“We love this place!”

Angeline's Louisiana Kitchen
Ranked #11 of 695 Restaurants in Berkeley
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bay Area, California
“We love this place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

We have to come here once a quarter for the fried chicken - my son LOVES it!! He also likes the hushpuppies! I like the Gumbo with a Dixie Beer ;) Casual and friendly atmosphere. Never have to wait too long for a table. Reminds me of how much I love New Orleans and need to go back!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent New Orleans Experience in California”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

As one who has lived in New Orleans, I can say that the food I had here at Angeline's was every bit on bar with some of the best of what you will sample in the actual city of New Orleans. I started off with the hush puppies appetizer. The dish was a lot more "classy" than what you're likely to find in the south and also probably tasted better; it was served with a honey butter that really made the plate more than just a fried ball of dough. Then, I moved on to the jambalaya. This is quite a spicy dish, just as you will find it to be in New Orleans, and, again, every bit as delicious. Finally, I finished off the meal with Angeline's Bananas Foster Bread Pudding. Now here I have to tell you that I thought Angeline's version fell short of the Brennan's classic. Although the bread pudding was tasty, it was not served with ice cream (though whip cream is an option for an additional charge), and it was not lit on fire at your table, as is done at Brennan's.

Our waiter was overworked, but when he was able to attend to our table, he provided excellent service and took note of what we might need before we even had to ask for it. I do have to say, though, that they need more personnel, as our water glasses were never once refilled, for example.

Finally, if you go to Angeline's without a reservation (they do accept a limited amount), then expect to wait. As a group of two, they told us the wait at 7:50 on a Thursday night might be as long as 40 minutes!!! (Fortunately, however, it ended up being half that time.)

Overall, Angeline's is a great option for those who know and love NOLA cuisine or just want to try it for the first time. The prices are reasonable, and the exceptionally long waits are a testament to how loved the place is. It's still worth your time in my opinion.

Washington
“Wish more restaurants took the time to care like the wait staff does here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I had the catfish and hush puppies accompanied by the side of potato salad.This was ctoo spicy for me and the waiter suggested some whipped sweet potatoes which ended up being the perfect accompaniment!

California
“Terrific New Orleans food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Oh boy! What a great discovery. Everything on the menu was so tempting that I ordered too many courses. And then sampled bites from my companion's dinners too. Everything was fantastic! They have a fun selection of Louisiana beers too. I will definitely go back!

Texas
“Great tastes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

My family and I were there with 5 other friends on a Wednesday evening. Each of us enjoyed our meal. I had the mixed grill, which offered a nice variety, and each item was excellent. A number of others ordered the catfish, and they enjoyed that meal too - including hush puppies, potato salad, etc. Everything tasted very good. There is one item I do not recommend - the appetizer of 6 large shrimp. For $11, I expected those 6 shrimp to be much bigger. Most people would not consider them large. In this regard, the appetizer was not worth the money. All other items were good, and the service was excellent. The hostess was especially kind to us even though we were a large party and it was not easy to find a place for us. I highly recommend this restaurant - just not the appetizer I mentioned.

• Visited July 2013