“Clean, friendly, basic, location location location”

Downtown Berkeley Inn
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed February 10, 2008

Clean, yes; Basic, yes; Location? Fabulous. There's FREE parking, there's an elevator to get to the upper floors. There is not much the owners can do about the noise that has provoked complaints in other reviews - no more or less than any other mildly urban location. A great place to stay. Sudha is very sweet!!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 30, 2008

My stay at the Downtown Berkeley Inn was so fabulous, I hardly know where to begin. My room was immaculate, decorated with style and class (not to mention a huge flatscreen TV), spacious, and more than comfortable, with the feel of a trendy botique hotel. The location is spectacular (one block off of Berkeley's trendy shopping and dining district). Parking is inside the hotel's courtyard and off the street. I travel extensively on business and have rarely found a hotel this nice for twice the price. I enjoyed myself so much I extended my trip an extra night!

A note about the staff: I found them to be very couteous and responsive. When I hurt my knee sightseeing, they personally brought ice to my room two nights in a row (once after 10 PM) so I wouldn't have to walk to get it, and seemed genuinely happy to do so. Thank you so much for a wonderful stay!

Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed January 5, 2008

I work part time in Emeryville, CA. When all the hotels were sold out in Emeryville, I ventured to Berkeley. Based on the Trip Advisor reviews, I chose to stay at the Downtown Berkeley Inn. I wasn't disappointed.

The rooms are very feng shui with very cool decor including a flat screen TV. Despite the fact this is somewhat of a "motel" - that is all rooms have exterior doors, I felt safe.

Free parking and an amazingly nice desk staff make this a good choice for Berkeley.

For a long-trip business traveler this wasn't exactly ideal for me - no work out room and no restaurant. But if you don't care about these things, this place is a great choice. I'd definately stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank transmeier
Reviewed December 22, 2007

Opening this year a block off Shattuck Ave., downtown Berkeley, this Indian owned and managed hotel at 2001 Bancroft is a great value in many respects. As anyone traveling to Berkeley knows, there are no great downtown hotels (in fact most are pretty poor)--but this one is good for its niche. It is budget priced, has simple decor in ample sized rooms, and is very very clean. Service is outstanding. The owner, Sandeep Patel, is a very helpful person.

Drawbacks--only three, of varying importance. One, you need to be on an upper floor in order to have privacy with window shades open. Two, the street is noisy and some of that noise carries to the rooms (though not terribly), and three, parking can be an issue. The hotel has parking, though not enough for every car, and on street parking can be difficult to find. The owner will work with you as much as possible, but be aware this could be a problem. We did not have a problem on our trip.

Unless something new and better comes on the scene before our next visit, we will certainly return.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MaryRP
Reviewed December 12, 2007

The staff at this "inn" were nice for the most part, but the rooms were disgusting - especially for the price. The condition of the room was not a fluke. I checked into one, and was moved to another and both were awful. The carpets were stained with who knows what, (I was able to make out a tire track, most likely from a bicycle). The carpets were not vacuumed - the rooms smelled - and there was a bug on my pillow. Like the carpets, the sheets were stained in both rooms, including the comforter in one. I slept with my clothes on because I was too afraid to do otherwise. There was parking for free, a plus most places, but here people parked in front of the door to my room, I assume because all of the parking spaces were full. Walking around a parked car to get in my smelly, stained room was not ideal. I had a reservation for 3 nights, but only stayed one, and that was too long. I ended up in a hotel outside of Berkely that was less expensive through a travel site. Not as conveinently located, but well worth it .

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank julieam5
Reviewed December 3, 2007

yes, the location is superb, and the older woman who runs the place seems lovely.

but i think those of you considering staying here should know that it is a straight-up motel, and a pretty cold one at that. as motels go, it is fine (clean, safe) - but i think the word "inn" (sans "motor") connotes some kind of hospitality, of which there is none here.

the worst part was the way i was treated by the college-age daughter of the proprietor. on my last night, i came home at 10:30 and my key did not work. i went back downtstairs and rang the bell. after waiting five full minutes, i rang again (i was freezing and had to use the restroom). after another two minutes standing alone in the cold, i rang another couple of times. was i impatient? yes -- but since i was a paying guest, i do not think i deserved what came next.

the daughter came fuming through the door and began screaming at me that i should just ring the bell once: "we're on the THIRD FLOOR," she snarled, snatching the defective key out of my hands (as if i knew). i told her she was being rude, since i didn't know it was customary to wait outside for that long. "no YOU'RE being rude," she screamed, shoved the key back through the window and stormed off. clearly i had disturbed her; she seemed indignant at having to provide customer service to anyone.

stay here if you're looking for a clean motel close to campus, but don't expect too much. i think the daughter may write the reviews herself.

Stayed: November 2007
2  Thank gypsyfeet1
Reviewed November 30, 2007

My wife and I stayed for three nights last month and were very pleased for the price.

Nice location: close to La Note and Herbivore restaurants. A block away from Long's Drugs and Crossroads Thrift Shop..

Friendly owners: An Indian widow runs the place and is very helpful.

Soft bed: super comfy.