“Great food”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 6, 2014

The food was amazing. I found flavors that I didn't know existed. Excellent. Gumbo was surprisingly just adequate; but the shrimp creole was out of this world. Service was mediocre.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

There've been some changes since my last visit, most of them not improvements.
One exception is that the service is attentive and efficient, whereas formerly it was somewhat laid back. I didn't mind, but some other reviewers complained about it and I could see what they meant.
The prices are still high. Two of us paid nearly $50 (including the tip) for one beer, one sandwich, one salad, and what amounted to two bowls of soup. Berkeley is expensive, so this wouldn't be unacceptable if the food had been outstandingly good, but unfortunately it wasn't.
The house salad was actually excellent, and large, with candied pecans and a thick vinaigrette, but you don't go to a Louisiana restaurant for salad.
The oysters on the "po' boy" were perfectly cooked and I could have used more of them (and in Louisiana would have had more). It is next to impossible to get proper New Orleans French bread outside New Orleans unless you bake your own, and many places substitute an unsatisfactory hoagie roll. Angeline's wisely doesn't go that route. Their sandwich is on a dense, toasted bun, which means it's not a po' boy, but it could be a good fried oyster sandwich. Unfortunately, it came with dollops of Creole mustard which completely overpowered everything else (until I scraped it off). New Orleans po' boys don't come with mustard: There's a reason for that. I'd urge the restaurant to put the mustard on the table with the hot sauce, not on the sandwich.
The red beans and rice were a puzzle, basically a rice and bean soup -- far too liquid. Making it with ham hock instead of andouille is defensible, but the absence of flavor isn't. t shouldn't need hot sauce to make it interesting.
And the gumbo. It was pretty good before, but it has gone downhill. Okra gumbo is sometimes made without roux -- was this? Certainly it lacked the complexity of a good gumbo and the dish wasn't helped by the fact that the shrimp and sausage were overcooked.
It's a nice place with a nice feel to it, but it needs to keep up the standard of its food. I'll be back because I've liked it in the past, but another meal like this one and I'll go somewhere else for my expensive lunches.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

We wondered the street of Shattuck looking for a late lunch spot and stumbled upon this little jewel. I quick tipped my trip advisor and boom we had lunch. The service impeccable. Quick and courteous. Enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine (reasonably price around $8 ea). We chose our own salad and then split the main course of Voodoo Shrimp. The servings are generous so, sharing is a good option. Especially with the richness of this creamy, spicy sauce.. Finished the meal off with a share of pillow beignets.. YUM!! Rich but delicious.

The environment is lively and loud. So, if you are looking for quiet and romance this is not the spot to be. However,for good Creole style enviro and food then you got it.

Would highly recommended.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

The food here was great and the service matched. Our 6:30 reservation was honored at 6:00 when we arrived early because of the rain, but by the time we left the place was packed...obviously popular. I had the VooDoo Shrimp. It was spicy-hot and absolutely delicious. It really did seem fairly authentic NOLA right down to the Abita beer selections. Our server was great to split the check because one of us was on an expense account and met all our needs quickly. With two theaters across the street near-by, and a reasonable menu price, this would be a great place to start an evening out.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

I finally got a chance to try out this restaurant. I first called to see if a reservation was required on a weeknight and the hostess said it wasn't really full right now. Got there around 7 pm and she was right cause we were seated in less than 5 min. The place definitely was packed by the time we were seated. I ordered a bowl of gumbo and the crawfish étouffée while my friends ordered the shrimp creole and jambalaya. Portion size was excellent and the price was more than reasonable. All of our entrees were very good. I only wish my étouffée was a little spicier. The gumbo had a nice kick to it as well. Definitely coming back to this place.