“A Hidden Gem”

DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I decided to stay here since I was attending a conference in San Francisco and the rate here was about half of what I would have paid in the city. And besides, Berkley is a favorite spot in my book. I had never stayed here before, but it was a great experience right from the chocolate chip cookie upon arrival. I was a little concerned when I arrived, since it is at a distance from Berkley and I did not have a car, but the shuttle was very prompt and getting around town and to the BART station was no problem (also, it was an easy BART ride to SF from the North Berkley station). I was a little concerned that my room was at the front end of the hall on the first floor, but noise was never really an issue. The staff was very helpful, and I have to give particulary kudos to Mason and Paige for their help and recommendations. The food here is very good, especially the seafood, and there are several neat restaurants in easy distance. As for the room, it was a good-sized room and was quite clean. I would have liked a better view, but as this was a business trip, there was not much time to gaze at the masts in the marina. Also, there were other nice places around the property that offered good vistas (and, fortunately, the weather was nice). Next time life takes me in the direction of Berkley and SF, this place would be on my list of places to stay.

1  Thank Scott G
Stephanie B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear Scott G~

Thank you very much for taking your time to post a review regarding your stay at our hotel.
I am delighted to see that you truly had an enjoyable stay. We think our location is perfect for visits to San Francisco - a short ride on BART - free parking at our hotel - complimentary shuttle ride to BART!
Thank you for your kind words recognizing Paige & Mason - I will personally thank them for their fantastic service!!
We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest!
All the best -
Stephanie

Write a ReviewReviews (1,996)

Reviewed April 30, 2013

We were in Berkeley for a wedding and also wanted to do quite a bit of sight-seeing in the bay area. This was a great spot! Our king room with balcony had a distant view of the Golden Gate Bridge, the adjacent sailboat marina and manicured gardens. Lovely, peaceful contrast to the hub-bub of San Francisco -- yet we could drive into the city over the Bay Bridge in less than 30 minutes, even at rush hour. (Appreciated the free self-parking at the Doubletree, not the norm in SF OR other Berkeley properties.) The room was spacious, clean, recently updated. We paid ahead for the room to secure the best price. Also enjoyed the pool and jacuzzi, glassed in but with a bay view.

Room Tip: While you pay extra for the Golden Gate view, I'm glad we did. The inland view would be of the...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings JaniceJL~

Thank you for your review!!
We understand you have other hotel options in Berkeley and we are delighted you chose to stay with us! Our free parking is a plus and we do offer a great location with incredible views!

Come back soon!
Warm regards -

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Even though they've done renovations and its better than it was when I stayed here several years ago, its still clearly an older hotel that is just hanging in there. My main complaint is that the walls are VERY thin and you can hear all your neighbors, everyone going up and down the hall, etc. Newer hotels have better soundproofing. Although there is free parking, if you don't have a car, the few miles up to the Berkeley eating mecca is really not walkable, so then you're stuck with eating at the hotel. I went to a conference here and that part was great....they took care of the food service etc. very well....but I wouldn't stay here if I were not at a conference. Also not so accommodating with check in times etc. considering we were JUST there for the conference!

Room Tip: If you stay in building 4 or 5, it is a bit of a haul to get to the main conference area/lobby
1  Thank SydneyB

Dear SydneyB ~

Thank you for posting your review regarding our hotel and your last stay with us. I understand that you do not enjoy our hotel and that it is an older building - we have completed major renovations over the last two years......please know that there are other great hotels in the Berkeley area and the City of Berkeley appreciates all travelers.

I sincerely apologize we won't be your hotel of choice.

I am happy to know that you enjoyed the conference during your stay.

All the best -

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We decided to stay within driving distance to San Francisco to avoid the crowds and excessive hotel rates. Great location and views of the marina and Bay Bridge. The room was OK but will definitely benefit from the upgrade which is taking place at the moment. Reception staff were very friendly, upgrading us on arrival as we are Diamond members. The dining room and bar area had a fantastic views. Breakfast was very good offering a great range of foods. Dining staff friendly and very attentive. We sampled a bar meal was also very tasty. Traveled into San Francisco which was an easy pleasant drive over the Bay Bridge. We will definitely stay again next time we are in the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Phyllis P

Greetings Phyllis P ~

Thank you very much for taking your time to post a nice review regarding your stay at our hotel. We are happy you chose to stay with us vs. San Francisco.....it is such a close 9 mile drive!

I is great to know we upgraded your room as a Hilton hHonors Diamond member and that you enjoyed your dining experiences in the restaurant and lounge!

We can't wait to see you!

Reviewed April 26, 2013

This place could be spectacular but due to stained carpet in the hallways and limited building access. It missed the mark, but it appears to be a work in progress.On a positive note the staff from the front desk to housekeeping and bell service the Hilton standard is alive and well. They all were so nice and helpful giving me cookies upon check in and although they couldn't give me a marina view upgrade, for only $10 a night more they were able to find me a great room that did offer such a view.The room service was excellent as was the food. I would come back again hopefully the renovation to access building three will be finished.

Room Tip: try to get a room with a view
1  Thank hungry_hungry_hipp0
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We ended up spending 7 nights at this hotel, and we loved every minute of it. We had booked the first two nights from home, but loved it so much that we extended our stay for the rest of the week.

The staff at the front desk is wonderful - especially Will who was always smiling and would do everything to make us feel welcome and help us in any way he could. Thank you Will!

Our room was spacious and had a balcony with a lovely view over the marina, the Golden Gate and the SF skyline. The bed was very comfortable and we slept very well.

We had a deal that included breakfast, and the buffet had everything we could ask for including fresh fruit, yoghurt, eggs, bacon, sausages, pancakes, bread, muffins, danish, oatmeal and much much more. In the weekend you could also have omelets made to order.

We used the restaurant two evenings, and the food was really good. The only thing that bothered us on the second night was that the waiter didn't seem very friendly. My husband finished his entree when I was only halfway through mine, and the waiter took away his plate and asked if he wanted dessert. He said, he would wait and see, but as soon as I had finished my entree the waiter was back again with the bill - he didn't offer me any dessert - it just seemed like he wanted us out as soon as possible.

We were afraid it would be difficult to go the SF from Berkeley every day, but it was no problem if you avoid the rush hour.

We will definitely stay at this hotel again the next time we come to the SF area.

Room Tip: Go for a room on the 3rd floor of building 1 - they have the lovely views.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rikke21
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed one night at the Doubletree Hilton Berkeley Marina. Very comfortable bed, clean. Small elevator. Older building but being renovated inside. Indoor pool and spa. Restaurant on site has good comfort food-hamburger. Construction is still on going need one building, a little loud during the day.

Room Tip: If available, get a room with a marina view. The other side faces the parking lot.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo