1,541 results
All reviewsbart stationpeace signdowntown berkeleyparking garagestreet noisecounter spacehomeless peopleboutique hoteltwo blockssan franciscochez panissebathroom doordefinitely stay here againcomfortable roomfitness roomlocation was perfectrooms are small
Reviewed February 3, 2013

When possible, I choose historic hotels over chains — and The Shattuck Plaza proves my preference. I had a bit of trouble on check-in because two different rooms they offered came with more HVAC noise than I could handle for four nights — but the staff could not have been more accommodating and patient (I ended up in far more room than I deserved). That first night's experience held true throughout my stay — just a great group of people who really understand service! The location is hard to beat, and the food in the restaurant, bar & from room service was excellent. I wish all of my travel experiences were this pleasant!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the HVAC fans and/or as high as possible. If you can afford it, choose a suite — on sunny days you'll enjoy a view of San Francisco across the bay!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear holdthatplane,

I hope that my response can convey how truly honored we are that you had such a delightful stay with us. To know that we have completely met or exceeded your expectations in all our service encounters is impressive and that our focus on hospitality was on full display.

All the best in your travels and look forward to your return.

Respectfully yours,

Greg

Greg Mauldin | General Manager
Hotel Shattuck Plaza | FIVE, a Modern American Bistro
2086 Allston Way | Berkeley, CA 94704

Reviewed January 25, 2013

The Shattuck Plaza is a very nice, non-chain hotel with a lot of character. As such, expect a few quirks, like the light switch in the bathroom being hidden behind the in-swinging door. Little things like that didn't bother me at all, but you just wouldn't find them at the Hilton or Marriott, since the room layout is down to a science there. What the Shattuck does offer is considerable charm, a friendly and knowledgeable desk staff, a great location (near BART and the campus), and an excellent restaurant. The room was a little small, but certainly large enough for my needs. The exercise room was fine, but as you'd expect, no pool. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again when I have business in Berkeley.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2013

First the good: A fabulous makeover for this historic hotel and the decor is wonderful. The reception area and bar/restaurant are really pretty, chic and comfortable. We had lunch and breakfast here, both were excellent...one of the best burgers I've had in awhile...YUMMY

My husband and I stayed here for three nights. While our room was a bit on the small side and overlooked the rooftop air conditioners....it was quiet, well appointed and the bed was very comfortable. I always bring my own pillow from home, but a note to pillow snobs...the hotel's pillows were perhaps some of the worst I've ever encountered...prickly, lumpy, as if they stuffed it with whole ducks and called it good!...great for propping oneself up in bed, definitely not for sleeping on!

The hotel is within walking distance to all the great restaurants and so-called Gourmet Ghetto. We were walking to the Cal campus each day for an event and it's just a block away...super convenient. As mentioned, BART is just a few feet out the door...so too are a lot of aggressive panhandlers and street people. That doesn't bother me, but some might find it unpleasant. I just love Berkeley...it feels like 1969 all the time!

Room Tip: I asked upon checkout if any rooms have views... apparently because of the way the hotel is situated, only a handful on the 5th floor have good views...FYI.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel is excellent: the rooms, bar, restaurant, and staff are all great. I have stayed twice, once in Jan 2012 and again in Dec 2012. The second time I proposed to my girlfriend during our stay. The staff knew in advance this might happen, and they were very friendly and gave us a beautiful room. Would definitely stay again. It's also walking distance to the Gourmet Ghetto, music venues like Freight & Salvage, and the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) system.

She said "yes" btw!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2013

The staff was very friendly. The location was superb. The room was very clean but a bit small. The toiletries were wonderful. We had a great time and took the BART into SF with ease. We shall return to this hotel.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple