“Correct and clean but can be better”

Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Location is good, which is right near the BART station. The room is relatively large and clean. The hotel should have offered complimentary drinking water or at least a fridge with mini bar in the room.
The lobby/bar where people come here for a drink on Friday is a bit crowded and noisy.

Room Tip: Choose high floor room facing west if possible.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Tyst,

Thank you for staying at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza and taking the time to write a review. We appreciate all feedback as it helps us understand what we are doing well and what we can do differently. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I went to Berkely to attend to a 4 day course and stayed at Shattuck. The hotel is great for this type of stay (business or studying). The bed is very comfortable, probably the most comfortable bed ever!
The hotel has a special decoration, vintage and colorful, and the restaurant is very popular during nights.

The location is great, 1 block from the subway and just a few blocks from Berkeley University.

Staff was ok. Rooms had no frigde.

Room Tip: I believe some rooms can be noise due to the activity at the bar. Just check this before booking. Th...
1  Thank cucuchein

Dear Cucuchein,

We appreciate your feedback and are delighted you enjoyed your stay while finding our location to be convenient. We eagerly await your return and hope you enjoyed the 4 day course.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Upscale accommodations in Berkeley. Comfortable, attractive room; open lobby with good bar and dining. Great location to downtown and UC Berkeley. Rooms on street can be noisy. Overall a good choice in Berkeley.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rhale53

Dear rhale53,

We are grateful for your feedback and that you enjoyed your stay with us. We agree that our location is convenient to UC as well as to the vast reach of BART.

Take care and we truly hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stay two nights and would have stayed many more. This hotel has all the amenities of the big chains but provided by the most customer focused staff I’ve ever stayed with and with the uniqueness of a local boutique hotel. There is plenty of parking across the street in the garage and the hotel is near a lot of great dining. You can easily walk to the university and to dinner. The rooms are smaller than most luxury chains but not too small to be adequate.

1  Thank McKillip
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear McKillip,

Thank you for your positive review and mention of our team’s commitment to hospitality. We are glad that our location was convenient for your stay and wish that you could have stayed longer, too.

We hope to welcome you back soon and until then, wish you the best in your travels.

Kindest regards,

Hotel Shattuck Plaza | FIVE, a Modern American Bistro
2086 Allston Way | Berkeley, CA 94704

Reviewed February 3, 2013

When possible, I choose historic hotels over chains — and The Shattuck Plaza proves my preference. I had a bit of trouble on check-in because two different rooms they offered came with more HVAC noise than I could handle for four nights — but the staff could not have been more accommodating and patient (I ended up in far more room than I deserved). That first night's experience held true throughout my stay — just a great group of people who really understand service! The location is hard to beat, and the food in the restaurant, bar & from room service was excellent. I wish all of my travel experiences were this pleasant!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the HVAC fans and/or as high as possible. If you can afford it, choose a su...

Dear holdthatplane,

I hope that my response can convey how truly honored we are that you had such a delightful stay with us. To know that we have completely met or exceeded your expectations in all our service encounters is impressive and that our focus on hospitality was on full display.

All the best in your travels and look forward to your return.

Respectfully yours,

Hotel Shattuck Plaza | FIVE, a Modern American Bistro
2086 Allston Way | Berkeley, CA 94704

Reviewed January 25, 2013

The Shattuck Plaza is a very nice, non-chain hotel with a lot of character. As such, expect a few quirks, like the light switch in the bathroom being hidden behind the in-swinging door. Little things like that didn't bother me at all, but you just wouldn't find them at the Hilton or Marriott, since the room layout is down to a science there. What the Shattuck does offer is considerable charm, a friendly and knowledgeable desk staff, a great location (near BART and the campus), and an excellent restaurant. The room was a little small, but certainly large enough for my needs. The exercise room was fine, but as you'd expect, no pool. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again when I have business in Berkeley.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

First the good: A fabulous makeover for this historic hotel and the decor is wonderful. The reception area and bar/restaurant are really pretty, chic and comfortable. We had lunch and breakfast here, both were excellent...one of the best burgers I've had in awhile...YUMMY

My husband and I stayed here for three nights. While our room was a bit on the small side and overlooked the rooftop air conditioners....it was quiet, well appointed and the bed was very comfortable. I always bring my own pillow from home, but a note to pillow snobs...the hotel's pillows were perhaps some of the worst I've ever encountered...prickly, lumpy, as if they stuffed it with whole ducks and called it good!...great for propping oneself up in bed, definitely not for sleeping on!

The hotel is within walking distance to all the great restaurants and so-called Gourmet Ghetto. We were walking to the Cal campus each day for an event and it's just a block away...super convenient. As mentioned, BART is just a few feet out the door...so too are a lot of aggressive panhandlers and street people. That doesn't bother me, but some might find it unpleasant. I just love Berkeley...it feels like 1969 all the time!

Room Tip: I asked upon checkout if any rooms have views... apparently because of the way the hotel is situated...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple