“AVOID this place - gouged and disappointed at every turn”

DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“AVOID this place - gouged and disappointed at every turn”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The hotel is located on a pile of construction debris that was dumped on the Berkeley shoreline sometime in the mid-20th century. Yes, that's right, this Hilton is on located on an old dump.
The service in the restaurant is slow, disinterested, forgetful. Drove us crazy at three different meals. Especially avoid anytime between 10:30 and 12noon when they are switching over from the breakfast buffet to lunch and you will be studiously ignored by a whole hive of staff busy moving tables, clearing dishes, looking out the window or at their watches -- anything but keeping track of the tables with people actually at them.
The generic-style tourist menu in the restaurant is an insult (considering all the fantastic food available in Berkeley, cheap and expensive).
The booze in the bar and for our "event" cash bar was OUTRAGEOUSLY overpriced -- $9 per glass for run of the mill wine that probably cost the hotel $1.99 a bottle.
Worst of all, they have many loopholes and special rules to trick people out of getting the 'conference rate' for events at the hotel. I was overcharged $60 per day because I couldn't get through on the phone and booked online at the main Doubletree website. I WAS OVERCHARGED $60 PER DAY (and they admitted it to me on the phone later) because their phone line was perpetually ringing and not answered. The 'conference rate' for rooms was only available if one phoned in or clicked a link in an obscure, ungoogle-able website page that refused to load--which is what drove me to their main website. Do you see how they operate?
If you stay here -- PHONE and get the name of the manager and have him send you a handwritten and signed note explaining exactly how much you will be billed for -- or be prepared to pay whatever they demand once you arrive. Within 7 days of one's event it's too late, they won't change the rate anymore and you will have the choice of paying the bloated room rate or sleeping in your rental car in the parking lot.
This is how Paris Hilton makes her millions.

1 Thank Susan N
Stephanie B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Susan N~

Thank you for posting your first review on Trip Advisor regarding your experiences with our hotel...while the hotel is located on landfill, you have incorrect information regarding the "city dump". This is Ceasar Chavez Park which is located next to our hotel.

I sincerely apogize that you did not understand the booking process for the group rate and meeting you were attending. There was a signed contract with "cut off" dates for booking rooms that were secured at the group rate. If this "cut-off" date is not met, and you book after the contractual date the rate is no longer available. Based on my research, this is what appears occurred. The typical "cut-off" date for booking rooms affiliated with a group is 21 days in advance.

Please know that Paris Hilton and the Hilton Family do not own Hilton Worldwide....the company is owned by Blackstone - there is no family involvement.

I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you regarding your stay. Please feel free to contact me at 510.665.7126.

Fondly -

stephanie.bauer@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
bakersfield, United States
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay. The motel is comfortable, has two indoor swimming pools that over look the back bay. It's location makes it easy to access the freeway. There are plenty of areas to walk and explore the water front. Also, it's located close to a great fish restaurant and Betty's diner for breakfast. This is our third stay and are hoping to return again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Marilyn W
Stephanie B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Marilyn W~~

Thank you very much for posting your review on Trip Advisor! I am delighted to read that this was your third stay at our hotel and how much you enjoyed your stay.

The location of the hotel is fantastic for the view and walking trails as well!

We can't wait to welcome you back! If I can be of assistance for your future stays, please let me know!

All the best -

Iowa City, Ia
Reviewed October 8, 2013

It was a great place for the annual meeting--peaceful (surrounded by state parks and the bay), spacious, had everything I needed as well as easy access to Berkeley by going east on the avenue on which the hotel is located.

Greetings Robert B~~

Thank you for your "awesome" review you posted on Trip Advisor! I am delighted that you enjoyed your meeting and stay.

We know you have many choices for hotels in Berkeley and we are happy you chose us!

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed there 7 days for a convention. The view over the city is breathtaking from the Marina on a clear day, but not all the rooms have a balcony on the Marina. Location is not so convenient if you do not drive a car and want to visit Berkeley (especially the very nice parks where to hike in the Northern hills). San Francisco is actually easy to access thanks to the Bart and the shuttle service of the hotel to the Bart station works well. My room was very clean but the place would need some refreshment. Note that there is no safe, neither a minibar (then no refrigerator) in the room. Globally, the service is nice, but the hotel has no special charm and looks a little bit like any hotel you would find close to an airport.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Y_ok_25 ~~

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor regarding your seven day stay at our hotel.

It is great to know that you enjoyed our complimentary shuttle service to BART so you could make your way into San Francisco.

Please know that the hotel will undergo additional renovation.

We hope your travel plans bring you back to Berkeley!!
All the best -

Keller, United States
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Enjoyable small hotel at the Marina in Berkeley CA. The hotel has a nice courtyard to lounge in and a walking path. I did not understand the odd pool/jacuzzi setup. The entire staff was extremely polite; including the registration, room service, restaurant, shuttle and Starbucks. The rooms are nothing special, average. I recommend the hotel, just remember great staff, basic room and keep an eye on the room rate.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Dear John T~~

Thank you for taking your time to post a review on Trip Advisor regarding your stay at our hotel!

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay, especially the service and interactions with our TEAM! Please know that we have two pools and Jacuzzis at the hotel. One is for families and the other is a lap pool and fitness center for adults only.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and truly appreciate your business.

Stephanie.bauer@hiltonc.om
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I called a few days in advance and asked for a Credit Card Authorization form and returned it prior to my arrival. Upon arrival from the airport at 8am, I had to present it again as they did not have any record of it. I made it clear that I wanted Room and Tax on one card and Incidentals on another. Unfortunately, they just went ahead and charged everything to one card. I let it go, but following simple credit card authorization instructions that are on their own form as well as verbally told to the agent checking me in were more than they could deal with. My room was in building four and was ok, but you could see areas where maintenance was needed. The bar was good, breakfast was good, and overall the service was good. The location was ok, but they should work on the following guest instructions part.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the marina. It is a really nice view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Greetings mlmoore3 ~~

Thank you for posting a review regarding your experience and stay at our hotel.

As the General Manager, please accept my sincere apology that we did not handle the 3rd party credit card authorization process accordingly. I have personally addressed this with our leaders.

If you travels bring you back to Berkeley, please feel free to reach out to me directly so that I may arrange your billing. Thank you for your feedback and business!

La Center, Washington
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I arrived at the hotel and was promptly greeted and checked in by the friendly front desk personnel. My room was in building 2 first floor with a courtyard view. The room with a king size bed was nicely appointed. The hotel is right next to the marina which is a pretty location. If you had time to walk or go for a run there is plenty of space to do this. I noticed that there is also a pool, but since I was there on business I had no time to enjoy the amenities. It appeared there were many business people staying here. I did not see any families. I went out for dinner and got into bed around 9:30pm. The hallway was very noisy, can't blame the hotel for their guests inconsideration. The toilet burped throughout the night. Whenever someone else flushed the toilet, air I'm guessing would come up through the pipes and the water would burp. Odd. The shower had good water pressure, that was nice. The hotel was clean and free parking was plentiful.

Dear SeaShellSunSand ~~

Thank you for taking your time to post this nice review regarding your stay at our hotel!!

We know that as a business traveler you have many choices and truly appreciate that you selected our hotel! I am delighted to know that our team was very welcoming and that you enjoyed your room and stay!

We hope that when you return to Berkeley.....you choose us!