“Great place, great value, great location, great staff!”

Downtown Berkeley Inn
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed June 25, 2009

The location is great and the staff there are amongst the nicest I've ever met. The room sizes are a bit small but the has been redone w/ modern chic decor, super comfortable foam beds, and large plasma tv's. One block from Shattuck. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 25, 2009

Our extended family rented a number of rooms here for my daughter's wedding. The location right in downtown Berkeley and close to BART was extremely convenient. We all had similar experiences.

As some have mentioned, there is no real lobby, but who needs a lobby when there are ~10 restaurants within a block. The staff was very helpful. Many of us traveled on Southwest, and we left them our confirmation number, name, and time, and they took care of the boarding passes. The result, a very low boarding number in every case, and a refusal to accept any tip as "this is what we do."

The rooms are furnished ala hotels we stayed at in Rome and Venice. The glass drinking glasses and coffee cups were a nice touch, and they were clean. The air conditioner uses a remote and all was fine once we figured that out.

The hotel is in downtown Berkeley, so there was some noise from the adjacent street, Milvia. My parents were in the back and backed up to the public library (no street) and it was quieter. But the noise was not objectionable other than the post-wedding party my kids had downstairs, and that was quiet once the management asked them to move inside. They were two floors directly below us and we did not hear a peep through the structure.

We very much enjoyed the hotel and our stay in Berkeley. For the money, I don't think one can beat the experience we had at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2009

I couldn't have asked for a better stay. It was a perfect ending for a perfect vacation. The room was great and beds were really comfortable. Close to the graduaution I was attending. Will definitely stay there again if I am in the area.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 26, 2009

You may be enticed by the offerings: a brand new TV, a foam bed, newly remodeled bathrooms. You have an alternative in nearby hotels, at cheaper price, eg. Berkeley City Club with even breakfast offered is a much better alternative.

When we got there, we had to ring a bell to get customer service, a practice that is normal for after hours, after midnight, not at 2pm, early in the afternoon or even in the morning. Then, after check-in, a thick ball of dust in the corner of the room got my asthma going so bad, I called for clean-up, here comes the cleaning lady with Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner, that is more like a house vacuum cleaner, and it did not suck up any dirt at all. Poor cleaning lady, as sweaty as she was, as hard as she worked, the owner did not even CARE ENOUGH to buy her a DYSON or an industrial vacuum cleaner. Now, you know that is wrong, expect workers to work harder with poor equipment supplied. It does not stop there.

The directtv comes in and out, it is intermittent in operation, sometimes working, sometimes not. Then, you go to the backroom and you take the towels, they are raggetty, with holes and they feel like sandpaper, for lack of fabric softener.

It does not stop there. There are two small pillows given to you for a king-size bed, it makes you feel like a dwarf, you have to ask more pillows. But the pillows also triggered my asthma even more.

Don't expect breakfast, if you cannot even get decent 8 to 10 hours customer service in person. A poorly run facility who does not care about its customers, I should have known when they charged me immediately for the entire weekend stay a full three months in advance! They seem to care more about monies, than repeat customer service from goodwill and good customer relations!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank prosyad
Reviewed May 6, 2009

I read the reviews and they sounded great. The capets are stained and gross. I woke up freezing in the middle of the night as the heater was broken, and had to wake the night attendent (while standing on the sidewalk, ringing a bell) to change rooms. If they put new carpet in and new bed spreads it would be ok, but until that happens its just plain gross.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 21, 2009

This was my second stay at the Downtown Berkeley Inn. I stayed for eight nights and everything was absolutely perfect. The owners were so welcoming and so accomodating. My room was always immaculate when I returned at the end of the day-- no matter what time I left. The television service was excellent and the bed was so comfortable---much better than the more expensive hotels I have stayed in. I loved the proximity to everything in Berkeley, including one block to Starbucks, Pete's or Common Grounds coffee places in the morning. I will stay at this hotel again on my next trip as the owners take care of their guests and bend over backwards to be sure you enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2009

My husband & I both felt that after staying with Sudha & her staff, our lives have been truly enriched! Not only were our basic needs for a safe, exceptionally clean and truly comfortable bed met, but both she and her staff went out of their way each day to make us feel so very special and taken care of. Every request was met, and with a special warmth and concern each time! Even our request for especially early morning borading passes to be printed were met with the utmost care and professionalism! We never once felt any doubt about the true sincerity shown regarding our welfare in every aspect- which is often overlooked with the bigger chain hotels. We were never treated as merely patrons filling a room, but like extended family! We will never forget our week long stay at the Downtown Berkeley Inn, and look forward to returning some day. For us, we could not have asked for anything better! Do not think twice about the cleanliness, hospitality, safety or location of this hotel. All are superb! They even provide free parking! The Downtown Berkeley Inn should be regarded as the one hotel the 'others' should aspire to be exactly like!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple