See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 23, 2010

This Hotel has it all. Location, friendly service and nice rooms!
I recommend it to any traveler for business or pleasure!
Family owned and operated. Great customer service!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 11, 2010

It was a pleasure staying at this hotel. It just made the visit to Berkeley very comfortable and easy

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank iscomer
Reviewed May 11, 2010

This small boutique hotel was perfect for my stay in Berkeley. It was affordable and conveniantly located. A block away you can enjoy all the festivities Berkeley has to offer. I would recommend this place to anyone looking to have a good night's rest for an affordable price.

1  Thank Vacationerr82
Reviewed October 15, 2009

My daughter is in her first year at Cal. We first stayed, per recommendation from friends, at the Marriott in Emeryville. We love Marriotts, but it was too complicated for us, flying in, to take the BART and then the "Emery-go-round" bus.

I looked on my trusted TripAdvisor and found the Downtown Berkeley Inn. Reasonably priced, clean rooms. It's not the Marriott, but the location to Cal is wonderful! It's close to BART. That's a plus when you are flying into Oakland. It's nice to be able to visit our daughter and walk or take the city bus up to her dorm, come back and take a rest, and go back again. No complications. Plus, there are some really, really good restaurants all around this area. We love Angeline's Cajun restaurant right there on Shattuck.

The people who run the hotel are nice and helpful. We've stayed here so many times already that we feel we've established a nice relationship.

It has a small, free parking lot. That's almost unheard of at Berkeley hotels.

We're happy we've found our "home" in Berkeley for the next four years.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ilovetotravel4
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I don't understand negative reviews. We have stayed here many times over the past two years, and the room has always been very clean and pleasantly decorated, in a kind of minimalist Asian style. Very comfortable platform bed. Good air conditioning; large TV; good lighting. I know that some have complained about the noise, but I don't know of any hotels near downtown Berkeley that are more quiet; it is after all a city. One can also close the windows (which cuts down on traffic noise tremendously) and rely on the air conditioning to stay cool. It's in a great location, one block away from Shattuck with many nearby cafes, restaurants, used book and comic stores, and a BART station. Mainly, though, it's the staff that stands out. They are incredibly friendly and helpful. Last year, we brought my mother to Berkeley and needed to rent a wheelchair. Because of the holidays, it needed to be delivered before we arrived. Sudeh (the owner) accepted delivery and stored it for us in her private quarters until we came. Most recently, I asked the cleaning crew for a packet of decaf coffee and was told they didn't have any. The very next day, Sudeh brought me some and will keep it for me for the next time I stay there. I found this to be amazing service. I also noticed a review that complained about staff. Last year, there was a woman who was not so much unfriendly as abrupt. She no longer works there. We had had to stay many hotels in Berkeley, because we often went at busy times. The Downtown Berkeley Inn has been the best.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple