“A nice location - marina view”

DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This property's location on the Berkeley Marina is the reason to stay here. The rooms are fine - consistent with this type of hotel, but if you can get a room facing the marina, your stay here will be far more enjoyable. We were on the first floor, I'd opt for the higher floors in the future, but if you just want to walk out of your terrace door, the marina path is immediately accessible. We also stayed on the 1st floor near the pool, nice if you are swimming or with kids, but more hall noise than we'd prefer in the future.
Typically, we'd avoid the hotel brunch. They are often over-priced and not worth the cost, but we had a nice surprise here. The 17.95 brunch at a lovely table overlooking the marina was well-done with a range of good choices and very attentive service.
Overall, a very good stay for this type of property.

Room Tip: get an upper floor marina view
1  Thank la811
Write a ReviewReviews (1,996)

Reviewed June 20, 2013

1 night stay in preparation for traveling to SF for sight seeing. Need to mention that we stayed here using Hilton points and therefore ended up in an accessible room in Building 1 - great view of the Golden Gate Bridge, though.

Room was nice, modern, spacious and clean. The elevator in our building left a lot to be desired but got us there. Good night's sleep with a great view of the marina and bay the next morning.

Breakfast in the hotel...forget it. I figured $10 or $12 per person but a $46 bill for two buffet's with milk and coffey? The food was not that great (runny eggs, cold bacon, stale pancakes) nor was the selection. When we arrived, there was no host at the hotess station and while inquiring about seating to other restaurant staff, we found that they didn't speak english or were not interested in helping. Better off going to McDonald's.

Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful.

1  Thank H_M42141
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I love this poperty, able to stay at a good rate (3r Part) but the service wa cosistent. The bar wa very open and drinks pricy but good. Easy to walk around with a park near by.
Most of the staff were attentive, but you can tell is managed by another company, not the brand.

Room Tip: Ask for the room facin the water
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Martin M
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My wife and I traveled to the Bay area this past weekend to attend the burial of my mother in Oakland. I found this hotel on Trip Advisor. It was very easy to get to, right off the I-80 and was a great location to get to most of the attractions in the Bay area. The staff I cannot say enough about. Especially Monique in customer service. I am a runner, and after a morning run in the adjoining Cesar Chavez Park, I put my shirt and shorts on the patio to dry a bit. We had a ground floor , marina facing room. Someone decided it was a good idea to steal my clothes from the deck. I reported the incident to her, and she was very fast to apologize and to take off a few incidental charges off my bill. She insisted :) It was a rare incident and the hotel has security. The area and view is fantastic. The only complaint I have is that there is no refrigerator in the room which was surprising for a hotel of this stature. We like to keep drinks and snacks in our room and we could not keep them cold. There is a cool market/restaurant at the entrance to the marina area called Sea breeze That was very convenient and makes some of the best sandwiches ever! ( Look for the review!) My uncle stayed here too and was pleased with everything except the fridge as well. Highly recommended for a stay in the area!

Room Tip: Ask for a marina view on floor 2 or 3.
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We have our Hilton preferences set to be on a top floor and we asked for a marina view. Our room ended up on the first floor with no marina view. When we walked in the hallway to go to our room the hallway was stinky and the carpets were very worn with rusty water coming out of the ice machine. We asked for a nonsmoking room and the room smelled awful of smoke. So we went back to the front desk which is not a close walk they gave us a different room but we had a lot of luggage, since we were to stay for quite a few days. So we asked for assistance with our luggage being that there were no luggage carts. We waited outside in the wind for almost a half hour with no help coming. At that point we went back to the front desk and asked for a complete refund and left. The customer service was awful, the housekeeping staff was rude and the place is in need of renovations.

2  Thank dana r
Stephanie B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear dana r ~
Thank you for taking your time to post a review regarding your short experience at our hotel.
As the General Manager, I sincerely apologize that we failed upon your arrival. Please know that our hotel is 100% smoke-free; however some guests do not follow the City of Berkeley Ordinance and smoke in our rooms. Our team deep cleans the rooms upon finding this....but we know cigarette smoke lingers. I understand this frustration as I am a non-smoker too.
I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you. When time permits, please do give me a call. I can be reached at 510.665.7126.
Warm regards -
Stephanie

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I've stayed here several times over the last dozen years, and some of the experiences were dreadful -- staff, food, accommodations were slipshod. Boy, have things changed for the better. Staff has a can-do attitude. Breakfast, the only meal we had, was a nice buffet with ever-present coffee-cup fillers. The location is marvelous. The only downside (as a guest) is they host lots of business conferences, and some who stay overnight can get very loud in their rooms. And the hallways of the multi-building complex can be maze like and the choice of carpeting can make your head spin. That said, we'll be back.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We only stayed one night here but what we saw of the grounds they were unbelievable! It looks like it is an older hotel that the Double Tree converted but it has so much character and again just beautiful grounds and views. We did splurge with the bay view room and were not disappointed. The breakfast was spectacular and the servers was great. There was an omelet station, hot selections and great selection of fruits and breads. The staff was so friendly.

It was very close to all of the shops and restaurants in Berkley. It is also only about 10-15 min drive to the Amtrak station.