Lowest prices for your stay
$139
View deal
Reserve now, pay at stay
$139
FindHotel
$137
Free cancellation until 08/28/22
Wyndham$139
Hotels.com$139
ZenHotels.com$145
All reviews hot breakfast busy street yogurt beds were comfortable san francisco freeway refrigerator
Sort and selected filters
Sort Filter
Reviewed August 17, 2008

I booked a nonsmoking room via an online service two months ahead of our stay.. I clearly stated the health reason for a nonsmoking room. When we got there we were told they had no nonsmoking rooms and no one had bothered to record that request. The incompetet clerk behind the desk suggested that he could give us a room that accomodated three people when we have a party of four. Then he mumbled something that made no sense and sent the janitor to check another room. We took the smoking room because we had no choice. Management was no where to be found because it was a weekend. The next morning another incompetet employee called for someone else who had requested a wake up call. This employee apologized and hung up before I could request management. Upon check out I complained to an apathetic clerk who told me management would not be in until afternoon. BOOK ELSEWHERE, THE STAFF
IS TOO INCOMPETET TO BELIEVE.

Reviewed August 14, 2008

It was cheap so we didn't expect much - there isn't much choice in Berkeley so we ended up here and were pleasantly surprise. It was OK - furnishings weren't great although the lobby is fairly sunny.

The major problem is the location - a mile away from the main campus and centre with shops and restaurants.

Other than that there weren't any complaints - the room had an iron and a hairdryer and the beds were comfortable. The free breakfast was a bonus and a fairly good selection. It even has a pool and a very small gym.

For the money we paid, it was probably better than other options in Berkeley, so I'd go back.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2008

My family and I stay at La Quinta Inn hotel for 7 days June 30, 2008 - Aug 5 2008 for our family reunion, in this time the elevator was stuck several times, with my family members including my self. I had to use the steps for seven straight days, this was horrible when you have to pay for a room nightly and then expect us to use your steps to the third floor. Management, refused to fix the elevator as I was personally lock in the elevator for several minutes and then taken down to basement to another lock door, where it took management 15 min to get us out. I reported to management, who was on duty at that time 7:00pm Wed July 30, 2008, and he did not do any thing. According to manager this elevator only can hold thee people, which they should have a post I will never recommend this place or any La Quinta Inn to accommodate my family in my future vacation.
We was charged full price for our stay at this hotel, which I consider a low price motel.

Date of stay: July 2008
Reviewed August 10, 2008

I stayed for one night with a friend.
The place is in the Berkeley urban area, 5 min drive from the centre.
Everything I expected worked: a quiet clean room, decent internet connection (didn't work on the cell phone, though), good breakfast.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed June 22, 2008

I stayed here for six nights while visiting my daughter, a Cal alum who still lives in the area to help plan her wedding this fall. I had stayed here before years ago and, to put it lightly, agree with the other reviews I have read. But, that was several years ago. Times have changed, and so has the management. I was skeptical when my daughter recommended I stay here because of my past experiences, but since she wanted to use it for our out-of-town guests, I knew I needed to stay here to make sure it was up to my standards.

The hotel is flourishing. Guestrooms are renovated with comfortable beds, and attractive decor. The hotel has air conditioning, which was great since there was a heat wave this week, and the temperature was over 90 degrees for a couple of days. I think most of the hotels in Berkeley don't have AC, so that was a definite plus (any other city, you would expect the hotels would have AC, but that doesn't seem to be the case in Berkeley). There is also a guest laundry facility and an attractive outdoor pool and patio area that is actually used.

I think the big difference here from before is the manager. We spoke with him about the changes in the hotel, and he seemed very excited about the progress over the last year. He said that there is still work to be done and room to grow. This has become a solid property now that it has changed ownership to La Quinta. La Quinta isn't a Marriott or the Four Seasons, but for Berkeley and for the rate, you really get a good deal.

My room had two beds with a microwave and a fridge. The rate included parking, (unheard of in Berkeley!), free wireless internet plus a business center with a computer for free, and free breakfast, which had this really neat make-your-own waffle station, with fresh batter. There is also free hairdryers and full sized ironing boards. The hotel is a couple of miles west of campus. While the hotels near campus are convenient to the dorms and fraternities, this hotel is still close enough that you don't feel far away. There is also a security guard, and I felt very safe here.

I not only blocked the rooms here for our guests, we decided to use some of the event space for a rehearsal dinner BBQ as well. On another note, the conference rooms have been in use every day since I have been here, so something must be going right. Businesses don't book conferences in shabby motels.

The Cons:
-The toilet flushed slowly (but never clogged)
-No pay-per-view (4 free HBO channels, however. There are about 40 channels total)
-Only 1 elevator that I saw, and it is pretty small
-The receptionist staff gave me wrong directions to the post office

Date of stay: June 2008