1,540 results
All reviewsbart stationpeace signdowntown berkeleyparking garagestreet noisecounter spacehomeless peopleboutique hoteltwo blockssan franciscochez panissebathroom doordefinitely stay here againcomfortable roomfitness roomlocation was perfectrooms are small
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza for a week's work on the Berkeley campus. Overall, the hotel is great. It's a smaller boutique hotel, well designed and decorated. The rooms are comfortable and clean, the beds are comfortable, and the hotel wifi is free and works reasonably well.

The one downside to my stay was the service in the restaurant and bar area. I ate or drank in hotel restaurant/bar at various points during my stay (breakfast, happy hour, and late night) and each time the service was horrendous. It took forever for servers / bartenders to take my order and they never returned for coffee refills or for second rounds. I had some work meetings over drinks and the poor service was distracting. While overall the stay was great, I would not recommend eating or drinking in the hotel bar.

Room Tip: At the moment, there's a big construction project across the street from the hotel's front entrance. Might want to ask for a room on the other side of the hotel.
Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2012

Thank you for your recent review. We are glad to know that you generally enjoyed your stay with us. We are concerned about the service you received in our restaurant. This is important feedback and has been shared with our food and beverage team. We recently hired our new Director of F&B and he has begun to address our service through refresher training and additional management coverage on the floor. We do hope that you will give FIVE another try so please do not hesitate to contact me should you return to the area.

An update on the construction work across the street, It is our understanding that most major work will be completed in May.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

I love Hotel Shattuck for its location (right next to the BART station, on a street of amazing restaurants) and its ambiance. As is to be expected, the hotel food is quite pricy but the restaurant atmosphere is buzzing and very pleasant. The room was lovely and large with a view down to the bustling street, and the bathroom came with a bathtub (although the glass door to the bathroom was a bit disconcerting!). For those who don't mind paying a little more for a hotel, it is a pleasant, luxurious experience, and good value for the price you do pay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bathtub.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank lennie01
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I absolutely adore this hotel. Centrally located, clean and updated, beautiful rooms with wonderful features and amenities. The updated modern interior does not take away from this historical building. I love the marble bathroom tiles, high ceilings, corner rooms with 5 windows, wonderful views of San Francisco, etc. The restaurant food at Five is delicious. I've eaten here for breakfast and dinner. The Shattuck is within walking distance to campus and shops and restaurants. The staff are very helpful and accomodating. Overall, this place is fantastic. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room on a higher floor for lots of light and a view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank kemcdona1
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our 2-night stay at the Shattuck Plaza. The renovation of this historic hotel combines the bones of a great old building with modern, whimsical, and thoughtful touches, from "green" electrical switches to the well-appointed bathroom to high ceilings which give the lobby and dining area and individual rooms a sense of space. (Even the stairwell next to the elevator is well-designed, with a thick royal blue carpet and linen roman shades on the wide windows.)
Every staff member was friendly and smart, especially Sheila, who took the time to give us detailed instructions on taking the BART (the station is located right outside the hotel door) into San Francisco.
The hotel is just a few blocks away from UC Berkeley, and therefore on Friday and Saturday nights we heard a lot of campus boisterousness until the wee hours -- next time we will request a quieter side of the hotel if possible. The fitness room is a bit cramped and could use some yoga mats. Aside from these two minor things, we enjoyed every aspect of our stay. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LakelandMom
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Although there are very few hotel options in Berkeley, do NOT stay here! I had the worst hotel experience of my life at the Hotel Shattuck, and I travel and stay in hotels for a living. The line for checking in took much longer than needed. There were only 2 people in front of me and there were 2 staff members checking guests in. I waited about 30 minutes until I was helped. Thinking that they were just trying to be good hosts, I didn't mind the wait. It wasn't until I was checking in that I realized that they are completely incompetent and rude, tossing my room keys at me. You need a room key to access the elevator as well as your room. When I went to the elevator and swiped my room key for access to the 5th floor it did not work. I tried using the other key I was given and that was rejected as well. I went back to the front desk to explain the situation. They started rolling their eyes and accusing me of inserting the keys into the elevator incorrectly. It wasn't until they tried the keys themselves that they apologized and give me new keys, which also did NOT work! I asked to be moved to a different room, but instead, they decided to just have a manager give me access to the room they had on file for me. Which is nice said in done, but I still didn't have a key to enter my room! When I finally got into my room I found stains on the towels and bathrobe! I was beyond disgusted! I went back down to the front desk and asked them once again to move me to another room. Instead they just had someone switch out the linens, instead of honoring my request. Then they finally gave me a room key that worked for that room. However, when I returned from dinner that night, the key once again FAILED to give me access to my room! I had to go downstairs for a 5th time to get a new key that would work! There was no apology or compensation whatsoever for the hoops I had to jump through, even when I checked out the next morning and explained my situation to the manger. All I received was a dirty room and rude service! DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank SEM419
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2012

Thank you for your feedback, however we regret that your first review was not as positive as many of the others we generally receive. We are looking into the feedback as it is not indicative of the service we provide. As of now, we are reviewing with our team that if a guest experiences such a stay and requests a room move, we should always accommodate when possible. While our team members are empowered to resolve guest concerns, as General Manager, I welcome the opportunity to hear when a guest does not feel that we are meeting their expectations so that we may find a way to provide a satisfying stay.