1,541 results
All reviewsbart stationpeace signdowntown berkeleyparking garagestreet noisecounter spacehomeless peopleboutique hoteltwo blockssan franciscochez panissebathroom doordefinitely stay here againcomfortable roomfitness roomlocation was perfectrooms are small
Reviewed March 21, 2011

I would rate this hotel an excellent choice for Berkeley. It is practically across the street from the downtown Berkeley BART station and just two blocks from campus. The hotel itself has been beautifully renovated, preserving the historic feel but with all modern conveniences. The rooms are comfortable, spacious and well-appointed; the lobby and bar areas are very pleasant; and the staff is friendly and accommodating.

Reviewed March 18, 2011

An average hotel, with mediocre service. The main reason for staying here is its proximity to UC Berkeley for a conference. The bar has $5 happy hour drinks which is nice, but apart from that, nothing spectacular for the price. The Shattuck area is rather dodgy, which is not unlike most urban neighborhoods with a subway station (in this case, a BART station).

The up side is that you have access to BART (3 min walk) which actually takes you to SFO or Oakland airport for less than $10. Not a bad idea, in my view, as taking a cab would subject you to traffic that could get pretty bad; the BART is at least punctual and comfortable.

The room is pretty small (i had a kingsize bed room) and the bathroom is just okay. I stayed for two nights and housekeeping did not even make my bed the second day (nor change towels or toiletries etc.). They simply "forgot about it". Or as the manager responded, when asked, they "didn't know why that happened". Pretty terrible, but since I got back late that night, I just has to let it go. No housekeeping at that hour as you can imagine, and so I had to ask for towels etc, and live with an "un-made" bed.

Free wifi (or wired via LAN) in the room. Cable TV with plenty of channels. Sort of standard for hotels in CA. Again, I mainly hung out at the bar and didn't had the time to try other facilities so no comments there.

I booked the hotel via hotelclubs.com and got a pretty decent deal. Otherwise, I won't recommend this, at least not highly enough if one has other options. If you have to be close to UC Berkeley like I was, there's another one further away from BART, I think.

1  Thank cachecacher
HotelShattuckPlaza, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2011

Thank you for your review of our hotel and location. We are in the center of Berkeley, adjacent to BART trains, a very convenient 22 minute commute to San Francisco.
Yes we are a University town and a vibrant city neighborhood. The area is as safe as one would expect from most bay area cities. We even have volunteer street ambassadors who provide assistance.
The best rates can be found on our website or by calling the hotel, look for the promotional rate "Best Rate Guarantee" it matches online rates, and provides greater booking flexibility than some sites.
Our rooms are historic and do vary in size. Larger rooms can be found in the " City Scape " room category, which have views toward the bay.

Best regards,

Reviewed March 17, 2011

I stayed at the Shattuck Plaza for more than a week in February 2011. Because my friend joined me, I switched rooms in mid-stay. Both rooms were freshly and beautifully decorated with comfortable beds/pillows, new bathrooms. One room had a view of the Golden Gate Bridge. While downtown Berkeley is a little rundown in spots, the hotel is very conveniently located for whatever you might need to do: a garage across the street, BART at the corner, many restaurants, shops and the university within walking distance. The staff was attentive and most efficient. The hotel is small enough to offer personalized, friendly service.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 16, 2011

Great service, clean, friendly. Walking distance to food & shops. Loved the history, the remodel. Also close to Oakland and San Francisco, just minutes away. I did not eat there, but the menu and breakfast buffet on Sunday looked inviting. I was alone, yet I felt safe with security measures the hotel took regarding elevator and doors with hotel key/card. Felt safe walking in town with so many pedestrians, many students from Berkeley. Was impressed that the front desk answered my room call by my name, just a small detail that impressed me. Only reason I scored 4 out of 5 stars is because of the PARKING! $25 valet parking and meters, drove around 4 times, had to pay meter just to check in and unload luggage. Parking Garage $5, then not open until 8am had to park on street, fortunately, no meter after 6pm and no meter on Sunday.

Reviewed March 10, 2011

Both the service and the accomodation were very good. The style of the hotel is very fresh and yet sophisticated. I was here just one night and the location is perfect for doing business at the university..