DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina
Rose Garden Inn(Berkeley)
$186
$179
  • Restaurant
Berkeley Rodeway Inn(Berkeley)(Great Value!)
$140
$269
$242
  • Pool
$129
Downtown Berkeley Inn(Berkeley)(Great Value!)
2,067 results
All reviewsdouble treewalking trailscookiessan franciscofamily poolcesar chavez parkfree shuttlebreakfast buffetshuttle serviceindoor poolthe golden gate bridgeeasy accessfirst floorfitness centerhotel restauranthousekeeping staffbart station
Reviewed October 21, 2012

If you want to go somewhere special for a mini honeymoon, don't let the idea of this place fool you. I paid $450 for two nights in a Golden Gate Bridge view room, and a tree blocks the view. The pool is not supervised so twenty screaming kids were running the place and when I complained I was told I should have asked for my room to be changed -- like the tree appeared overnight. No response from corporate, either.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank UglyDollOX
Stephanie B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear UglyDollOX~
Thank you for taking your time to post a review on Trip Advisor about your stay at our hotel. I am so sorry that we did not make your special getaway a success.
When time permits, please give me a call to discuss the tree and your stay.
You can reach me at 510.665.7126.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed at the Doubletree Berkeley Marina for four nights in early October. The staff was very friendly. Autumn checked us in and gave us bottled water and two warm chocolate chip cookies. Peter took our bags to our room and showed us how everything worked. Ashley helped us with directions twice. She was very friendly and a great example of what Doubletree customer service represents. It was clear that all staff had gone through customer service training and all gave the impression that the customer comes first. I noticed several documents that mentioned the CARE program. I found out that CARE stands for Creating a Rewarding Experience for each of our guests. We could agree with that.

When we arrived, the room was very clean and appeared to be in a quiet area of the property. We got to bed late and we were tired. The bed was very comfortable with plenty of comfortable pillows. The shower worked fine but the shower area with toilet was cramped. I had to dry in the shower. There was really no way to dry outside of the shower area because of the toilet.

We didn’t hear any noise from rooms around us although we know the property was almost filled. The noise came from within. The heating and cooling unit was individually controlled and mounted on an outside wall. It appeared to be original equipment and, whenever it turned on, you could hear it. Since it was a little cool, I switched to the “low heat” control when we arrived. I left it on when we went to bed. However, every time the unit turned on (which was often), it woke me up. After about an hour of this sleepless irritation, I got up and turned the unit off. Slept well after that…but we had no heat.

For the price we were paying for the room, I would have expected a more sophisticated unit. Instead we got something that was more appropriate for a 2 star $50/ night flop house.

Also, on the first night we stayed, the wind from the bay whipped around our balcony and made a whistling noise in our room. After opening the sliding glass door to the balcony, the whistling sound went away. However, if you left the door this way all night, the room would not be secure. The whistling sound, although distractive, as well as the heating/AC unit, are tolerable if you are awake. But it really causes a problem if you are trying to sleep and need quiet…which we did.

Another very customer service, front desk rep told me that they are in the process of changing the heating/AC units as well as upgrading the facilities. How long this will take is not clear. It would be nice for the general manager to inform us of plans for the property.

The internet worked well. But, if you are not members of HHilton’s higher reward programs, you would have to pay $9.95 a day from your room to use the internet or you can go to the lobby and use it free after you get a pass code from the Front Desk. I hope they are going to use the proceeds for replacing the heating/cooling units quickly.

We could also have used one or two more, conveniently-placed, wastebaskets in our room since it seemed as if we always had to find one which wasn’t close to us if we wanted to throw something away.

This hotel prides itself on its warm chocolate chip cookies…and they are very good. I guess we were entitled to two a day.

With all the complaining above, I still have to rate this hotel fairly high since most of the above-listed negatives are minor (except for the heating/cooling units). The room was clean. The king size bed was very comfortable. The service was great. And, after the first night, the wind died down and we didn’t need the heater.

Room Tip: Ask about the heating/cooling units if noise bothers you...have they been upgraded? Ask for the chocolate chip cookies every day if you have a sweet tooth.
3  Thank rcubed2
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Overall, my boyfriend and I had a great experience at the Double Tree. From the front desk to the shuttle service to the cafe and restaurant workers, everyone was extremely friendly and continuously asked if there was anything else they could do for us. The hotel appears to be mostly updated, our rooms were spacious and very clean. The food was actually above our expectations. They have a shuttle service that runs about every hour during the day till about 10 at night. This is helpful because the hotel is not quite near anything within walking distance. If you don't mind waiting then this was a great deal with a pretty location right on the marina.

Room Tip: The first building had a great view of the Marina
1  Thank Laura M
Stephanie B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Greeting Laura M ~

We truly value that you posted a great review about your stay at our hotel. So happy that our food quality exceeded your expectations in our Bay Grille!!
Love the fact that our team was very eager to please - I am very proud of each and everyone.
Our housekeepers work so hard - I have personally shared your comments regarding your room as well.

We hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed October 18, 2012

This was a really nice hotel to stay at. Right at the Berkeley Marina provides you with a breathtaking view of San Francisco and the bay. We decided to dine at the restaurant right at the hotel and were fortunate enough to watch the sunset into the San Francisco hills.

The room was very clean. The bed comfort was average. This location is very convenient to the North Berkeley BART station so it is easy to get in to SF without having to drive and try to find and pay for parking in SF.

There was ample parking and it is very convenient to the rooms.

1  Thank Nbkgman

Dear Nbkgman ~
Thank you for taking your time to post a nice review on Trip Advisor regarding your stay at our hotel!
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our fantastic views...even while you dined in our restaurant.
Please do come back soon!
We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest!

All the best -

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We contracted a wedding block at the DoubleTree for my wedding (held offsite), and that was a mistake. The sales team completely misled us in answering our key questions regarding the hotel, and we ended up feeling very disappointed in their overall service and organization. The good news is that the DoubleTree is the only vendor that underperformed for our wedding. All other vendors exceeded expectations.

Here's the list of grievances:

1) We were told our bridal suite was a two room loft with views of the Golden Gate Bridge. It ended up being one room with high ceilings with views of the other building. There was a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge in our room though.

2) Upon checking in, I was told by the desk clerk that they gave us the best room in the house. She volunteered this information. I did not ask. Meanwhile the groom's parents had another suite just down the hall from us that they were paying the same price for. We compared rooms... Their room was two rooms, had a shower with three shower heads, had a deep claw-footed bathtub, and two televisions. Our room was one room, had one shower head, had no bathtub, and one television. It was clear that there was indeed at least one room better than ours. The biggest upset here is that we were lied to. The second upset is that when we spoke up about it, they wouldn't fix the problem and told us all rooms were occupied.

3) Upon first going into our suite, my friend went to use the bathroom and ended up sitting in water as the toilet bowl was blocked up and she couldn't see the water line was at the seat level due to the dim lighting. Maintenance did fix this quickly, but we received no apology from the hotel. And as a nervous bride, this did not help my general mode of pre-wedding panic.

4) When setting up our block, we inquired into the bar's hours and asked if our guests could use the bar after our wedding at a different site. The answer given was that yes, that was possible and that the hotel keeps the hotel bar open as long as guests are using it. When I called two weeks prior to the wedding to give the hotel a heads up, they told me their bar has to close at 1:00 AM due to their liquor license, which wasn't going to work for us as we were going to get to the hotel at 12:30 am. We talked to the hotel manager to resolve this. He said we could rent out the bar for $600 from 1 - 2 am, which was completely frustrating. Just the same, we decided to not let this hold us up and we moved forward getting his price down to $300 for the whole hour. When the event actually happened, they ended up closing the bar on us at 1:30 AM despite protests from my Dad who had made the arrangements for us. (Note: We were not a rowdy group, and there was no clear need to shut down early.) They did not end up charging us for use of the bar; however, they failed to keep their commitment to us on none other than my wedding night. Big FAIL.

5) On the night before the wedding, a Friday, the bartender refused to serve my parents and cousin drinks, telling them the bar was closed. It was only 11:30 PM, and there were 20 people still in the bar. When my dad went to complain to management, the desk clerk told him that there were no managers in the hotel at that time and that my dad would have to make his complaint the following day. Again, the hotel did not keep the commitment they had promised when booking our room block, and refused the father of the bride drinks. Huge FAIL.

6) Upon check out, the hotel charged my new husband and I for an extra night, and I had to straighten it out at the front desk. This oversight is not the sort of thing that a new husband and wife should need to deal with when they easily brought the hotel $6000 worth of business by booking their wedding block there.

Overall, the DoubleTree was a major disappointment for hosting our wedding block, and I would not recommend DoubleTree to any other engaged couples looking for a hotel for their wedding guests. The general staff is pleasant enough. However, the management is really poor, and the hotel is not well run. It just seems like there is little actual management connection, communication, and training with the staff, which creates a poor experience overall. The hotel completely failed to meet too many of the expectations that the sales teams promised and sold us on.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Susan B
Stephanie B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Dear Susan B~
Thank you taking your time to post your very first review on Trip Advisor regarding your experience at our hotel.
Please know that I spent 30+ minutes discussing you and your father's experiences with our hotel. I hope that the two of you had a conversation this weekend and that he shared my commitments.
I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you Susan. Please feel free to call me at 5106657126.