“Disappointing”

DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 27, 2012

1) I asked for close parking and I was put almost as far away from parking as possible (3 rooms were farther away). All the walking was very painful.
2) The heater broke and it was never repaired and they made no adjustment to the bill.
3) I tried three times to order room service but could never get them to pick up the phone - just got a recording telling me to call back.
4) Despite the fact that the room keys were in different purses with different women all day, when we returned to the room both keys were disabled so I had a very long and painful walk to get a good key.
5) The floor slopes so the walk to the bathroom is uphill. Scary...

Overall this place sucked.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Stephanie B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Dear Mojave_Wind -
We’re very sorry we didn’t provide you with the high quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize for the malfunctioning heating unit and we’ve reported the problem to our maintenance team. Though we will work to correct the issue, we apologize this was not fixed during your stay with us.
Your feedback regarding the level of service you received provides guidance into areas we can improve upon in the future. We’ll be sure to address the issues with the room amenities and hope you’ll consider giving us a second chance if you return to the area.
I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you if you desire - please reach out if you like: 510.665.7126.
Warm Regards -
Stephanie

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We recently spent 5 days at this property and totally enjoyed our visit. The staff was extremely helpful, the room was clean, spacious and quiet, and the view was lovely. We took a long walk along the water, saw some special wildlife and watched an incredible sunset over the bay.
The hot chocolate chip cookie was an unexpected treat on check in. We also made good use of the shuttle bus which kindly took us into Berkeley to meet our children for brunch.

Room Tip: If possible, choose a marina view. If not, building D is the most quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have stayed at the Doubletree Hotel several times and I like it for several reasons. Firstly, the management is VERY friendly and helpful. The location is beautiful, so if you are like me and like to run outside in the morning, it's perfect.. right alongside the marina.

The indoor pool looked lovely and inviting, although I didn't have time to enjoy it. The setting around the pool is also very nice if you have children you want to supervise.

I didn't have a car so really appreciated the flexible and complimentary shuttle service into the city.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the lobby, choose the first building (there are four). I found the second...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Spent the weekend here and really enjoyed it! Staff very gracious and let us check in early and check out late. That matters to me. Hot chocolate chip cookie and H2O upon arrival. Spacious room with a balcony. Decent fitness center with a pool for adults only. Separate family pool near lobby. Nice walk along the marina. Lounge and restaurant offer views of the bay and San Francisco skyline. I spilled my martini and the bartender was very nice about it and replaced it. Room service was great - hot pepperoni pizza. Definitely going back.

Room Tip: Hotel offers four buildings. Four is the furthest and private.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Building 3 slants inward toward building 4. I used a level and in some places the slope is 2 degrees. Very noticeable as you feel like you are walking downhill as soon as you walk into the room (facing the courtyard of course).

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was a guest at this hotel between October 24-29. Warm cookie at the arrival was a nice touch. This hotel is located at the best spot, secluded from the trafic noise, next to the city's marina. There is a small peninsula which is a walking distance from the hotel. The breakfast offered variety of choices, including fresh omlette with your choice of vegetables. Although the hotel was full one was still able to enjoy quiet time. The rooms are clean and well kept. I cannot imagine a nicer place to stay visiting Berkeley. I look forward to staing again in this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Vesna V
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed on the main floor of this hotel and woke up at 2am to find a man in my room. He had somehow broken in and managed to get away with my wallet, 2 bags, and my camera. As if this experience wasn't terrifying enough the hotel did absolutely nothing to follow up. I had two friends staying with me in the hotel room that night and we had to seek them out the next morning to clear the situation up. From beginning to end they completely mishandled the entire situation. When I come back to Berkeley I will avoid staying here at all costs - I would warn you to do the same.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Carmen M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley
Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel
Rose Garden Inn
Rose Garden Inn
#12 of 20 in Berkeley
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina? Share your experiences!