1,561 results
All reviews bart station peace sign downtown berkeley parking garage street noise homeless people counter space boutique hotel two blocks key card san francisco chez panisse bathroom door comfortable room definitely stay here again location was perfect rooms are small
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed here for three nights for a conference at the university. Was mostly very happy with the hotel. I love old hotels and this one has a beautifully restored exterior that gives you an idea of what it looked like in the 1930s. This was my first time in BErkeley and I loved the art deco architecture downtown and the well-preserved buildings..if you have time check the BErkely Public Library as well, also a gorgeous deco building.
When you're in the lobby of the hotel, check out the fascinating original menus and newspaper clippings from the hotel's early days that are on the wall above the computers that are to the left of the check-in desk.
The hotel location is great, right near the bart station, making it easy to get to and from San Francisco. I wanted to spend more time in SF than in Berkeley when I had spare time and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to get to the downtown SF area from Berekely..a quick trip on the bart and then transfer to muni line at the Embarcadero stop. Coming back at night can take a bit longer because you have to transfer in Oakland Bart rather than getting a direct train to berkeley from downtown.
I was very happy with the hotel itself. The interior has been given a contemporary modern deign look rather than trying to make it look as it might have looked in the 1930s (which I would have preferred), but the rooms have been smartly done.
Even though my room was very small, things were organized well. I felt glad that my room was not above the street because I was concerned it might be noisy if it had been. I looked onto the back of a different wing of the hotel and could see across to the BErkeley public library, so I didn't have to worry about street noise.
The dark blue carpets in the halls were a slightly odd choice, because I noticed they tended to show every bit of dirt and lint...when I would get off the elevator on my floor, the carpets outside the elevator always looked like they needed to be vacuumed, with lots of white lint and dust.
There are many restaurants in short walking distance from the hotel. We had a nice breakfast at Venus down the street. And try the Italian gelato shop also nearby, run by a guy from Italy, with some unusual and interesting flavours, like lavender blueberry.
The main thing I didn't like about the hotel was how extremely noisy the lobby always was..mainly because the lobby is really just a tiny little section directly across from the bar/restaurant, which is not closed off from the lobby in any way..So when I first walked in to the hotel I thought I had come in to the restaurant by mistake and that there must be a different door for the hotel lobby...But the check-in desk is actually just a tiny desk over to the left when you come in..Because there is a big, long bar right as you walk in, and the floors and walls are all hard surfaces, it is extremely noisy when people are there having drinks etc after work..
I prefer a quiet, relaxing hotel lobby when I'm coming and going , so did not enjoy this at all..I felt sorry for the desk clerks having to work in all that noise all the time. I wish the hotel designers had found a way to separate the lobby from the restaurant to create a quieter space, but it's a small space, so that would have been difficult, I guess.
The workout room is very small, so I didn't bother, but the Berkeley YMCA is just down the street about a block, so I went there to exercise each day. I happen to be a Y member so was able to use their gym with a $5 charge. Apparently the hotel can also give you a day pass to the Y..not sure if there is a charge for this, but the Y has great facilities.
So overall, I would definitely stay at this hotel again for the location and convenience of being so close to the Bart station. Just be prepared for a very noisy lobby, especially at night.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Steve1,

We appreciated your review as your feedback was rich with specifics and provides us with greater insight into our design and operations. While we enjoy a vibrant and energized lobby/bar we understand that is not always appreciated by all guests and we do have plans to make those enhancements middle of this year. Your comments about our convenience to BART and some of our local purveyors like Almare Gelato and downtown Berkeley has become a marketplace for great variety of cuisines to experience and ranges from fast and convenient to fine/casual. We expect to have worked out a partnership with the YMCA across the street and while in our test phase it is complimentary, we do expect that a small fee for the day use pass will begin in April. But as you attested, it is a magnificent YMCA.

Thank you again for the feedback and w look forward to exceeding your expectations on your next stay.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We love this hotel. The restaurant itself is enough of a draw; its some of the best food we have had period. It makes other hotel restaurants look like mediocre fast food. The staff is always welcoming and pleasant. The rooms are always well appointed and clean. This hotels is across from the BART station and within walking distance to many other great restaurants as well as the UC Berkeley campus. We come here to visit our son at CAL. The first thing we do is have dinner at the restaurant Five. It is something we all look forward too. The wait staff is great.

Room tip: Ak for an upper floor. Less street noise and a better view.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Eekmama

Dear Eekmama,

Thank you for your recent review and we are delighted to have consistently met or exceeded your expectations. Chef Banks and the team at FIVE was honored you spoke so favorably to your dining experience.

We look forward to your next visit and trust that you will once again be delighted by the seasonally changing menu at FIVE.

Best,

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed at the Shattuck for one night for a visit to UC Berkeley with my teenage son. We had a nice room with 2 double beds, a desk and arm chair, and a nice bathroom. The staff were welcoming and our room was clean and comfortable, with a warm but modern look. I used the workout room, which is pretty small and has just two treadmills, an elliptical machine, and free weights with a single bench. But considering that's all I really use, it was great! There were a bunch of casual restaurants nearby, a Starbuck's on the same block, two pharmacies in walking distance, and a parking garage right across the street. Though our room was right on Shattuck on the second floor, street noise wasn't really noticeable. We ate breakfast in the morning at the restaurant--delicious omelettes! I would definitely come back here if I were to stay in Berkeley, again. It was cozy and comfortable and inviting.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank KirstiS
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear KristiS,

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay while a guest in Berkeley at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza. It is great that we have so many conveniences in our immediate area. Recently we have entered into a pilot program with the YMCA (one of the best in the Bay Area) across the street for guests to use their facilities with a day pass.

We love that you have added to the picture gallery and I have made sure to pass on your appreciating for the omelettes. The morning culinary team was thrilled to be mentioned!

Thank you for your time to share about your stay and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We've stayed at the Shattuck Plaza before, and were happy to go back. Service, as before, was excellent, and attitude towards guests remains wonderful. We did ask for a room change because the first room was slightly small, but the replacement was made quickly and without fuss. The restaurant was completely satisfying. We'll go back when we're in Berkeley again.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank deena w

Dear deenaclaire,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we are thrilled to have delivered you another satisfying stay. Creating an experience where our guests feel welcomed, comfortable, and taken care of is our primary goal and to know that we have consistently created this for you provides us with valuable insight.

We wish you safe travels and look forward to your next visit.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I was pleased by the location, which was especially perfect on the day I arrived, as it's right next to the BART. (I had to take a car service to SFO on Sunday morning, as I'd forgotten that BART doesn't wake up early on Sundays.) Downtown Berkeley isn't the most exciting Bay Area neighbourhood, but there's good Cal-Mex and good coffee in the neighbourhood, and there was very good gelato in the next block.

The biggest annoyance was that the restaurant is super-popular, and so the first floor is very noisy from 5:00 on, with large crowds of obnoxious people in suits blocking the exits and the like. It was more of a pain than I expected.

The other annoyance is that the rooms really are postage-stamp-sized, which was a bit of a surprise both considering the not-cheap prices and that Berkeley is not Manhattan. They had good layout, but if I'd been travelling with another person I'd probably have been really annoyed.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
2  Thank melted_snowball

Dear Melted Snowball,

Thank you for your recent review and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Berkeley does have much more to offer and if your travels bring you back, we welcome the opportunity to share some of our favorite places and adventures. Almare Gelato is one of our faves and they provide to us all of our selections sorbets and gelatos and coordinate with our Chef for some of our custom flavors. I do regret that during your stay FIVE was busy and perhaps there was a large group a the hotel as generally access to FIVE is not such a challenges as described.

I can also presume by your room description that you might have been in one of our Business class rooms. These are the smallest of our rooms however for $20 more our deluxe rooms have a noticeable space difference. We still find that our room rates are considerably less than SF and with our proximity to BART make us a serious alternative when travelling to the Bay Area.

All the best to you in your travels and we look forward to welcoming you back.