“Lots of hassles” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Riverbank, California
“Lots of hassles”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

My husband and I booked and prepaid for a two nights stay but then when we checked in they charged us again for the two nights. We had to go back down to the front desk to get those charges removed. Then the next day we were resting in the room when housekeeping started harassing us to check out; we told them we had one more night. Then the front desk called to tell us to check out; we reminded them we had one more night. So we went down to the front desk to get it fixed. They apologized and told us they lost our second nights reservation and booked the room. They told us we could stay but we were so fed up by then we just wanted to leave. A few days after we got home we noticed they charged us again for the one night. So now we have that mess to try to get fixed. This was supposed to be a romantic stress-free get away.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

Where do i begin, im finally in my room after over a hour at check in, while with a 5 year old at that.

First, we booked with hotels.com book now pay later feature. We called the hotel to make sure there wasnt a incidental charge and that we would NOT have to pay until we checked out. This is how we set up our funds, plus we have more cash being deposited in the middle of our stay so we decided we would just go down and pay early.

The night before we called and spoke with a guy to confirm what was said at the time of booking. We were told complete opposite, that the hotels policy was to hold the entire amount of the room on.our card...well duh we could have just prepaid. Then i told him we spoke with another lady and she said we didnt have to pay until check out. The guy apologized and said they would honor that and he would leave a note for when we check in we are all set.

We show up to find out the guy lied, and left a note that had nothing to do with what was discussed and they wanted the money up front. We spoke with a manager and she acted as if she did not care, nor cared that her employees are incompetent. We finally get someones who cares, and helped us out with extra discounts at that.

We then get a room to find one towel for a double room...had to track down four different people to finally recieve towels, but of course there are housekeeping carts on every floor and nobody has towels.

First night here...im not coming back POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. Which is sad because we are airline employees and travel alot. Wont be back. Room subpar

• Stayed February 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Berkeley hotels

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

Clean room, comfy bed, I have no complaints. There was a mini fridge in my room, which I appreciated. I was surprised by a hot breakfast of scrambled eggs, potatoes and sausages and not just the usual La Quinta breakfast of waffles and bread. There was an exercise room and pool I did not use. The business center was handy for printing out my boarding pass. I stayed on points, so it was a great deal for me.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

I have stayed at this property about 2 dozen times over the last few years. I find the location to be convenient to freeway access and close to the activities I enjoy in the area. It is a decent value during non-peak season. The property is very old but generally clean and adequately maintained. I considerate it to be a midrange property, nothing fancy or elegant. Although the property is now 100% non-smoking I always sense a musty odor thoughout the whole building and rooms that causes my nose to start plugging up. The first thing I do after checking in the room is open the window and leave it open the entire time during my stay. Sometimes I have difficulty breathing at night because of the musty odor so I turn on the bathroom fan/light to pull in a little more fresh air from outside. Unfortunately, the bathroom fan is on a motion detector so it shuts of after about 20 minutes if you are not in there.

A few other things: The breakfast is more than adequate. So far I have not had any problem with parking my car. The beds tend to sag and not provide much back support. The elevator is old and EXTREMELY slow for only 3 floors. Unless you have heavy luggage or something with wheels you can save a lot of time just using the stairs. There are only 2 luggage carts available but there should be at least 3 or 4. Especially during check out time both luggage carts are nowhere to be found - very frustrating when you need to leave. The place can be pretty noisy from inconsiderate guests stomping their feet when they walk, letting doors slam, loud conversations in the hallway or after getting out of their car when arriving late. Also, this property is located just a few blocks from a very busy train line. The line is used by cargo and Amtrack trains. Apparently, the trains are required to blow their horn at every train crossing and there are several of them nearby. So you will likely hear train horns day and night.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Miki K
Pleasanton, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Pros: The room was clean, comfortable, and it felt like a very safe place to stay the night. No complaints of the room at all.

Cons: First night at 3am we receive a call on our hotel phone. By the time my boyfriend and I wake up enough to realize what the ringing was the phone had stopped. As we get ready to go back to sleep there's a very loud, urgent sounding knock on the door. My first though was our car had been broken into. My boyfriend looks through the peephole and saw what looked to be a male employee. I told him not to answer and we'd call the front desk. Apparently the same man answers (this was a few minutes later) and says he knocked because we forgot to sign some registration papers at check in. Ok, I understand that might be important. But 3am important? No. So the next morning I go downstairs and explain what happened to a female employee who said everything was properly filled out and he had no idea why he would have bothered us that late.

Other than that, this hotel is very loud. I heard people walking around, slamming doors, weird tapping and banging noises all night. Upstairs, next door, down the hall, you name it and it sounded like someone was pacing around and kicking the walls every so often. My boyfriend and I are typically very deep sleepers and we've stayed at some crappy places with loud neighbors but this was by far the worst we've experienced noise wise. After two nights of barely sleeping we were excited to check out.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple