See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 23, 2016

I travelled to Berkeley in May for a friend's wedding. This happened to coincide with graduation, so rates were at their most expensive (everywhere).

The Downtown Berkeley Inn is basically a motel, complete with the small front check-in desk, the faded carpeting, and peeling paint in the room. The door opens to the outside world, and it is thankfully covered (protecting both from rain and sun). The rooms are sufficiently large, the wifi works, there is hot water. The sink is not in the bathroom.

There is no breakfast, although within a couple of blocks are nice places for coffee. The closest is by the library, but I didn't go there. It is quite convenient to Berkeley and to BART -- a big convenience.

And, if the price were a lower, then I would give the place a higher rating. But I expect a little bit more at full price.

• Stayed: May 2016, traveled solo
2  Thank GL_from_NYC
Reviewed November 15, 2015

Recently stayed here for a conference at Cal. It's a 15 minute walk from the main campus, but close to a lot of restaurants and shops in the downtown area. The staff were courteous and friendly. There was a little bit of noise from the neighbouring streets at night, but nothing too egregious. The rooms were clean and well appointed. Great value for money.

• Stayed: October 2015, traveled on business
Reviewed October 26, 2015 via mobile

Recently stayed two nights at the Downtown Berkeley Inn. The staff was accommodating (I arrived late, no problem) and the rooms were clean and a decent value. Parking is hit or miss - they have a dozen or so spots inside the hotel courtyard - after that I am unsure where you park. The room had 2 low beds (no box springs) which was fine and a couple of small,pillows for each. In room a/c wall units you use a remote control to work. Rooms look out over the parking 'courtyard'. Really good location and very decent price. I would consider staying again.

Stayed: October 2015, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2015 via mobile

I recently stayed here for business and loved the quiet, clean, and boutique rooms. The service was beyond attentive and I almost felt I was at home. It is mere steps away from the UC Berkeley campus and centrally located to everything in the Bay Area. There are tons of restaurants and bars to unwind in a block away from the hotel. Most importantly the bed was so comfortable and you can't hear your neighbors. I'll be back here on my next venture to San Francisco/East Bay Area.

Stayed: September 2015, traveled on business
2  Thank MoJones14
Reviewed August 16, 2015

We picked the DBI because it was close to the Institute for Buddhist Studies where we were attending a conference. It was recommended by a friend and we were very happy with it. We called ahead and Mrs. Patel was waiting for us to arrive. She told us the story of the inn and how she expanded it after becoming a widow with two small children. It is clearly a labor of love for the family. The rooms are small and simple, but very clean. And the staff is extremely attentive. We were there for six days and our room was freshened every day. It was a great home base from which to explore Berkeley. We were able to sleep comfortably without much use of air-conditioning by opening the windows.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second and third floor are more secure.
  • Stayed: August 2015, traveled on business