“Comfy Beds”

Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Los Angeles, United States
“Comfy Beds”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

The most comfortable beds we can remember. The last time was years ago in Vienna Austria. The location is perfect for visiting family and with our dogs. Very important to have our dogs with us without a problem.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Unfortunately, I am now only rating this property as 2 stars because it appears general maintenance has been slipping lately. For example, when I stayed here before the ice machine on the 3rd floor was out of order. OK. I came back to stay 2 months later and the same ice machine was STILL out of order. I expect more from a big hotel chain. Also, it looks like all the carpets could use a good steam cleaning or maybe even replacement, especially the stairwell carpets. If you look at the carpet along the wall it looks decent but down the center where there is traffic it is rather dingy. The automated light switch in the bathroom to save energy would shut off the light when I was taking a shower and left me in the dark. It even did that when I was on the toilet. I had to contact maintenance to replace the light switch.

The WiFi was VERY slow. How slow? Well, I performed 13 broadband speed tests and the average download speed was 0.38 Mbps with average latency time of 968 ms. According to the FCC in 2012 the average subscribed speed in homes was 15.6 Mbps, about 41 times faster. I’m not sure what kind of service level agreement the hotel has with the WiFi provider but it must not be much. Time to find a new provider.

Anyway, if you can handle things like above then it is an OK place to stay because of the location.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Miki K

Travelers are raving about these Berkeley hotels

San Jose, California
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Perhaps it has new management, but when I first stayed here in November of 2013 I found the staff to be friendly and efficient and the room, though nothing special, was clean and well appointed.

I stayed again in January of 2014 and it didn't have quite the same feel as my first visit. The staff was no longer friendly and most certainly not efficient. They had messed up my reservation and although it got straightened out, I received no apology and an abundance of excuses for their inefficiency. Fine—mistakes happen, and the room was clean. I could have used and extra blanket, and as there wasn't one in the room, I doubled up the blanket on the king sized bed and saved myself from having to wait for an extra to be sent up.

I stayed again last week and now not only was the receptionist curt and unsmiling, the room was filthy. I only sat on the chairs if I had one of the only 2 towels provided between me and the upholstery. The desk chair had old food ground into it and strands of hair hanging on it. The bathroom floor was sticky as was the toilet handle. In addition, the ice machine on the 3rd floor was broken and the elevator only worked some of the time. Since the bed linens seemed clean, I stayed the 4 nights I'd booked. That was, however, the last they'll see of me.

I have another trip to Berkeley planned for this summer and have booked a different hotel. Not as convenient to my location, but I'm optimistic that I wont have to clean my own bathroom.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank CateTh
Camarillo, United States
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Way too loud, couldn't sleep and very shabby. Needs better maintenance and lots of updating to the rooms. Nice people working there, very nice and helpful. Unfortunately, the rooms are not even average. Shower was low flow to save water, but, water pours out of bath spout instead. Poor maintenance. Location is ok

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank Cassandra B
Toulouse, France
Reviewed April 19, 2014

This is convenient for a business stay provided that you have a car. Not far from downtown Berkeley and University (about 10 mn). Very close to the highway access. Wifi is good. The breakfast is basic but convenient. The outdoor pool is small but very nice.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Laramie, Wyoming
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I'm pretty sure my bathroom wasn't cleaned for the three days I stayed as there was an item on the floor from the moment I checked in until I checked out. Walls are really thin and apparently this is the hotel where men go to argue with their wives over the phone. I heard every word of several conversations.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank LMac716
Goodyear
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I booked two of my business travelers in this hotel last week. They just told me that the front desk gave one of them keys to an occupied room. The female occupant was in the shower when my client walked in. The occupant was very shaken up. What a frightening thing to happen! The least they could have done is give them both a free night's stay for this HUGE lack of attention to detail. They offered nothing. Also, it seemed like people were living there as there were a lot of dogs around and the hallways smelled of many unidentified horrible odors. There was a distinct aroma of marijuana in the hallways as well. It was very noisy at night from the other hotel guests. They also reported that half of the lights in the rooms did not work.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business