1,540 results
All reviewsbart stationpeace signdowntown berkeleyparking garagestreet noisecounter spacehomeless peopleboutique hoteltwo blockssan franciscochez panissebathroom doordefinitely stay here againcomfortable roomfitness roomlocation was perfectrooms are small
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

This is a great hotel in Berkeley. Near downtown Berkeley. Great accommodations. Friendly staff. Nice, small bar.Would definitely stay here again! We stayed in a very spacious suite. It was a very clean room, with nice, soft linens.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We were only here one night, but I have no complaints. Comfy bed, good location, attractive room. Yes, street people can be a problem, but it's Berkeley. It goes with the territory. The price, the location all worked for our needs.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2012

First off, I chose this hotel from the reviews here at Tripadvisor. I would actually give this hotel a 3 1/2 star, but I do not agree with the 4 star ratings it has been receiving. I think this is a cute hotel, nicely appointed, however, the room I was in, was not a 4 star room. Since I didn't eat at the hotel or use any of the other amenities, I can not review those.

I will start with what I liked; we were in room 252, deluxe king room.

Pros: The location of this hotel is it's strength in my opinion. It really is across the street from the BART station and good choices of eateries within close walking distance, all of which was the reason I chose to stay here. The college is also just up the road. The room was nicely appointed, comfortable bed, pillows and bed linens, and clean.

This is a very small boutique hotel. This was not an issue for me, but there is no real reception area and it did fill up quickly while we checked in and there was no room to just wait in the area to be assisted. Elevators were pretty small and took a while.

Cons: We booked at the last minute so I got the rack rate of $195 plus tax for the deluxe king room #252.
--My biggest complaint is, that our room was on the second floor, view of large HVAC units and I felt the vibration of the unit during the night, it actually woke me. I have attached pictures. The room is also extremely small. Since it was just my husband & I, and we were only staying a few nights, we could live with it and I didn't want to bother with changing rooms. I feel that this hotel needs to offer these rooms at a discounted rate, as obstructed view, NOT at the $195/night. This is overpriced for this size and type of room.

--The room did not have any complimentary water or any for purchase either. This for me is a big deal for me, I am a water drinker and if I can get that at a Hilton Garden Inn, I expect it from a hotel rated 4 stars. No mini bar either, not a big deal for me, but others may think so.

--There is also no in room safe, which surprised me. There was only one end table, so I had to put my water on the floor or on the tiny table where the coffee machine was.

--The bathroom did not have a vanity area, which made it a challenge to keep our toiletries in the bathroom. Again, not that big of a deal for us since there for a short stay, but if a prolonged stay it would get annoying.

--The coffee maker was a nice touch, however, our cups were not restocked, so I was unable to use it the next morning when checking out early with a long drive to airport.

Overall, I did think the hotel offered nice touches, and that is why I would give it the extra half star. The staff was tied up when we went downstairs after arriving to ask for a suggestion for a drink and light snack, however, the bellman was very helpful and offered a suggestion just across the street. The checkout was also quick, no line since we were leaving early and the young lady called a cab quickly for our departure.

I would recommend the hotel, but highly urge you to get a higher floor room, although, at a higher price tag. I strongly suggest to the management to review their pricing for these lower floor rooms.

Room Tip: Higher floor for sure, get up above the second floor to avoid seeing & feeling HVAC!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was our second visit, both times were just for one night while attending a local concert.

Pros: The location is perfect for anything in Berkeley. The rooms are not huge, but certainly fine for one night. We had a room for two with a king sized bed that was very comfortable with nice linens. The amenities were really nice. The Keurig coffee system is appreciated as are the bathroom toiletries and the robe (1) and all the up-to-date outlets for electronics. The staff are all very nice and the hotel is very clean. We also like the fact that you can open the windows and adjust the room temperature. The parking is right across the street ($10.00 for overnight) and very convenient.

Cons: There isn't any place to put your toiletries in the bathroom. I suggested in my comments to the hotel, that they add a shelf because there is plenty of room. It would be really helpful especially since the rooms are on the small side. Personally, I like a mini fridge and there isn't one, but it's not a deal breaker, just a notation.

All, in all, I am glad this hotel is here and will stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This hotel made up in hospitality and charm from employees what it lacked in not having valet parking. We had a superior king room and it was GREAT! 5th floor. The gym was not crowded so I was able to get my 45 min run in daily.

Mike and Kingsly at front desk area were sooo helpful. Kingsly suggest a place, an Italian bakery in AM that had amazing coffee and savory breakfast pizza. Mike actually came with us to Bart to show us how to buy tickets to get around and to help us with an iPhone app for iBart. They were GREAT.

This hotel was well managed as the employees had personality with Hospitality their priority. Other hotels should take notice....we will stay here again.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple