all feedback and incorporate it into our culture and operations. It is also good to know we were convenient to your appointments at both UC Berkeley and San Francisco.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

2086 Allston Way | Berkeley, CA 94704

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed here for three nights for a conference at the university. Was mostly very happy with the hotel. I love old hotels and this one has a beautifully restored exterior that gives you an idea of what it looked like in the 1930s. This was my first time in BErkeley and I loved the art deco architecture downtown and the well-preserved buildings..if you have time check the BErkely Public Library as well, also a gorgeous deco building.
When you're in the lobby of the hotel, check out the fascinating original menus and newspaper clippings from the hotel's early days that are on the wall above the computers that are to the left of the check-in desk.
The hotel location is great, right near the bart station, making it easy to get to and from San Francisco. I wanted to spend more time in SF than in Berkeley when I had spare time and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to get to the downtown SF area from Berekely..a quick trip on the bart and then transfer to muni line at the Embarcadero stop. Coming back at night can take a bit longer because you have to transfer in Oakland Bart rather than getting a direct train to berkeley from downtown.
I was very happy with the hotel itself. The interior has been given a contemporary modern deign look rather than trying to make it look as it might have looked in the 1930s (which I would have preferred), but the rooms have been smartly done.
Even though my room was very small, things were organized well. I felt glad that my room was not above the street because I was concerned it might be noisy if it had been. I looked onto the back of a different wing of the hotel and could see across to the BErkeley public library, so I didn't have to worry about street noise.
The dark blue carpets in the halls were a slightly odd choice, because I noticed they tended to show every bit of dirt and lint...when I would get off the elevator on my floor, the carpets outside the elevator always looked like they needed to be vacuumed, with lots of white lint and dust.
There are many restaurants in short walking distance from the hotel. We had a nice breakfast at Venus down the street. And try the Italian gelato shop also nearby, run by a guy from Italy, with some unusual and interesting flavours, like lavender blueberry.
The main thing I didn't like about the hotel was how extremely noisy the lobby always was..mainly because the lobby is really just a tiny little section directly across from the bar/restaurant, which is not closed off from the lobby in any way..So when I first walked in to the hotel I thought I had come in to the restaurant by mistake and that there must be a different door for the hotel lobby...But the check-in desk is actually just a tiny desk over to the left when you come in..Because there is a big, long bar right as you walk in, and the floors and walls are all hard surfaces, it is extremely noisy when people are there having drinks etc after work..
I prefer a quiet, relaxing hotel lobby when I'm coming and going , so did not enjoy this at all..I felt sorry for the desk clerks having to work in all that noise all the time. I wish the hotel designers had found a way to separate the lobby from the restaurant to create a quieter space, but it's a small space, so that would have been difficult, I guess.
The workout room is very small, so I didn't bother, but the Berkeley YMCA is just down the street about a block, so I went there to exercise each day. I happen to be a Y member so was able to use their gym with a $5 charge. Apparently the hotel can also give you a day pass to the Y..not sure if there is a charge for this, but the Y has great facilities.
So overall, I would definitely stay at this hotel again for the location and convenience of being so close to the Bart station. Just be prepared for a very noisy lobby, especially at night.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Steve1,

We appreciated your review as your feedback was rich with specifics and provides us with greater insight into our design and operations. While we enjoy a vibrant and energized lobby/bar we understand that is not always appreciated by all guests and we do have plans to make those enhancements middle of this year. Your comments about our convenience to BART and some of our local purveyors like Almare Gelato and downtown Berkeley has become a marketplace for great variety of cuisines to experience and ranges from fast and convenient to fine/casual. We expect to have worked out a partnership with the YMCA across the street and while in our test phase it is complimentary, we do expect that a small fee for the day use pass will begin in April. But as you attested, it is a magnificent YMCA.

Thank you again for the feedback and w look forward to exceeding your expectations on your next stay.

2086 Allston Way | Berkeley, CA 94704