“Elevator get stuck several times with customer over seven day stay”

La Quinta Inn Berkeley
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Atlanta
“Elevator get stuck several times with customer over seven day stay”
Reviewed August 13, 2008

My family and I stay at La Quinta Inn hotel for 7 days June 30, 2008 - Aug 5 2008 for our family reunion, in this time the elevator was stuck several times, with my family members including my self. I had to use the steps for seven straight days, this was horrible when you have to pay for a room nightly and then expect us to use your steps to the third floor. Management, refused to fix the elevator as I was personally lock in the elevator for several minutes and then taken down to basement to another lock door, where it took management 15 min to get us out. I reported to management, who was on duty at that time 7:00pm Wed July 30, 2008, and he did not do any thing. According to manager this elevator only can hold thee people, which they should have a post I will never recommend this place or any La Quinta Inn to accommodate my family in my future vacation.
We was charged full price for our stay at this hotel, which I consider a low price motel.

• Liked — Housekeeping
  • Disliked — Management staff and Elevator
  • Stayed July 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Utrecht
Reviewed August 10, 2008

I stayed for one night with a friend.
The place is in the Berkeley urban area, 5 min drive from the centre.
Everything I expected worked: a quiet clean room, decent internet connection (didn't work on the cell phone, though), good breakfast.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed June 22, 2008

I stayed here for six nights while visiting my daughter, a Cal alum who still lives in the area to help plan her wedding this fall. I had stayed here before years ago and, to put it lightly, agree with the other reviews I have read. But, that was several years ago. Times have changed, and so has the management. I was skeptical when my daughter recommended I stay here because of my past experiences, but since she wanted to use it for our out-of-town guests, I knew I needed to stay here to make sure it was up to my standards.

The hotel is flourishing. Guestrooms are renovated with comfortable beds, and attractive decor. The hotel has air conditioning, which was great since there was a heat wave this week, and the temperature was over 90 degrees for a couple of days. I think most of the hotels in Berkeley don't have AC, so that was a definite plus (any other city, you would expect the hotels would have AC, but that doesn't seem to be the case in Berkeley). There is also a guest laundry facility and an attractive outdoor pool and patio area that is actually used.

I think the big difference here from before is the manager. We spoke with him about the changes in the hotel, and he seemed very excited about the progress over the last year. He said that there is still work to be done and room to grow. This has become a solid property now that it has changed ownership to La Quinta. La Quinta isn't a Marriott or the Four Seasons, but for Berkeley and for the rate, you really get a good deal.

My room had two beds with a microwave and a fridge. The rate included parking, (unheard of in Berkeley!), free wireless internet plus a business center with a computer for free, and free breakfast, which had this really neat make-your-own waffle station, with fresh batter. There is also free hairdryers and full sized ironing boards. The hotel is a couple of miles west of campus. While the hotels near campus are convenient to the dorms and fraternities, this hotel is still close enough that you don't feel far away. There is also a security guard, and I felt very safe here.

I not only blocked the rooms here for our guests, we decided to use some of the event space for a rehearsal dinner BBQ as well. On another note, the conference rooms have been in use every day since I have been here, so something must be going right. Businesses don't book conferences in shabby motels.

The Cons:
-The toilet flushed slowly (but never clogged)
-No pay-per-view (4 free HBO channels, however. There are about 40 channels total)
-Only 1 elevator that I saw, and it is pretty small
-The receptionist staff gave me wrong directions to the post office

• Liked — New Management, AC, Free Parking, Great Deal for Berkeley
  • Disliked — The light in the bathroom is also a fan. I like a second switch so I can turn it off while I read in the bathtub.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Travel_Agent_Cal_Mom
Oregon
Reviewed June 19, 2008

I have had occassion to stay in Berkeley on several occassions as my brother lives close by. The first time we stayed at the Golden Bear- the place could bearly pass inspection, and was completely worn out. We decided to try LaQuinta. It has been freshly painted, and looked newly referbished. The loby was absolutely beautiful. Our room was comfortable, the key lock was modern, we had air conditioning and cable TV, with free breakfast of both hot and cold selections and a swimming pool to use. We had a room that was facing University Ave. and the traffic didn't bother us a bit. The tiny balcony was a lovely spot to look out and get fresh air, and the curtains were well insulated to keep the room dark and block out noise.

It was a completely acceptable choice at a reasonable price as compared to the Golden Bear!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank lsdfnailwhe
travelich
Reviewed May 12, 2008

We had an ok time at first since every other hotel in Berkeley was a bigger rat hole than the La Quinta. I should have settled for rats since you can't bring rats home.

Our room had BED BUGS... I should have known when I saw a small brown dot on the white sheets. I dismissed it since it was only one.. and didn't get a bite on me until the last day... again I dismissed it thinking it was just a mosquito because of the standing water from the rain.

Little did I know that one of the bed bug bastards would crawl into my suitcase and/or my boyfriend's suit case and bring them home with us. So.. hotel bills, plus $300 bucks, and three days of hard labor trying to exterminate them later .. I sit here and tell you... DO NOT STAY HERE!!! Genital warts are probably easier to deal with than bed bugs and just as contagious.

• Liked — Proximity to UC Berkeley
  • Disliked — BED BUGS!!!!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank travelich

Travelers are raving about these Berkeley hotels

los angeles
Reviewed December 20, 2007

I had to use up a one night comp for La Quinta and I just happened to be in the bay area so I thought I would give this a try. I wasn't expecting much from reading the reviews here. The place seems to have been renovated. Everything in the room worked properly - tv, refrigerator, microwave, shower, plumbing. The high speed internet service was fast and efficient. The mattress was not very firm but it was fine. The door squaked. The breakfast was a pleasant surprise. Orange juice, pastries, bagels and cream cheese, some kind of egg pancake. There was a man sitting on a sofa in the hallway of the 2nd floor. He was dressed in a suit and had luggage with him. He was there all day and night - perhaps waiting for a bus or maybe a homeless person - very strange.

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank 1518
jacksonville
Reviewed August 25, 2007

i booked the hotel through hotels.com, it was the best western inn when i started this adventure when i call to confirmed reservations they couln't find them at first finally they did. they had us in a non-smoking room where i requested smoking. when we arrive at the hotel again they had us in a non-smoking room. but they did change it. but no fridge in room. we were there for two nights and then coming back on sunday to check back in. before we left on thursday we asked if they could get a fridge in our room because we would be there for four more days. they said no problem. we arrived back on sunday and checked back in ,no fridge liked promised. i asked to see the manager, he was off they said they would leave a note for the manager, but we never heard from him or even saw him. and only 13 channels thats really sad. we had to stay at another hotel because we got back in town to early sat. but where we stayed had many tv channels and it was a cheap hotel. i believe they were discriminating against people who smoke. i will never recommend this hotel to anyone...

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — staff did not help or care what i wanted
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple