“Nice Cajun. ”

Dining options: Reservations
San Francisco, California
“Nice Cajun. ”
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Tried a Jambalaya and the Fried Shrimp Po'Boy. The Jambalaya was very good. The Po'Boy was good as well - the shrimp very fresh.

Also tried the 'Swamp water' - which is mostly a lemon flavored ice tea. Was ok.

Nice decor. Were expecting a 'hole in the wall' type establishment - but turned out to be reasonably sized restaurant with proper seating.

San Jose, California
“Authentic Cajun/Creole Food Reminding Us of Big Easy”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Great restaurant served up excellent jambalaya, crawfish étouffée in a vibrant ambient. Hush puppies cornmeal fritters were also fun to eat. Buttermilk fried chicken was the one that we would have skipped if not for our boy. Overall we hope to come back and sample their other dishes.

Visited May 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Good Food, High Energy Environment”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Decent cajun food in a high energy, casual environment. Friendly and attentive service. Fortunately, I had reservations because the restaurant was very crowded, and several people waiting for tables. As I stated, the food was good but not exceptional. Large portions. We tried the jambalaya, gumbo, and hush puppies. The hush puppies were a hit. This restaurant is worth a visit while in Berkeley.

• Visited October 2013
Bay Area, California
“We love this place!”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We have to come here once a quarter for the fried chicken - my son LOVES it!! He also likes the hushpuppies! I like the Gumbo with a Dixie Beer ;) Casual and friendly atmosphere. Never have to wait too long for a table. Reminds me of how much I love New Orleans and need to go back!

• Visited August 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent New Orleans Experience in California”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

As one who has lived in New Orleans, I can say that the food I had here at Angeline's was every bit on bar with some of the best of what you will sample in the actual city of New Orleans. I started off with the hush puppies appetizer. The dish was a lot more "classy" than what you're likely to find in the south and also probably tasted better; it was served with a honey butter that really made the plate more than just a fried ball of dough. Then, I moved on to the jambalaya. This is quite a spicy dish, just as you will find it to be in New Orleans, and, again, every bit as delicious. Finally, I finished off the meal with Angeline's Bananas Foster Bread Pudding. Now here I have to tell you that I thought Angeline's version fell short of the Brennan's classic. Although the bread pudding was tasty, it was not served with ice cream (though whip cream is an option for an additional charge), and it was not lit on fire at your table, as is done at Brennan's.

Our waiter was overworked, but when he was able to attend to our table, he provided excellent service and took note of what we might need before we even had to ask for it. I do have to say, though, that they need more personnel, as our water glasses were never once refilled, for example.

Finally, if you go to Angeline's without a reservation (they do accept a limited amount), then expect to wait. As a group of two, they told us the wait at 7:50 on a Thursday night might be as long as 40 minutes!!! (Fortunately, however, it ended up being half that time.)

Overall, Angeline's is a great option for those who know and love NOLA cuisine or just want to try it for the first time. The prices are reasonable, and the exceptionally long waits are a testament to how loved the place is. It's still worth your time in my opinion.

• Visited August 2013