“Think before you book.” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Illinois, United States
“Think before you book.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

+ Overall pretty clean, staff was courteous, shuttle driver Peter was extremely helpful.

- If you're booking for the price and looking to sightsee in San Francisco, you're better off booking a hotel in SF. The shuttle from the hotel to the Bart is pretty reliable as long as you sign up in advance, but the Bart is approx. 14 round trip per day and takes at least 30 minutes to get to the Embarcadero (1st stop by Fisherman's Wharf). Then, when you get back to the Bart, good luck in catching that shuttle back to the Doubletree. I had to call the hotel desk multiple times to receive an estimated time of 30-40 minutes wait for pick up...and one night the shuttle didn't even show, my phone died, and we ended up taking a taxi back for 15 dollars.

-When you compare this hotel with others that offer an included breakfast, this hotel might seem initially cheaper...however, the "healthy start" buffet at 13 dollars/ person which includes cereal, milk, breads, and none of the hot foods such as eggs, bacon, pancakes will make this hotel just as expensive as the others you might overlook for their higher price tags. 26 dollars per person for breakfast per day? Ridiculous! But they have captive consumers - there are no refridgerators in the rooms.

Overall, if you don't mind being charged an arm and a leg for breakfast and don't need to go into San Francisco, this hotel might be the place for you. Next time, I plan to book in the city at a place that includes breakfast and is more convenient.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

We've stayed at the Berkeley Marina Doubletree before, and I don't remember having the problem we had this time: hearing trains late at night. We didn't hear noise from adjacent rooms, but those trains made it tough to sleep.

The lobby smells like chlorine from the nearby pool. It is a nice amenity for those who are going to use it, but it's not a great first impression to smell chlorine as you enter the hotel.

Parking is free, but Internet is not.

PROS:
+ Location (an easy drive from downtown)
+ Price (reasonable)
+ Friendly reception and housekeeping staff

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KrissyR3
Stephanie B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Greetings rollie_3~

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. I sincerely apologize that this stay was not the same as your last. We are quite a ways away from the train station; however on very clear cold nights the sound does travel especially if you are on the Berkeley Hills side of the hotel.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the chlorine smell from our Family Pool - we have been monitoring to make sure that the level is proper.

If you would like to discuss your stay, please feel free to call me - 510.665.7126.
Happy New Year -
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Thank you so much to the Double Tree by Hilton, Berkeley Marina. My husband and I stay here week in and week out. We live in Tampa Florida and work in Oakland California. Double Tree has far exceeded our expectations. My husband is very comfortable here even when I dont travel with him. I feel like I am family when I join my husband. Everyone is always nice and thoughtful and going out of their way to make your stay a success. Room Serive and selection is wonderful. Prices are comparable to going out to eat at a nice restraunt. Definitely a winner with me. The food is equally as great. No complaints there at all. The location is easily accessible and gets my husband to work in about 10-15 mins on side roads. Oakland is quicker this rout that he takes..DO NOT TAKE INTERSTATE. Save much time and hassle. Infact I wil post this rout to Oakland to anyone who wants it, please email me. :) Very close to shopping, Bart Station etc. Love the Raiders, San Fran Giants, Golden State Warriors..easy access using the Bart from Double Tree..Double Tree is so great and affordable that you will find you dont want to leave the hotel. Everything you need is on the property. DOnt forget the Marina and Park. Tons of places to play with your pets. Double Tree accepts pets and are very pet friendly.
Wireless internet is also great at the property. No issues with phones or computers. Quiet and family oriented.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Happy New Year Michelle~

Thank you very much for taking your time to share the experiences during your many stays at our hotel! It is fantastic that you feel like we are the "home away from home." We understand how difficult it is to be away from home and I am proud that our team makes the DoubleTree your home.
We look forward to many more rewarding stays!
All the best -
sacramento, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stayed here on Christmas Day with my two grandchildren ages ten and thirteen. Easy check in, warm cookies, off to find room, no problems. Very nice clean room with two beds, flufffy comforters, soft pillows, bathroom was clean and well stocked. This motel/hotel is at the marina so it's no where near any traffic so noise was not an issue. The parking is free, unlike staying in San Francisco, yet so very close to the city, would stay here again in a heart beat. I like quite.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank nobedbugs
Stephanie B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Happy New Year nobedbugs ~
Thank you for taking your time to post a review regarding your stay at our hotel! I am delighted to know that you and your grandchildren enjoyed Christmas Day with us.

We are pleased that you valued our free parking too.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
All the best -
Hamburg, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

This hotel is a little down market from the normal Hilton Group. However, the room are comfortable, clean and reasonably sized. The only downside would be that there is a lot of noise transferred from the rooms next door. When I was there, there was a dog in the next room. While I love dogs, the owners would leave it alone for a time and it would bark at each new noise it heard outside the room. You also need a car, as the hotel is some way away from both Berkeley and downtown San Francisco.

There are 5 main buildings housing the rooms. So, I would advice checking in first before unloading all the luggage, as you may need to load it back up, if your room is in one of the further away buildings. This happened to me. Luckily, there was a friendly porter available to take my luggage to my room for me, as I was in Building 4, one of the furthest away buildings.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the car park. It can be noisy that side as people come and go.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Greetings Brian N~

Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize that your neighboor left their dog in the room and that it continued to bark. This has been a challenge for our hotel as we are currently "dog friendly". We may change our policy as far to many dog owners leave their dogs and they disrupt our guests.
The hotel does offer a complimentary shuttle service that leaves the hotel on the hour and will take you within a 3 mile radius, which includes two BART stations - which is awesome transportation into San Francisco.
Thanks for the nice comments regarding our Porter.

We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest.
Warm regards -
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

They have a shuttle. Rooms are clean and quiet though a little pricey. Nice pool. Nice fitness room. And the shuttle to downtown Berkeley was great. It worked out though we usually try to stay downtown.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Salconn ~
Great to read your review and know how much you appreciated our complimentary shuttle to downtown Berkeley. Our parking is free while you will pay if you stay downtown!

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back as our guest.

Happy New Year -
Charlottesville, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

I will admit, my expectations were low because it was a low priced option in the Berkeley area. Never having been there before, a marina sounded like a fun option. Well, it was. The Marina is a sight and the Bay is very pretty. The dining room and bar are well located for a great view. The walking is also very convenient to get a good, long walk.

After 50 Hilton room nights this year, I can say that this chef put on the best breakfast Buffett of all. Kudos to him. Staff is wonderful, but the grounds are sad, the structure is antiquated, the carpets smell, the common areas are a step back into the 70's and I received what i paid for. One of the wings is under construction so I think they know what they have. Once they renovate this property, I want to come back.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Wtftraveler
Stephanie B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Greetings Wtftraveler~
Thank you for sharing your stay with us on TripAdvisor.
At our hotel, we know that the look of our property is very important. Our focus on a great guest experience and reviews like yours have led us to update our property. We hope that the next time your travels bring you to the area you’ll stay with us and tell us what you think about our new guest experience that is sure to be even better than your recent stay. We hope you’ll be one of the first to enjoy our improvements.
I truly appreciate your feedback regarding our breakfast buffet - we think it is really great as well!

All the Best -