“OKay but quite a distance from university.”

Quality Inn University
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed November 5, 2009

I stayed at the Inn while attending a conference at Berkeley. It was a 20 minute walk to campus. The hotel was clean and the staff were helpful but the linens seemed well used and tired. The inn was formerly a motel and the rooms have all new furniture but the dimensions of the rooms themselves have not changed so the rooms are a bit cramped with two beds, desk, mini fridge etc. The internet is fast and free and the breakfast was not bad. Book directly with the Inn via their website look for any web specials. I managed to book the facebook rate and got it for $79/night while my friends booked through a third party website and paid much more. But the area is definitely not lively after dark. For example, the Giant Burger is the closest place to eat in the evening and it is several blocks before you can find a place to have a drink. Even further if you want to eat something that isn't fast food.

Overall not a bad cheap budget hotel but don't have high expectations and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank arianneleigh

Reviewed July 31, 2008

On my first night of a few months in Berkeley, I had to improvise and look for a hotel at 9pm. This was the first available option.

While checking in, in thought they offered quite a high rate considering the simple motel style ($100), and when I hesitated they let me have it for $90. Looking back it was a good deal.

The room was much better then expected (clean and well equipped), and by now I realise that this must be about the best Berkeley has to offer. Quite odd, that a city with so many international visiters has such poor hotelfacilities. (Look forward to see the result of the renovation of Berkeley's big landmark 'Shattuck Hotel')

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed July 16, 2008

I stayed a few nights at the Inn for a conference. First of all, one has to say that it is not directly at the University, but a good 20 minutes walk from the western campus entrance. The name might be a little misleading.

The room I stayed in was newly renovated and had all sorts of nice features and was very comfortable. It was reasonably, though not spotlessly clean. There was a plasma TV, a fridge, coffee maker, a alarm clock. There is free wireless internet.

The people at the front desk were helpful when I asked them something but they did not go exactly out of their way to make things easier. One could get breakfast there, which was good, although the selection is a little bit limited.

The motel is located next to a major road so there is a fair bit of traffic, especially in the morning and evening. So if you want to sleep long, this is not really possible but I found it acceptable at night. While the area is not really lively at night, I never felt that it was dangerous.

All in all, I got a very good deal from this hotel which was much better than similar comparable hotels would offer me and I would choose it again at any time,

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank crazybeavers
Reviewed July 15, 2008

I would like to thanks all the staff from the hotel, specially Sam, the manager who gave us all the attention and offered us the best acomodation in Berkeley!!!My group is satisfied and we will bring next year more students to stay here at Inn At University!We spent three weeks feeling like in our homes!!!Everything was comfortable and everyone from the hotel was friendly with our group!!!Thanks to Sam and all the staff!!!See you next year.

Marco Nagao-Group Leader Brazil

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed July 15, 2008

We stayed at Inn At University for three weeks during the month of July 2008.Three weeks is quite a long time to stay in the same place and what we have to say is that is was excellent.Sam, the manager, was very friendly and helpfull all the time we needed him.The were confortable with a up to date Tv set, friedge and microwave oven.The bedrooms are confortable with good beds and clean linen.The bethroom towels were changed daily, anda the showers were excellent.It was a nice stay.

Maria Isabel Baracat-Group Leader.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed November 3, 2007

We stayed their two nights and here are our review:

Pros: New motel, remodeled, near transportation, flat screen tv, thick bedding/lines, a/c, and near UC-Berkeley

Cons: Very noisy, rooms were very dirty/dusty, expensive, front desk not very helpful, and probably not the safest area as someone's car was broken into.

Overall I would say this is an average motel. For the money spent (over $130/night) there were possibly better hotels in that vicinity.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank psynet
Reviewed October 16, 2007

We returned from Homecoming/Parents' weekend at Cal and had extreme difficulty booking a stay anywhere for the Friday night (we had a reservation at the Hotel Durant for Sat. night). I was apprehensive actually finding a room anywhere a week before our arrival, but discovered the reason why this Inn (actually, a motor inn) had openings is because it just opened and hasn't been tried and tested. It's about 5 blocks away from Cal and is best suited for visitors with cars (plenty of free parking), but it wasn't a problem flying in, then taking BART and walking with luggage to the motel. It was clear the new owners took care in this refurbishment. The outside was freshly painted with new potted flowers and plants. The room we had (two double beds) was compact, but tastefully decorated in various tans and browns with black trim. Modern/contemporary furniture; extraordinary modern glass washing basin and tasteful marble tile in the small bathroom. A 32" flat screen t.v. with plenty of cable channels (unlike the Durant!); air conditioning (not needed this trip!) and heating; good size refrigerator; microwave and coffee maker. What I really liked were the details -- think boutique hotel in motel accommodations. Great bedding, thick, cozy linens, thick towels. Very classy for the motel. For the price ($132 plus tax) and morning coffee (excellent, actually) and free morning snacks (packaged pastries and fresh fruit), this is a great find and I suspect that following this review I will not be able to book it as easily in the future as I did last week.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business