“Quaint hotel in good location”

Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 25, 2013

The Shattuck Plaza is a very nice, non-chain hotel with a lot of character. As such, expect a few quirks, like the light switch in the bathroom being hidden behind the in-swinging door. Little things like that didn't bother me at all, but you just wouldn't find them at the Hilton or Marriott, since the room layout is down to a science there. What the Shattuck does offer is considerable charm, a friendly and knowledgeable desk staff, a great location (near BART and the campus), and an excellent restaurant. The room was a little small, but certainly large enough for my needs. The exercise room was fine, but as you'd expect, no pool. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again when I have business in Berkeley.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Shattuck Plaza

Reviewed January 24, 2013

First the good: A fabulous makeover for this historic hotel and the decor is wonderful. The reception area and bar/restaurant are really pretty, chic and comfortable. We had lunch and breakfast here, both were excellent...one of the best burgers I've had in awhile...YUMMY

My husband and I stayed here for three nights. While our room was a bit on the small side and overlooked the rooftop air conditioners....it was quiet, well appointed and the bed was very comfortable. I always bring my own pillow from home, but a note to pillow snobs...the hotel's pillows were perhaps some of the worst I've ever encountered...prickly, lumpy, as if they stuffed it with whole ducks and called it good!...great for propping oneself up in bed, definitely not for sleeping on!

The hotel is within walking distance to all the great restaurants and so-called Gourmet Ghetto. We were walking to the Cal campus each day for an event and it's just a block away...super convenient. As mentioned, BART is just a few feet out the door...so too are a lot of aggressive panhandlers and street people. That doesn't bother me, but some might find it unpleasant. I just love Berkeley...it feels like 1969 all the time!

Room Tip: I asked upon checkout if any rooms have views... apparently because of the way the hotel is situated...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel is excellent: the rooms, bar, restaurant, and staff are all great. I have stayed twice, once in Jan 2012 and again in Dec 2012. The second time I proposed to my girlfriend during our stay. The staff knew in advance this might happen, and they were very friendly and gave us a beautiful room. Would definitely stay again. It's also walking distance to the Gourmet Ghetto, music venues like Freight & Salvage, and the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) system.

She said "yes" btw!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2013

The staff was very friendly. The location was superb. The room was very clean but a bit small. The toiletries were wonderful. We had a great time and took the BART into SF with ease. We shall return to this hotel.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We chose this hotel because of the convenient location and it truly is conveniently located! After we got off the Bart on a rainy December afternoon, I was dreading a walk longer than five minutes to get to the hotel. When my husband pointed out the hotel after just a minute, I was so relieved!

Check-in went smoothly and because we were staying for five nights, we were upgraded. We're not sure what our original room was like but the upgraded room smelled clean, was a reasonable size, and had a would-have-been-great view if it was sunny. The only problem was that the room wouldn't warm up! We ended up leaving the spare key in the slot so that we could leave the heater on the entire day and evening. In fact, we didn't take that key out during our five nights because our room was never warm enough. Thank goodness for the gowns and warm showers! We thought about switching rooms but we had so much luggage that we didn't want to bother.

We enjoyed the little afternoon snacks they put out in the lobby. We're not sure if this was offered because it was during the holiday season but I thought it was a nice touch. We didn't eat at the restaurant but the espresso we got out for take-out was $6 and not great. I'd recommend getting coffee elsewhere. We got it there because it was Christmas morning and nothing nearby was open. It's walking distance to many cafes, restaurants, pharmacies, movie theaters and shops--super convenient!

The fitness center is the size of a guest room, so not very big. There were three machines and a weight set. This was enough for us but for those looking for something more, you might want to check a bigger hotel.

When we are in Berkeley, we will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator and ice machine. End of the hallway where there are only three...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I love to travel and then actually get the chance to confirm the Trip Advisor ratings. We stayed here because of the good ratings and so glad we did! First off, they have a very friendly & welcoming staff which started everything off on a good note. We were upgraded to a king suite "just because" which was not expected & what a wonderful surprise it was (thank you Julie!). We were given all sorts of good advice by the reception staff (Kingsley/Zachary) from parking, sight seeing, cool restaurants to check out, etc. The room was good sized, very clean and had a beautiful view. Ok so, with all the good things about the hotel, there was one complaint. I've never had this happen before but the WiFi was not available as too many people trying to access it at the same time. This happened twice (night before we left & morning we left). It was truly annoying as we rely on the Internet when traveling. However, I still give this hotel, the staff and everything I've noted a very high rating. Just get the Internet issue solved.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I don't understand why some reviewers complain about the per-room-cost. Good grief! What do they expect? Classic cheapskates who think nothing of paying $100 to fill up their gas-guzzling SUV's, but then complain because they don't a sprawling suite for $145.

First and foremost, the Hotel Shattuck has a "clean feel." Not only does it look clean, but if feels clean. The entire hotel has a light and airy ambience, unlike those old, dark hotels in downtown SF. The room was comfortable, clean, nicely arranged, and had a nice complement of bath-related items. Nothing to complain about.

Second, there is a great bar and dining area. While waiting for my partner to show up, I sat and the bar and ordered a coke. Much to my surprise, the bartender didn't charge me. How refreshing, considering that most hotels charge you just to take a deep breath.

In closing, people lose sight of the fact that the purpose of a hotel room is to have a place to sleep and shower. Who goes on a vacation or business trip to spend the bulk of the time in a hotel room? So, why complain about the cost? Face it, we now live in an economy where $100 is basically pocket change, so why get bent because a hotel room costs $145?

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple